- Hands-on time:
- 10 mins. to 15 mins.
- Baking time:
- 15 mins. to 18 mins.
- Total time:
- 30 mins. to 45 mins.
- 12 cupcakes
Golden brown and speckled with fragrant pecans, or almonds, these cupcakes make a great mid-winter warming treat with a cup of tea or hot chocolate. Making homemade butterscotch candy topping just adds to the "wow" factor of your cupcake adventures.
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup pecan or almond flour (a.k.a. pecan or almond meal)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon butterscotch flavor, optional; for enhanced flavor
- 2 tablespoons butterscotch schnapps (optional, but very good)
- 1) Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12 cup cupcake tin with cupcake papers.
- 2) Mix together the flour, pecan or almond meal, salt, butter, sugars, baking powder, egg, vanilla and HALF of the milk. Beat on medium speed for two minutes.
- 3) Scrape the bowl, add the remainder of the milk, and beat for another 2 minutes. Stir in the butterscotch flavor and schnapps.
- 4) Divide the batter evenly into the cupcake papers. Each cup will be about 3/4 full.
- 5) Bake for 15 to 18 minutes until lightly golden brown around the edges. A cake tester inserted into the center will test clean.
- 6) Cool and ice as desired. Italian buttercream is a favorite, flavored with two to three tablespoons butterscotch schnapps.
- 7) To make homemade butterscotch candy for topping your cupcakes, see our recipe for Homemade Hard Candy.
- 8) Yield: 12 cupcakes.
Tips from our bakers
- If you don't have the butterscotch flavor, you can use 3 tablespoons of schnapps and leave the flavor out.
- This recipe doubles well.