- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour (or line with parchment circles, then grease) two 9" round cake pans.
- For the cake: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the eggs, 1/2 cup of the water, oil, and extracts. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Heat the remaining water for 1 minute at high power in the microwave (it should be hot but not boiling) and stir into the cake batter.
- Divide the thin batter evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake the cakes for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of a layer comes out clean, and the edges just barely begin to pull away from the sides of the pans.
- Remove from the oven and place the layers on a rack to cool for 10 minutes, then turn the layers out of the pans and return to the rack to finish cooling completely.
- For the filling: Warm 1 cup of the cream and stir in the malted milk powder. Pour into a mixing bowl, add the rest of the cream, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Remove from the refrigerator and beat the cream at medium speed just until it thickens and you begin to see tracks in the bowl. Stir together the sugar and ClearJel and sprinkle in with the mixer running. The cream will noticeably thicken.
- When the cream is stiff enough to hold up the whisk, stop beating and fold in the grated chocolate and chocolate extract (if using).
- To make the glaze: In a small bowl over simmering water, stir together all the ingredients (except the malted milk balls) until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool to lukewarm while you assemble the cake.
- To assemble: Trim the cake layers to make them flat. Place one layer, cut side down, on a serving platter.
- Spread with the filling and top with the second cake layer, cut side down.
- Drizzle the lukewarm glaze on top, then sprinkle with crushed malted milk balls.
- Store the leftover cake, covered, in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Tips from our Bakers
- Instant ClearJel stabilizes the whipped cream. If you don't have any on hand, dissolve a packet of unsweetened gelatin in 2 tablespoons of cool water. Heat at half power in your microwave to melt it for 20 seconds; then pour into the whipped cream halfway through whipping it. Chill the cream for 30 minutes before using it to fill the cake.