- Hands-on time:
- 8 mins. to 10 mins.
- Baking time:
- 2 hrs to 3 hrs
- Total time:
- 2 hrs 10 mins. to 3 hrs 10 mins.
- 8 servings
A slow cooker can be your best friend when it comes to making dessert. A few simple pantry staples such as peanut butter, sugar, milk, and cocoa powder, plus a couple hours of hands-off cooking, and you'll be savoring this warm, rich cake after a hard day's work.
- 1) To make the cake: In a medium-sized bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the peanut butter, milk, butter or oil, and vanilla. Stir to make a smooth, thick batter; it'll be closer to a loose cookie dough than a traditional cake batter.
- 2) Grease the bottom and sides of a 4-quart slow cooker. Pour in the batter and spread it level. You can use a 6-quart cooker instead; the baking time will be closer to 2 hours than 3 hours.
- 3) To make the topping: In the same bowl, stir together the topping ingredients. Pour over the cake batter in the slow cooker. DO NOT STIR TOGETHER WITH THE CAKE BATTER.
- 4) Cover the cooker with the lid and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours. The cake is done when a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 5) Serve warm from the slow cooker, with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Refrigerate any leftovers for 2 to 3 days.
- Yield: approximately 8 servings.