- Hands-on time:
- 15 mins. to 20 mins.
- Baking time:
- 12 mins. to 15 mins.
- Total time:
- 30 mins. to 35 mins.
- 2 dozen filled cookies
Coconut macaroons from a mix are about as easy as it gets for cookies. Start with our wonderful mix and add tart, tangy pineapple plus a creamy coconut filling to create a whole new taste sensation.
coconut creme filling
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup coconut milk powder
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut flavor
- pinch of salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk, as needed
- 1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two baking sheets, or line them with parchment paper.
- 2) To make the cookies: Stir together the cookie mix, pineapple topping, and dried pineapple. The mixture will be chunky.
- 3) Add the boiling water and stir until you have a cohesive and slightly sticky mass.
- 4) Scoop tablespoon-sized portions of cookie dough and roll each into a rough ball, about the size of a large walnut. A tablespoon cookie scoop works beautifully here. Roll the balls in toasted coconut and place on the baking sheet, about 1" apart. Use your thumb to make a depression in the center of each ball.
- 5) Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 6) Remove the cookies from the oven and set them aside to cool completely while you prepare the filling.
- 7) To make the filling: Beat the shortening, coconut milk powder, sugar, flavor, and salt with a hand or stand mixer until soft and creamy. Milk may be added by the teaspoonful to smooth out the filling as needed.
- 8) To fill the cookies, place the filling in a piping bag with a large open tip, or in a zip-lock bag with a corner snipped off. Pipe 1/2 tablespoon of filling into the depression of each cookie. Serve at room temperature.
- Yield: about 2 dozen filled cookies.
Tips from our bakers
- Looking for a similar flavors that don't involve a mix? Check out our Pineapple-Coconut Cookies.
- Can you use butter instead of shortening for the filling? Yes, you can; but the result won't be quite the same "bakery-style" filling.