- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, confectioners’ sugar, and corn syrup until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggnog flavor (or rum extract), nutmeg, baking powder or baker's ammonia, and salt.
- Add the egg and water to the butter mixture and mix to combine. Add the flour and beat at medium-low speed until smooth. Scrape the bowl and beat for 30 seconds more.
- Divide the dough in thirds, pat into 3/4”-thick slabs, then wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and place on the counter while you line two baking sheets with parchment. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roll the dough 1/8” thick on a lightly floured work surface. Cut into desired shapes and transfer to the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned on the edges. Remove from the oven, set the pan on a rack, and cool the cookies right on the pan.
- Store cooled cookies, well-wrapped, at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.
Tips from our Bakers
- If desired, whisk 1 egg white with 1 tablespoon water, paint the cookies with this egg wash, and sprinkle with colored sugar before baking.