- For the coating: Whisk the sugars together in a small bowl. Sprinkle half the mixture liberally over the bottom of a parchment-lined, 8˝ square pan.
- For the marshmallows: Place the water in the large bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Let the gelatin soak until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir if there are any dry spots.
- In a medium saucepan, mix the maple syrup, maple flavor (if using), and salt. Put over medium heat and cook until the mixture reaches soft-ball stage (235°F to 240°F).
- Pour the syrup into the bowl with the gelatin and beat with the whisk attachment for 12 to 15 minutes, until the mixture holds a stiff peak when you pull up the whisk.
- Immediately spread the mixture into the prepared pan, using a wet offset spatula to smooth the top. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the remaining coating mixture over the top.
- When the marshmallow has cooled and set, cut into squares and dredge the edges of each square in the remaining sugar mixture to coat.
- Store marshmallows in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 10 days.
- Yield: 2 dozen 1 1/2" marshmallows