Ah, Christmas! Cookie exchanges and holiday luncheons, gift shopping and party hopping, trimming the tree, putting up lights — it's no wonder you find yourself running short on both time and energy.
Here's rule #1: Take the time to enjoy it. At the end of the day, Christmas is all about love, and family, and glowing lights brightening the darkest month of the year. And baking — boy, is Christmas ever about baking!
Whether you're putting together 22 beribboned cookie gift plates for your nearest and dearest, or making your mom's treasured fruitcake recipe (yes, fruitcake!), you'll need to be on top of your game throughout this special season. So hang the wreath, and jingle those bells — Christmas baking season's here!
On the first day of Christmas...
Holiday baking preparations can start as early as 6 to 8 weeks or more before Christmas Day. Recipes can be chosen, supplies checked, and even some of the actual food — for instance, cookie dough and pie — can be made ahead and frozen. Here are some tips for getting a head start on the holidays.
- Make a baking timeline; post it on your fridge.
- Select your recipes; buy or order any specialty ingredients. We've got you covered.
- Make a gift list — who's getting what?
- For best selection, shop early for gift packaging and delivery supplies.
- Bake your fruitcake; brush it with syrup every few weeks.
- Clean out your freezer to make room for freeze-and-bake treats.
- Check the freshness of your baking supplies (yeast and baking powder especially).
Once the Christmas countdown begins, there's no room for error. Those cookies and cakes, breads and candy simply have to turn out perfectly first time out — no do-overs. Experiencing a baking "challenge"? Contact our Baker's Hotline: we can help, right on up to December 24.
While we're a wealth of holiday baking knowledge, we're here for you year-round. Our seasoned staff of bakers knows bread and pizza, cookies and cake, scones and biscuits and muffins. If you can't figure out why your cupcakes crumble or your sourdough isn't sour enough, we can help. We're available via phone, email, or live chat 7 days a week.
Let's stay in touch!
Sign up to receive seasonal recipes, baking tips, special offers, and more from King Arthur Flour.