- Hands-on time:
- 20 mins. to 25 mins.
- Baking time:
- 15 mins. to 15 mins.
- Total time:
- 35 mins. to 40 mins.
- 12 doughnuts
If you're eating or baking gluten-free, and need a glazed doughnut fix, reach for a dozen of these maple cake doughnuts! They're moist, tender, and finished with a smooth, sweet, maple-y bourbon glaze.
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon bourbon whiskey (please see tip below for substitution)
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- 1) Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly grease two doughnut pans.
- 2) Mix the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum in a bowl, and set aside.
- 3) With an electric mixer and paddle attachment, beat the butter and maple sugar until they're fluffy and the sugar begins to dissolve, about 2 minutes. Then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well.
- 4) Stir the maple flavoring into the milk and add it alternately with the blended dry mixture to the butter/sugar.
- 5) Beat the batter on medium speed for approximately 30 seconds, then scrape the sides of the bowl and beat for an additional 30 seconds.
- 6) Fill a large piping bag (or zip-top bag) with the batter, and pipe it into your prepared doughnut pans. Allow the batter to rest for 10-15 minutes before baking.
- 7) Bake the doughnuts for 15 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and allow them to rest for just a minute or two before turning them out onto a rack to cool.
- 8) To make the glaze: Mix all of the glaze ingredients, stirring until smooth.
- 9) Dip the cooled doughnuts into the glaze and turn them out onto a cooling rack set atop parchment paper, to catch the drips.
- Yield: 12 doughnuts.
Tips from our bakers
- These doughnuts are best when eaten the day they're made. If you know you won't use them all right away, keep some, unglazed, in an airtight container or plastic bag. Reheat them in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds and glaze just before serving.
- Does bourbon give you the blues? Try using a teaspoon of rum or rum extract instead or just omitting the addition altogether.
- Muffins are a great alternative if you are without a doughnut pan. Just add about 3 minutes onto the baking time and you're good to go!