- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and xanthan gum.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and molasses, scraping the bowl between and after additions.
- Add the dry mixture and mix until just combined. Cover and refrigerate dough for an hour at least, or overnight for optimum results.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment.
- Scoop tablespoon-sized amounts of dough and roll in sparkling or granulated sugar if desired.
- Bake for 8 to 11 minutes, or until just set.
- Yield: 20 to 24 cookies.