- Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients except the fruit and crystallized ginger — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — until you've made a soft, fairly smooth dough. Pumpkin varies in water content, so add extra water or flour if needed. Right at the end, knead in the fruit and crystallized ginger.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise for 1 1/2 hours, until it's almost double in bulk.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased surface, gently deflate it, and divide it into 16 pieces, roughly 2 3/4 ounces each.
- Roll each piece into a ball. Place rolls in the lightly greased cups of a couple of standard muffin pans (which will help them maintain their round shape); or onto a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Set aside, covered lightly, to rise for 1 hour, or until the rolls look puffy.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the rolls for 25 to 30 minutes, until they're lightly browned and the center of one reads 190°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove the pans from the oven and turn the rolls out onto a rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips from our Bakers
- Looking to get ahead for the holiday mornings? Find all the tips you need here at freeze and bake rolls.