Wow, how easy is this? It's a piece of cake—especially when you start with our cake and frosting mixes.
Start with a cake approximately 13"x18". You can bake a cake in a 9"x13" pan and carefully cut it in half to make two 9"x13" pieces, which you can then place side by side. Or you can bake your cake in a 13"x18" half-sheet pan, as follows:
To Make the Cake
- Lightly grease the bottom and edges of the pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment (for easiest removal) and grease the parchment.
- Prepare one batch of the King Arthur Flour cake mix of your choice according to package instructions. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it into an even layer.
- Bake the cake for 35 to 40 minutes, until it's light golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan.
- Spread the cooled cake with an even layer of your favorite buttercream frosting; you'll need at least the same amount of frosting you would for a double-layered 8" or 9" cake or 24 cupcakes. Our Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Mix works well here or make our quick buttercream frosting recipe.
- Wash and dry 1 pound of strawberries, then hull and halve them. Place them end to end in three stripes along the bottom half of the cake, and in three stripes along the right 2/3 of the top half, leaving room for the stars.
- Wash and dry a half pint of blueberries, and arrange them in the upper left hand corner of the cake (the stars).