- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Beat together the butter, salt, baking soda, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Beat in the eggs, then the flour.
- Add the oats, nuts, and butterscotch chips, and mix well.
- Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cookies are a very light golden brown around the edges.
- Remove them from the oven, and cool on a rack.
- Yield: about 4 1/2 dozen cookies.
Tips from our Bakers
- The texture of these cookies changes completely if you substitute old-fashioned (or thick oats) for quick-cooking oats. Cookies made with old-fashioned oats will spread much more, sometimes to the point of becoming lace cookies; we prefer using quick-cooking oats in this recipe.