- Hands-on time:
- 30 mins. to 50 mins.
- Baking time:
- 20 mins. to 25 mins.
- Total time:
- 2 hrs 35 mins. to 3 hrs 45 mins.
- 8 servings
There's nothing quite like the aroma of fresh cinnamon rolls baking in the oven — surely a must-have on everyone's breakfast treat list. Here's a gluten-free version of cinnamon rolls that's sure to warm your home on Sunday morning.
- 2 1/2 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 4 tablespoons soft butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm milk, plus extra for brushing on the dough
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons soft butter
- 1) To make the dough: Combine all the dry ingredients in your mixer bowl. Add the soft butter, blending on low speed until you have coarse crumbs.
- 2) Add the oil, milk, egg, and flavorings, beating until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat on medium-high speed for 2 to 3 minutes; scrape the bowl down again. Cover the dough and let it rise for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until visibly puffy.
- 3) While the dough is rising, make the cinnamon filling. Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and soft butter to make a paste.
- 4) When the dough has risen, turn it out onto a lightly greased piece of parchment paper and press it gently into an 8" x 16" rectangle.
- 5) Brush milk over the surface of the dough; this will help keep the rolls and filling from separating as they bake. Spread the filling over the dough, leaving a 1/2" to 1" border of filling-free dough around the edges.
- 6) With the long edge of the parchment closest to you, roll the dough forward, allowing the paper to do the work for you. The dough should release from the paper as you roll. Cut the log into 8 slices, using a sharp serrated knife or dental floss. To use floss, draw it under the dough and pull each end simultaneously across the top to cut the rolls.
- 7) For best results, place each roll into the well of a well-greased muffin pan; they'll rise higher with the support of the pan. Allow the rolls to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until puffy. Toward the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 8) Bake the rolls for 20 to 25 minutes, until they're golden brown.
- 9) While the rolls are baking, make the icing. Mix the cream cheese, sugar, butter, and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth.
- 10) Remove the rolls from the oven. Ice them immediately.
- Yield: 8 rolls.