- Hands-on time:
- 25 mins. to 30 mins.
- Baking time:
- 15 mins. to 20 mins.
- Total time:
- 45 mins. to 55 mins.
- 8 to 10 servings
Enjoy the balance between chocolate joy and protein-packed nutrition with this decadent cream cheese chocolate mousse, scented with almond and nestled in a rich pistachio crust.
- 1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2) To make the crust: Pulse 3/4 cup of pistachios in your food processor, taking care not to over-process into a paste.
- 3) Add the ground pistachios to the rest of the crust ingredients and mix quickly with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture looks crumbly; it'll hold together if you squeeze a handful of it.
- 4) Line a rectangular 4¼" x 13¾" x 1" tart pan; 4 mini 4½" x ¾" tart pans; or a 9" tart pan with the crust mixture, pressing it evenly up the sides to make a thick crust as pictured above.
- 5) Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool the crust completely before filling it.
- 6) To make the mousse: Mix 1/4 cup of the confectioners' sugar with the Instant ClearJel.
- 7) Whip the heavy cream to soft peaks, then add the sugar mixture. Continue beating until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- 8) Mix the remaining 3/4 cup sugar with the cream cheese, softened butter, and almond extract. Set the mixture aside.
- 9) Melt the bittersweet chocolate in a microwave or in a double boiler set over a burner.
- 10) Add the melted chocolate to the cream cheese mixture, and beat to combine.
- 11) Fold the whipped cream mixture into the chocolate/cream cheese.
- 12) Finally, pipe the mousse filling into the baked, cooled shell. Serve the tart garnished with toasted pistachios or almonds.
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings.