- Line two baking sheets with parchment, or grease them lightly.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the sugar, almond flour, chocolate chips, and spices until fine. Add the egg whites and process until a stiff dough forms.
- Sprinkle a flat surface with additional sugar and roll the dough 1/4" thick. Cut out shapes with 2" cutters and transfer to the prepared baking sheets.
- Let the cookies sit at room temperature for 1 hour before baking; this ensures a crispier top. Toward the end of the drying time, preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, until the tops look puffy and you can smell the chocolate. Remove them from the oven and cool completely on the baking sheets. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving, if desired; or drizzle with chocolate glaze.
- To make the glaze: Melt the chocolate and butter (or coconut oil) in the microwave at medium power, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over the tops of the cookies, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 weeks.