- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets, or line with parchment.
- To make the macaroons: In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients (not including the chocolate for the coating) until thoroughly incorporated.
- Scoop the dough by 1/8-cupfuls (2 tablespoons) onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving an inch of space between them; a jumbo cookie scoop works well here. Leave the macaroons as rounds, or use your hands or the flat side of a bench knife or dough scraper to shape the balls into pyramids.
- Bake the macaroons for 16 to 18 minutes, until they're a light golden brown on top.
- Remove the macaroons from the oven and allow them to cool on the pan.
- To make the optional coating: Melt (or temper if desired) the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave in short, 10-second increments, stirring until smooth.
- Dip the bottoms of the cooled macaroons into the chocolate, then transfer them to a cooling rack or back to the baking sheet. Let rest until the chocolate sets.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.