French-style crêpes make an elegant breakfast or snack. Enjoy them as Parisians do, with bananas and hazelnut spread; or simply spread with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Savory breakfast crêpes are delicious as well!
- 1 box pancake mix
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) melted butter or vegetable oil
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- Using a blender/stick blender or food processor, blend or process the pancake mix, butter or oil, milk, and eggs for about 15 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and blend for another 10 to 15 seconds.
- Let the batter rest for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator; overnight is fine.
- The best pan in which to cook crêpes is a 10" cast iron pan or crêpe pan. Heat the pan over medium heat. Wipe the bottom of the pan with a bit of butter or oil (a paper towel works well).
- Pour 1/4 to a scant 1/3 cup batter into the bottom of the pan, pick it up, and swirl it so the batter covers the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until the bottom of the crêpe begins to brown and you can slide a spatula under it. Gently flip it over in the pan.
- Cook briefly on the other side, and place on a warm plate. Cover until the remaining batter is cooked.
- Fill crêpes with fruit and whipped cream, sweetened cream cheese and berries, or anything else from bananas and chocolate or caramel to ice cream and maple syrup.
Yield: 30 to 36 crêpes