- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" square pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugars, salt, flour, espresso powder, nuts, and chips.
- Add the oil, water or coffee, and eggs, mixing until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake the brownies for 33 to 35 minutes for the 9" pan, or 40 to 45 minutes for the 8" pan (a pan with a dark interior will bake the brownies more quickly). Test for doneness by inserting a sharp knife in the center. Wriggle it around just enough to see what's going on. Is the batter under the crust still shiny, wet, and smooth? Continue to bake the brownies, checking frequently. Is it ultra-moist, but not shiny, and crumby looking? Take them out, they're done.
- Remove the brownies from the oven, and cool on a rack for 1 hour before cutting. Store on the counter, covered, for 5 days; or wrap well and freeze for up to 3 months.
Tips from our Bakers
- If you're not a big fan of coffee with your chocolate, cut the espresso powder in the recipe to 2 teaspoons, and use water instead of brewed coffee.