Pizzelle with pizzazz

I could never figure out why my in-laws wouldn’t try my pizzelle.

I mean, these traditional Italian cookies looked JUST like the ones from Boston’s North End, the sentimental “hometown” of every eastern Massachusetts Italian-American. Super-crisp, buttery, golden rounds, they’re a mainstay at every Italian holiday table, from Thanksgiving (turkey and spaghetti and pizzelle) to Christmas (roast beef and ravioli and pizzelle), to Easter (ham and lasagna and pizzelle).

So why wouldn’t my mother-in-law at least sample mine?

For years, I’d haul out my pizzelle iron, dutiful daughter-in-law that I was trying to be, make the pizzelle, battle my urge to sample them in the car on the way from New Hampshire to Massachusetts, lay them on her sideboard with the rest of the desserts, and watch them go absolutely untouched. Except by me and my husband.

Finally, I asked my sister-in-law what was up with the pizzelle boycott.

“We don’t like pizzelle,” said Dawne.

Crisp sugar cookies—what’s not to like? I thought.

“Uh, what don’t you like about them?” Maybe I should have sprinkled them with confectioners’ sugar, like you see at Italian bakeries; was that the missing component?

“We don’t like that flavor.”

“Sugar? Vanilla?”

“No, you know, that anisette flavor. That licorice,” said Dawne, grimacing.

Ahhhh… light dawns on Marblehead! The most traditional pizzelle are indeed made with anise seed or anise extract; they taste like licorice.

But I eschewed that flavor long ago in favor of the milder vanilla version I now make. I’ll do a butter-rum pizzelle occasionally, and have experimented with lemon and hazelnut—all good. Still, vanilla remains a comforting favorite. And I was certain Dawne and Ma would feel the same—if I could get them to try one.

“Dawne, just try a bite. Really. These don’t taste like licorice.”

She looked at me skeptically. I’ve pulled this kind of trick on her before, asking her to be a guinea pig for one or another non-traditional version of a long-time favorite.

Bottom line? She tried; she liked; I conquered. And now, whatever the celebratory occasion, my pizzelle are eagerly awaited and just as eagerly devoured.

Pizzelle iron: $45.95.

Cost of ingredients: $2.56.

Approval from your in-laws—priceless.

Read our Classic Pizzelle recipe as you follow along with these pictures.

img_3418.JPG

Eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla—into the bowl they go.

img_3419.JPG

Mix till well combined.

img_3420.JPG

Add flour and baking powder, mixing till smooth. Then pour melted butter on top…

img_3421.JPG

…and stir till thoroughly combined.

img_3422.JPG

Lightly grease and heat your pizzelle iron. A krumkake iron works well here, too. This particular pizzelle iron makes four mini-pizzelle. Mine at home makes two standard-size pizzelle.

img_3433.JPG

Get your tools ready. I like to use a teaspoon cookie scoop (a tablespoon scoop, for standard-size). It makes nice, round balls, a head start towards making nice, round pizzelle. Dipping the scoop in water each time you scoop ensures the dough won’t stick.

img_3434.JPG

To make mini-pizzelle, you need a ball of dough about the size of a small shelled chestnut: a generous 2 teaspoons, to put it in more precise, measuring-spoon terms.

img_3432.JPG

Quickly drop the balls just a tiny bit back from the center of each circle on the iron. When you lower the cover, it pushes the dough balls forward just slightly, centering them within the circles.

img_3428.JPG

Close and latch the cover. You’ll probably see a bit of dough ooze out the side. That’s OK; just wipe it off.

img_3431.JPG

Raise the cover, and—whoops. This was one of my first attempts. I hadn’t yet nailed the correct baking time (2 minutes, 15 seconds for the mini-pizzelle iron; 45 seconds for my standard-size iron); nor the correct amount of dough (generous 2 teaspoons for the mini, a generous 4 teaspoons for the standard).

img_3435.JPG

Try again. Ah, that’s more like it! Don’t expect you’re going to make perfectly centered pizzelle with smooth edges right in the iron. What you want is approximately the right amount of dough, enough to completely fill the circle, but without so much that there’s lots of overflow. It takes some experimenting; as I said, perfection the first time out isn’t a realistic goal.

img_3436.JPG

Lift the pizzelle off the iron; I’m using a fork here. If they’ve spread into each other, they’ll come off all in one piece.

