- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9" pie pan.
- To make the crust: Combine the ingredients, and press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Freeze the crust for 15 minutes (this will prevent over-browning), then bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until it's lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- To make the filling: Combine the hot water, cocoa, and vanilla in a small measuring cup and set aside.
- Heat the chocolate in a saucepan set over low heat on the stove, or in the microwave in 20-second bursts. Stir the chocolate until completely melted, and let cool for several minutes.
- Whip the cream, sugar, and salt with a hand or stand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Stir the cocoa mixture into the melted chocolate.
- Using a whisk, fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream until no white streaks remain.
- Spread the filling evenly into the cooled crust.
- Refrigerate the pie for at least 1 hour before serving, or until the filling is firm.
- For the topping, whip the cream and sugar together until the mixture is as firm (or soft) as you like.
- Slice the pie, and top each serving with a dollop of whipped cream and a chocolate curl, if desired.
Tips from our Bakers
- To make this crust gluten-free, use our gluten-free graham cracker crumbs, following the instructions on the packaging; add 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, if desired.