- To make the cookies: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease two baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- Beat together the butter, oil, sugar, molasses, cake enhancer, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, then beat in the eggs one at a time, until fluffy.
- Stir in the pumpkin.
- Add the flour in two additions, mixing well after each addition.
- Use a muffin scoop to deposit the thick batter onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2" around each mound.
- Bake until the cookies feel firm; a slight indentation will remain when you gently press them in the middle, about 16 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then move to a rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling: Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in the sugar in two additions.
- Add the vanilla and xanthan gum. Beat for 2 to 3 minutes, until very fluffy.
- Stir in the crystallized ginger.
- To assemble: Sandwich two cookies around 2 tablespoons of filling. For best storage, wrap each pie in plastic wrap.
- Yield: 1 dozen 4" whoopie pies.
Tips from our Bakers
- Want to make smaller (2 1/2") pies? Use a heaped tablespoon cookie scoop to drop the batter onto the pan in balls slightly smaller than a ping-pong ball. Bake the cakes for about 14 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven, until set. Finish and fill as directed at right. Yield: 30 mini-pies.