King Arthur Flour has been working with B Lab since 2007 to evaluate our social and environmental performance.
|Summary||FY17 KAF Score||% Points Earned*||Median Score**||Change vs. FY16|
|Overall B Score||117||59%||52||0|
- *% of total points earned by impact area
- ** of all business that have completed the B Impact Assessment
We can always do better! In fiscal year 2018, we aim to achieve the following goals:
- Cultivate high-performance ownership culture
- Build a stronger community by strengthening volunteerism—6,000 volunteer hours
- Establish supplier code of conduct and agricultural sourcing requirements for top 10 ingredients
- Grow organic flour business by 15%
At King Arthur Flour, we believe in the power of baking to make a difference — for our employee owners, communities and planet. As a Benefit Corporation, our directors and officers upheld and acted in accordance with Vermont standards. We use the B Lab Impact Assessment to measure our public benefit. We maintained our score of 117, which is well above the median of 55, and, as always, we aim to do better. In 2018, we are committed to bringing greater transparency and rigor to our sourcing, as we continue to focus on agricultural practices in the coming year - Alison May, Benefit Corporation Director
To inspire and share the joy of baking, bringing people together and building stronger communities.
Values + Beliefs
We believe in quality. Great baking starts with great ingredients and know-how. From us, the employee owners, to our relationships with others, to our flours, our recipes and all our products, we seek the highest standards in everything we are, and in everything we do.
We believe baking helps build strong and vibrant connections. Whether you're baking with someone, for someone, or both, King Arthur Flour is there to teach, inspire and provide resources to nurture community — building connections and relationships. We strive to serve, educate, and inspire those around us.
We believe in baking. We love what we do; we connect through the age-old tradition of baking. Our success is fueled by our genuine passion and excitement for what we do, the depth of our knowledge, and the quality of the products and services we offer. We strive to be the baker's trusted resource.
We believe we're all bakers. We see ourselves in every one of our customers—pros, experts, novices, first-timers. It doesn't matter if you're making pancakes for your kids or baguettes for a bakery.
We believe in doing the right thing for all stakeholders. As a Benefit Corporation, we measure progress with a triple bottom line — people, planet, and profit. We carry on our centuries-old heritage of stewardship through the quality of our brand, and the steps we take to preserve the vitality of our community and the earth on which we live.
We believe in farmers. We partner with farmers and other suppliers to encourage environmentally and socially responsible practices.
King Arthur Flour is 100% employee-owned which means each person working here has a real stake in the company's success.
- 100% Employee-Owned
- 357 Employee Owners
- B Lab: Best for the World Worker Honoree
- 2016 National ESOP of the Year
We believe in paying a fair and competitive wage and sharing the company's success with each person. Profit sharing is paid out to all eligible employees when the company achieves its financial targets.
We are committed to fostering a culture of wellness and healthy lifestyles throughout the organization.
- $500 available in wellness incentives per employee
- All year-round employees offered tiered subsidy in local farm's CSA program
Culture & Engagement
We believe our culture is paramount to all that we do and recognize that it needs to be nurtured to bring out the best in everyone.
- Established company-wide culture goals and annual employee survey to assess progress.
Whether it's in our own backyard (the Upper Valley Haven, Hunger Free Vermont, Vermont Foodbank, Willing Hands) or across the country (Feeding America, 1% For The Planet), we're dedicated to increasing connection and access to real foods.
This year, King Arthur Flour donated more than one million meals to people facing hunger across the United States through our Essential Goodness Buy a Mix, Give a Meal program and committed to donating an additional 2 million meals by June 30, 2018. Learn more at Bake For Good page.
All part-time and full-time employees receive 40 hours of paid volunteer time per year.
84% of employees volunteering in the community.
Bake For Good: Kids
Students (grades 4-7) who participate:
- LEARN the science, math, and other skills associated with baking
- BAKE two loaves of whole wheat bread at home using materials and know-how provided by KAF
- SHARE one loaf with a local hunger-relief organization
This national program, which is completely free for schools, has been going strong for more than two decades and visits about 200 schools per year, reaching close to 40,000 students.
Camelot, our flagship location in Norwich, VT, has many events that bring our giving mission to life.
- Free baking classes offered throughout the year to benefit a local shelter/food pantry
- Taste and Toast event benefitting the Upper Valley Farm to School Network
- Pizza on the Patio summer series donating 10% of event sales to featured nonprofits
- Annual MELT: Grilled Cheese Challenge benefiting a heating assistance organization
Inputs & Outputs
- Measured scope 1 & 2 GHG emissions
- Solar production at Camelot equaled to removing 3 tons of GHG from the atmosphere
- Ongoing engery conservation/efficiency measures at all locations
- 80% of catalogue pages are 100% recycled paper and 100% are FSC certified
- 100% flour bags biodegradable
- 100% boxes made with 100% recycled board (minimum 35% post-consumer content)
The Green Team continued efforts to reduce waste and energy use on KAF campus launching the following programs:
- Employee Green Commute Challenge in honor of Earth Day
- Terracycle energy bar wrapper/pouch recycling program
- Pay It Forward program to incentivize use of reusable mugs at our cafés
Ongoing reimbursement program to incent green commuting
- Total miles saved: 35,554
- Total one way trips saved: 3,280
- Total $ paid in our incentives: $6,995
85% of Significant Suppliers completed a survey asking about social and environmental practices in a two-year period. Our goal was 100%. We will continue to work toward achieving greater transparency in FY18.
Carey Underwood - email@example.com