Dress your breakfast up for the holidays! The classic spice profile of gingerbread cake-cinnamon, ginger, and allspice—is nicely suited for tender, buttery scones.
- Essential Goodness Gingerbread Cake + Cookie Mix
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 8 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 400°F with a rack in the top third. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
- Combine the mix and flour, and then add the cubed butter. Using your fingertips, or a pastry blender, work the butter and mix together to form uniform crumbs, with only a few pea-sized chunks of butter remaining.
- Using a fork, stir together the egg and milk, and then stir them to the crumbly mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, using about 1/4 cup for each scone. A muffin scoop is great here.
- Bake the scones for 16 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Remove the scones from the oven, and cool them on the pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Yield: 10 scones