- Hands-on time:
- 20 mins. to 25 mins.
- Baking time:
- Total time:
- 30 mins. to 35 mins.
- 12 servings
If you love shortcakes but looking to add a little flair, this is the recipe for you. A soft, flaky biscuit layered with smooth cheesecake filling and fruit makes for a cool summer dessert.
- 12 biscuits from your favorite recipe , baked and cooled
- 1) Place the soft cream cheese in the bowl of your mixer and smear it with the back of a spatula to ensure all the lumps are gone.
- 2) Add the cream, vanilla, confectioners' sugar, Instant ClearJel and salt. On low speed begin to blend the ingredients. At first they won't want to come together, so keep scraping the bowl frequently until the mixture becomes smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3) Increase the speed to high and beat the filling for another minute, until smooth, light, and creamy. It will be thicker than traditional whipped cream, and similar to cake batter. Taste and adjust the sugar/vanilla/salt to your liking.
- 4) Place the filling in the fridge to chill until ready to use, at least 2 hours or up to overnight. Just before serving, split open the biscuits, spoon berries and cheesecake filling on the bottom half, top with remaining biscuit halves, and spoon on remaining berries and filling.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Tips from our bakers
- Love that lemon tang in cheesecake? Add 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon rind (zest) along with your vanilla.
- Need to make these ahead of time? Make and freeze the biscuits up to four weeks in advance. The cheesecake filling can be made up to 24 hours ahead as well, and kept refrigerated (not frozen). Assemble just before serving.