Turn plain sugar cookies into these striking jam-filled spirals, perfect for special occasions.
- 1 box King Arthur Gluten-Free Sugar Cookie Mix
- 10 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup smooth jam
- Beat the cookie mix, butter, egg, and vanilla until well combined.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a 1"-thick disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until cool and reasonably firm to the touch.
- Working with one piece at a time, flour both sides of the dough with gluten-free flour or cornstarch. Roll into a 10" x 12" rectangle about 1/8" thick, dusting underneath with flour if the dough starts to stick.
- Spread the dough with a thin layer of jam (1/4 cup), leaving 1" clean along one long edge of the rectangle.
- Brush the clean edge with water to moisten it slightly. Starting with the jam-covered long edge, gently roll the dough into a log.
- Gently pinch the seam of the log to ensure it stays closed.
- Repeat the process with the second piece of dough.
- Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and freeze overnight, or for up to 2 weeks.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
- Slice the frozen dough into 1/4"-thick cookies, placing them 2" apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 15 to 17 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Yield: about 4 dozen cookies.