- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a standard muffin pan; or line with papers, and grease the papers.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, currants or raisins, and caraway seeds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt or sour cream, and melted butter or oil.
- Stir together the dry and wet ingredients. As soon as everything is evenly moistened, stop stirring; this batter doesn't need beating.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan; a muffin scoop works well here. The stiff batter will be mounded in the cups. Top with sparkling white sugar, if desired.
- Bake the muffins for 18 to 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Remove them from the oven. Tip the muffins in the pan, so their bottoms don't get soggy. Wait 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a rack to cool. Serve them plain, or with butter and/or jam.
- Yield: 12 muffins.
Tips from our Bakers
- If you choose Greek-style rather than regular yogurt, thin it with a couple of tablespoons of milk before using.