- Combine all of the dough ingredients and mix, then knead — by hand, mixer or bread machine — to form a smooth, soft dough, adding additional water or flour as necessary, about 8 minutes.
- Allow the dough to rise, covered, until almost doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a greased surface, gently deflate it, and shape it into an 8 1/2" log.
- Place the log in a lightly greased 9" x 5" pan, cover the pan, and allow the loaf to rise for 45 minutes, until it's just crowned over the top of the pan.
- To make the topping: Whisk egg white with water.
- Brush the top of the loaf with lightly beaten egg white, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until it's golden brown and its internal temperature registers 190°F or above on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove it from the oven, cool it in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out of the pan and cool completely for easiest slicing.
- Store, wrapped, at room temperature for 4 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Tips from our Bakers
- Use all King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, if you choose, increasing the water to about 1 1/4 cups.