- To make the filling: Mix the sugar, Instant ClearJel (or cornstarch), and salt together in a saucepan.
- Add the eggs and whisk well, then whisk in the juice.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat until it's very hot; it may come to a boil, or it may just "seethe" a bit, like it's trying to boil and not quite making it. Let it boil or seethe for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the butter, stirring until it melts, then pour the mixture into the baked pie shell.
- Rub a piece of butter over the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill for several hours before topping with the meringue.
- To make the meringue: Preheat your oven to 375°F with the oven rack in the lowest position.
- Whisk the meringue powder and water together, then beat until foamy.
- Add the salt, sugar and vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed until the meringue is thick and shiny.
- Beat in the marshmallow.
- To finish the pie: Remove the pie from the refrigerator.
- Top it with the meringue, using a spatula to form peaks.
- Bake the pie for 18 to 22 minutes, or until the meringue has browned.
- Remove it from the oven, cool it, and refrigerate until serving.
- Store the pie, loosely covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Tips from our Bakers
- Need some more tips to make your pies perfect? Check out our Pie Baking Guide.
- Lime juice is entirely optional but makes an exceptionally tart and tasty filling.
- Use a deep-dish pie pan, if you have one; and make a tall, stand-up crimp, rather than simply flattening the edges of the crust with a fork. This will help support the meringue.