- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar, and butter.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and partway up the sides of a 9" springform pan, 9" cheesecake pan, or 9" deep-dish pie pan.
- If you're using a 9" by 1 1/2" pan, you'll have 1/4 to 1/2 cup of extra crumb mixture. This can become a garnish for the pie, if you like.
- To blind-bake the crust, place it in a preheated 375°F oven for 15 minutes, just until set and you smell the cookies toasting. Remove the crust from the oven, cool on a rack, and finish with the filling of your choice.
- To make a chocolate cookie crust, replace the graham crackers with 2 cups of chocolate cookie crumbs.
- To make a vanilla wafer crust, replace the graham crackers with an equal amount of vanilla wafer cookie crumbs.
- To make a gingersnap crust, replace the graham crackers with 2 cups of crushed gingersnaps.
Tips from our Bakers
- About 11 whole graham crackers will yield 1 3/4 cups. Forty chocolate wafer cookies (9 ounces) will yield 2 cups; 71 vanilla wafer crackers (8 3/4 ounces) will crunch down to 2 cups of crumbs; and 43 gingersnaps (10 3/4 ounces) will crush down to 2 cups of crumbs.