- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, and nutmeg.
- Cut the butter into small cubes or thin pats, and using a pastry blender or your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is unevenly crumbly.
- Combine the milk, egg, and vanilla, and add all at once to the dry mixture. Stir to make a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 7 equal portions; a muffin scoop is handy for this. Place them on an ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet. Allow the pan of shortcakes to rest for 5 minutes before baking.
- Bake the shortcakes for 14 to 16 minutes, until they're set and very lightly browned. Remove them from the oven and cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool fully.
- Split shortcakes and fill with your favorite berries and lemon curd (if desired), then top with whipped cream.