- To make the dough: In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together, then add the orange zest, corn syrup, and water, mixing to combine. Scrape the bowl and add the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Press the dough into a 1/2"-thick layer on a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Wrap well and chill for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- To cut and bake: Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment, or lightly grease.
- Working with a third of the dough at a time, roll it 1/8" thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into shapes using your favorite small cutters. Transfer to the prepared baking sheets and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cookies are set but not overly browned. Larger shapes may need another minute or two to bake.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the pans for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Combine all of the ingredients to make a smooth frosting stiff enough to pipe. Using a pastry bag and small tip, decorate the cookies with the frosting.
- Store cookies cool and dry in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks.
Tips from our Bakers
- The yield and nutritional information for this recipe are written for a 1” cutter, but of course these cookies can be cut and baked in any size you like. When making larger cookies like the ones shown here, the baking time will be slightly longer and the yield will be lower.