Although often a summer treat, cobbler can easily be made year-round thanks to the availability of frozen fruit. This raspberry-peach version comes together quickly and easily, utilizing our Lemon Raspberry Muffin Mix for a topping that's halfway between biscuit and cake.
- 2 pounds frozen sliced peaches, partially thawed (about 5 to 6 cups)
- 24 ounces frozen raspberries, partially thawed (about 6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons Instant ClearJel or 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 box Lemon Raspberry Muffin Mix
- sparkling white sugar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly butter or grease a 9" x 13" pan.
- To prepare the fruit: Combine the peaches and raspberries in a large bowl. Add the melted butter and lemon juice, tossing to coat the fruit.
- Whisk together the sugar and ClearJel or flour, then sprinkle over the fruit. Toss gently with a spatula until the fruit is coated, then spread the mixture into the prepared pan.
- To prepare the topping: Whisk together the melted butter, milk, and muffin mix, stirring just until combined; the mixture doesn't have to be totally smooth.
- Dollop the soft dough over the fruit in 1 1/2" blobs, leaving about 1/2" between them. Use any leftover dough to fill the in-between spaces. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired.
- Bake the cobbler for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375°F, and bake for an additional 25 minutes, until the topping is a deep golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, and serve warm. Store, covered, in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Yield: about 12 servings