When the holidays are just around the corner, you may find that rolling, cutting, and decorating cookies uses more time than you have in the midst of all your other baking. Spritz cookies are a fun alternative to rolled-out sugar cookies. They can go from mixer to oven without chilling the dough, and need no further decorating other than maybe a sprinkle of sparkling sugar, or a thin coat of festively-colored glaze.
- Freeze two baking sheets for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare cookie dough according to the package instructions, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons water to make the dough slightly sticky to the touch; this helps the cookies adhere to the baking sheets.
- Follow the directions that come with your spritz cookie press to pipe cookies onto the frozen, ungreased, unlined baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 minutes, until the edges are just beginning to turn golden.
- Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool.
- Clean and refreeze your baking sheets as often as necessary to use up the cookie dough.