King Arthur Flour Company, Inc. voluntarily recalls Organic Coconut Flour (16 oz.) because of possible health risk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — March 23, 2018-Norwich, VT — King Arthur Flour Company is voluntarily recalling a limited quantity (6,300 cases) of Organic Coconut Flour (16 oz.), after testing revealed the presence of Salmonella in 1 pouch of Organic Coconut Flour (16 oz.).
Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and produce more severe illnesses.
The recalled Organic Coconut Flour (16 oz.) was distributed through retailers and distributors nationwide.
The only product affected by the recall is Organic Coconut Flour (16 oz.) with Best If Used By Dates of 10/25/2018, LOT: CF22017E and 12/04/2018, LOT: CF22017E which can be found on the back of the pouch, near the bottom of the panel. UPC: 0 71012 10702 5
Consumers who have any of these affected products should not consume them and should throw them away or return them to the place of purchase for credit or refund.
Other Best If Used By Dates and LOTS are not affected by this recall. There have been no reports of any injuries or illnesses associated with this recall. King Arthur Flour issued a voluntary recall for Organic Coconut Flour (16 oz.) after testing revealed the presence of Salmonella in 1 pouch of Organic Coconut Flour (16 oz.). King Arthur Flour has commenced an investigation as to the source of the problem in the Supply Chain.
Customers have trusted King Arthur Flour products in their kitchens for over 225 years, and that's why we have issued this voluntary recall. We remain committed to providing our customers safe and superior products.
This information can be found online at kingarthurflour.com/voluntaryrecall. Customers with any questions regarding this recall or King Arthur Flour products are encouraged to call the King Arthur Flour Consumer Hotline at 866-797-9178.
King Arthur Flour Consumer Hotline, Monday - Friday, 9 am to 5 pm
Questions and Answers
- 1. Which products are affected?
- The only product affected by the voluntary recall is Organic Coconut Flour (16 oz.) from one specific LOT code: CF22017E, with Best If Used By Dates of 10/25/2018 and 12/04/2018, which can be found on the back of the pouch, near the bottom of the panel.
- 2. Is this recall part of the outbreak update announced by the FDA on 3/21/2018?
- The recalls referenced by the FDA in their outbreak update and our own voluntary recall of Organic Coconut Flour are not the same.
- 3. Where were the affected bags of coconut flour sold?
- Bags of coconut flour with a lot code matching the affected product were sold nationally via retailers and distributors. No products sold through our website, Baker's Catalogue, or the Baker's Store in Norwich, VT are included in this voluntary recall.
- 4. Do I need to worry about any of your other products containing coconut?
- This lot of affected coconut flour was not used in any other King Arthur Flour products.
- 5. I can't find or read the lot number on my bag of coconut flour. What should I do?
- The lot number can be found on the back of the pouch, near the bottom of the panel; see photos above. If you can't locate the lot number or are uncertain of what's printed, we encourage you to return the product to the store you purchased it from for a full refund or simply dispose of it. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please call our friendly Consumer Hotline at 866-797-9178.
- 6. I have concerns after using coconut flour with the listed lot code. What do I do?
- Whenever customers have concerns related to their health we recommend seeking prompt guidance from a medical professional. If you have concerns after using a bag of coconut flour with the listed lot number, please call our Consumer Hotline at 866-797-9178.
- 7. How do I get my recalled bag of coconut flour reimbursed?
- We're committed to offering our customers a meaningful solution for unusable bags of coconut flour. If you have a bag of coconut flour with the affected lot code, please return it to the store you purchased it from for a full refund. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please call our friendly Consumer Hotline at 866-797-9178.
- 8. Where can I learn more about salmonella?
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offer educational information regarding salmonella.