- Hands-on time:
- 25 mins. to 30 mins.
- Baking time:
- 8 mins. to 14 mins.
- Total time:
- 1 hrs 43 mins. to 1 hrs 54 mins.
- 18 to 20 cookies
Get ready to roll and cut this gluten-free cookie into whatever shape fits the occasion. Its light, tender texture and vanilla-y flavor will have you sharing it far and wide!
- 1) Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets. Preheat the oven to 350°F (for drop cookies; if you're making cutout cookies, don't preheat the oven).
- 2) Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla stir until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl and stirring again briefly.
- 3) Add the dry ingredients, stirring just until the dough comes together.
- 4) To make drop cookies: Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls (a teaspoon cookie scoop works well here) onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2" between them. Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes; they won't brown, but will feel set. Remove them from the oven, and cool completely on the pan.
- 5) To make cutout cookies: Scoop the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, flatten it into a disk, and wrap. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
- 6) Preheat your oven to 350°F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and dust your work surface and dough with cornstarch or gluten-free flour.
- 7) Roll the dough about 1/4" thick and cut the shapes of your choice with a cookie cutter. Place cutouts on a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill for 10 minutes. Re-chill any dough scraps before rolling.
- 8) Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and cool completely before icing.
- Yield: about 4 dozen small (1 3/4" to 2") drop cookies; or 18 to 20 larger cutout cookies.
Tips from our bakers
- For a wonderful variation on flavor, try adding the grated rind (zest) of 1 orange and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg to the dry ingredients.
- Drop cookies baked for 12 minutes will be soft and tender; bake them a couple of additional minutes for a more sturdy cookie.