- Hands-on time:
- 35 mins. to 40 mins.
- Baking time:
- 20 mins. to 25 mins.
- Total time:
- 3 hrs to 3 hrs 20 mins.
- 16 servings
Are you searching for a cinnamon bun that goes beyond the basics? This recipe features a rich white chocolate dough, swirled with two fillings: thick cinnamon, and white chocolate/cream cheese. Breakfast special occasions will never be the same.
- 1/2 cup prepared Baker's Cinnamon Filling OR 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon
White chocolate filling
- 1/4 cup softened cream cheese
- 3/4 cup white chocolate, melted
- additional melted white chocolate for drizzling, optional
- 1) To make the dough: Combine all of the ingredients in the order listed, mixing and kneading by hand, bread machine, or stand mixer to make a smooth dough. It should be soft, smooth, and feel bouncy and elastic under your hands.
- 2) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, or 8-cup measure. Cover it, and let the dough rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until it's become quite puffy, though not necessarily doubled in size.
- 3) While the dough is rising, lightly grease two 9" round cake pans.
- 4) Transfer the risen dough to a lightly greased work surface, and pat or roll it into a 16" x 12" rectangle. It's a nice, soft dough, and rolls out easily.
- 5) To make the white chocolate filling: Mix the cream cheese and melted white chocolate. Spread in an even, thin layer over the dough.
- 6) Add the cinnamon filling, spreading it evenly over the white chocolate layer. It's fine if they mix together.
- 7) Starting with a long edge, roll the dough into a log and seal the seam well with the heel of your hand. Slice into 16 even slices.
- 8) Evenly space the slices in two 9" round pans. Cover lightly and let rise until noticeably puffy, 40 to 50 minutes
- 9) Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 10) Bake the buns for 20 to 25 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and place the pan on a rack. You can ice and serve the rolls right from the pan, or turn them out for a prettier presentation.
- 11) Drizzle the warm buns with additional melted white chocolate, if desired; serve warm.
- Yield: 16 servings.
Tips from our bakers
- For yet another touch of decadence, sprinkle 1/2 cup cinnamon chips over the white chocolate and cinnamon fillings.