Lay them on the counter, and cut them apart.

img_3437.JPG

You’ll have pizzelle with ragged edges. NO PROBLEM.

img_3443.JPG

Use a pair of scissors to trim the edges.

img_3438.JPG

Like this. Feel free to enjoy the trimmings; baker’s treat!

img_3466.JPG

A nice presentation, suitable for any holiday sideboard.

img_3463.JPG

What a (licorice-free) treat, huh, Dawne?

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Classic Pizzelle.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: The Cookie Connection, Sharpsburg, PA: 1 dozen pizzelle, $6.00

Bake at home: 1 dozen pizzelle, $1.28

comments

1. Dawn of Dawn's Recipes

I’m still trying to convince myself a pizzelle maker is worth investing in. I have a small kitchen, so one-use appliances are hard to justify. You’ve pushed me a little closer to the edge though. I love them with the traditional anise flavor!

I also wanted to let you know that the last link where it says, “Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Classic Pizzelle,” is wrong. It links to the scoop instead of the recipe.

Whoops, TX, Dawn – will fix 2morrow! PJH

2. Elaine

Great post! I already have a krumkake iron ~ so, maybe tackle that one some day????

That’ll definitely work, Ellen – I should have suggested that, thanks – PJH

3. Michelle Morgan

WOW!!! THESE LOOK AWESOME! I’ve avoided buying the iron because of the typical taste of these treats. Needless to say, my husband and I are like your in-laws… In fact my husband pronounces anise, well um, (red cheeks), like Uranus – without the “Ur” at the beginning. Thanks for sharing this step-by-step recipe!
    -Michelle

4. Jennifer

Do you re-grease the iron after each batch? I always seem to have issues making pizzelles. The first batch will come out fine, the subsequent batch goes wrong and I have to unplug the thing, let it cool, and pick out the crunchy bits. Maybe my batter is too thin. Hmm.

Do you have a non-stick iron, Jennifer? I don’t have to re-grease. Maybe your recipe doesn’t have enough fat in it? PJH

5. Melody

Must admit that I’ve never made these from scratch, but a pizzelle and ice cream sandwich is really a divine thing. Especially if the ice cream is peach. Mmm….

Oh, Melody, how come I never thought of pizzelle ice cream sandwiches? YUM… PJH

We always make some of our pizelles into ice cream cups. While still hot, “sandwich” the pizelle between 2 pyrex dishes and press gently. They cool and hold their shape quickly. The pizelle bowls can be stacked and stored for a few days. Perfect for mini hot fudge sundaes! ~ MaryJane

6. Erin

I love pizzelles!!

I grew up on the anise flavored ones, which I didn’t particularly care for when I was a kid, but I LOVE them now and I can’t get enough of them.

I actually have an electric pizzelle iron and a stovetop one, which I recently bought and love.

7. Maria

I wish I had a pizzelle iron!! They are beautiful!!

Hey, Maria, invest in a pizzelle iron and forever after be the one who always brings those luscious pizzelle to every gathering… they’re my fallback position for potlucks. So fancy, yet easy. Iv’e had my iron for YEARS. :) PJH

8. Fearless Kitchen

I wonder if this will convince the Spouse to let me get a pizzelle iron? Personally I prefer the licorice variety, but I can see where a less strongly-flavored variety would be extremely useful (like the ice cream sandwiches a prior fan suggested).

9. Deanna

I bought my first Pizzelle Iron last year to make some for my Italian rellies for Christmas, I had always wanted one. I bought a Cuisinart that makes 2 at a time and it’s perfect. I never knew people cut them, with trial and error, I now know how full my dough scoop should be and where to place the ball. I’ve made the anise, vanilla and also chocolate. They make great gifts. I think I should get the iron out this weekend!

