- Pulse some gluten-free bread (approximately 1/2 loaf, depending on loaf size) in your food processor and set 3 1/2 cups of the crumbs aside for the topping.
- To make the filling: Peel, core, and slice about 6 apples; the variety is your choice.
- Combine the boiled cider and orange juice, and toss with the apples.
- Combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, granulated sugar, and a pinch of salt. To thicken the filling, add 1 tablespoon gluten-free tapioca starch. Toss the apples with the sugar/spice mixture to coat, and spread in an 8" square pan.
- To make the topping: Mix 3 cups of the bread crumbs, the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Pour the melted butter over the mixture and stir, allowing the bread crumbs to absorb the butter.
- Press the topping evenly over the apples and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the apple filling is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, and serve warm; ice cream or whipped cream are a tasty topping.
- Yield: about 8 servings.