- Hands-on time:
- 5 mins. to 10 mins.
- Baking time:
- Total time:
- 4 hrs 5 mins. to 8 hrs 10 mins.
- 1 quart
When summer comes, turn to this light and lemony sherbet. Just a handful of ingredients and a quick whirl through your ice cream machine will give you a tart and tangy dessert. Served with fresh fruit, it makes for a lovely ending to a warm summer's day.
- 1/2 cup lemon juice powder*
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons), chilled
- 2 cups whole milk, very cold
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional, for smoother consistency)
- *See "tips," below.
- 1) Combine the sugar and lemon juice powder in your blender. Pulse 8 to 10 times to combine well. Lemon juice powder does not easily dissolve in liquids, so it must be blended with the sugar first.
- 2) Add the cold lemon juice, milk and cornstarch if using to the blender and blend for 30 seconds to combine well. If using the bowl method, whisk together until very well combined.
- 3) Pour the cold mixture into your ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Yield: 1 quart
Tips from our bakers
- No lemon juice powder? Reduce the sugar to 1/3 cup, and replace the lemon juice powder with 1/3 cup instant lemonade drink mix. Adjust to taste.
- Lemon zest (grated lemon rind), lemon oil , and a few drops of yellow food coloring are all great additions for those who like their lemon desserts bright and bold. Adjust to taste.