- Lightly butter the bottom and sides of a 2-quart baking dish, 9" x 13" pan, or equivalent.
- Toss the bread cubes with 1 cup of the chopped semisweet chocolate, and place in the prepared pan.
- Combine the remaining chopped chocolate with the sugar, cocoa, and 1 1/2 cups of the milk or half & half in a saucepan set over low heat.
- Cook, stirring, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl, and whisk in the remaining milk or half & half. Whisk in the eggs, salt, and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and let rest for 30 minutes or so at room temperature, until the chocolate custard has been absorbed by the bread.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Bake the pudding for 45 to 50 minutes, until it's set. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes to allow the custard to fully set before serving.
- Serve warm with whipped cream, ice cream, or dusted with confectioners' sugar.
- Store, refrigerated, for up to 5 days.
Tips from our Bakers
- A 1-pound loaf of bread or brioche should yield about 6 1/2 cups bread cubes. Otherwise use 10 to 12 slices of bread, cut into 1/2" cubes.