- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients until evenly incorporated.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the butter or vegetable oil, milk, eggs, and maple syrup until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and whisk just until evenly moistened.
- Allow the batter to rest for 10 to 15 minutes, to let the grains absorb some of the liquid.
- Preheat a lightly greased griddle to 325°F; or set a lightly greased frying pan over medium heat.
- Drop 1/4-cupfuls of batter onto the griddle; our scone and muffin scoop works well for this.
- Bake the pancakes on one side until bubbles begin to form and break, about 2 minutes; then turn the pancakes and cook the other side until brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or hold in a warm oven.
- Yield: fifteen 4 1/2" to 5" pancakes.