I agree, after MUCH practice, you can get the amount of batter pretty spot on for less overspill, more cookie. Good job and thanks for sharing!
    ~MaryJane

10. Tina

Pizzelle recipes are like spaghetti sauce recipes, there are as many as there are Italian families. I use one from my late mother-in-law. I have fiddled with many, many recipes over the years and always return to the one from her relatives. One thing to remember, the amount of egg is critical. In many recipes if you use an XL rather than a Large egg..no biggie. Pizzelle recipes are different, a little too much egg will produce a maddening result: rich but they are devils to remove intact from the iron. I made a batch last weekend. Yum

Thanks for sharing Tina. You are sooo right about ‘traditional’ recipes. Italian bread is another biggie we hear about here on the baker’s hotline.
    Enjoy your pizzelles. ~ MaryJane

11. C Burke

I use my pizzelle iron often and give tins or cellophane bags of pizelles as gifts. We love the anise flavored ones which I make with both seed and oil but many other people don’t seem to care for the flavor. So, I make vanilla with extract and vanilla bean paste, lemon and orange with oil and Fiori Di Sicilia which is delicious. I’ve tried making the recipe with ground nuts which tastes good but makes a heavy pizzelle. I sometimes use half butter and half canola oil in place of all butter. To get rid of the ragged edges easily, I found a can (water chestnut or tuna?), cut off the top and bottom, and use it as a “pizzelle” cutter on a cutting board immediately after taking the pizzelle from the iron while they are still warm.
    What an excellent idea! Gotta plan tuna for dinner soon, and save the can. ~ MaryJane

12. Tina again

WOW, the tuna can idea is terrific. I have always just “trimmed” them with my fingers as soon as they come off the iron but the tuna can idea is clearly the way to go. Ingenious.

13. Jen

Your pizzelles are beautiful. Have you been to Mike’s Pastry in the North End in Boston? That is one of my favorites for Italian desserts. Looking forward to going to Boston again soon – I need my cannolli fix!

I recently made pizzelles with my grandmother’s pizzelle iron. I like the anise flavored ones, but I actually made a recipe that just had vanilla extract in it.

I must say, I was comforted to see that others also have to find creative ways to cut off the uneven edges. I was somewhat dismayed that mine didn’t come out as perfect little circles on the first try.

Thanks for the recipe!

Absolutely, Jen – Mike’s, and Modern Pastry. Used to go into the North End Christmas Eve morning every year, to get all the fixings for the Italian Christmas Eve dinner. At Easter – lamb cakes in the window. Wish I lived closer – I’m 2+ hours away now… Think of me pressing my nose to the glass next time you’re there! AND – that’s what this blog is all about, as far as I’m concerned. Letting everyone know that baking is often “imperfect,” just like us humans. But it’s never a failure. Always a journey worth taking. I don’t think, in all the years I’ve made pizzelle, that I’ve ever once gotten a perfect one. But they’ve all tasted great! PJH

14. Paul

Tip … I have made thousands while used as child labor and using a stove-top single pizzelle iron. The tip is, always make them in the winter when the humidity is low so they cool and crisp instead of cool and sog.

Thanks, Paul – so true about the humidity, though an house with AC is usually fine, even in summer. PJH

15. bill

Ah, these are great. Now, if I could just figure out how to make them on my waffle iron, so that I didn’t have to buy another piece of kitchen equipment…

What if you made them REALLY thin, I wonder what would happen? I can’t quite picture it… PJH

16. Judy Johnson

I make vanilla pizzelles frequently, using a recipe I fiddled with. . Occasionally I’ll make chocolate. Family and friends love them. My machine makes 4 small ones. We’ve dipped the edges in egg white and sugar, chocolate and nuts, whatever is handy. We’ve also sandwiched them with frosting. It’s all good. Vanilla is the hands down favorite. I’m okay having a this one-use appliance, as it is used frequently. Enjoy! Judy

Ooooh, Judy – are you willing to share your chocolate pizzelle recipe? I’ve never found one I like… PJH

17. Laura

Wow I can’t wait to try this one! My in-laws got me hooked years ago, but the recipe makes so many at a time (dozen eggs!) I’ll try this one to see if they taste as good as they look!

18. ima

I’ve enjoyed eating my friends pizzelle every Christmas, but never wanted to invest in an actual iron for myself…until I found a brand new one at Goodwill! lol! After determining that it had never been used & all the pieces & instructions were there, I forked out the $14! This is my birthday gift to myself! Now that I have the King Arthur recipe, I’m ready to try making them myself! Thanks for all the input. I now feel confident to at least try making them for the first time!

Smart shopper! And great timing. Enjoy – I know you’ll like this recipe, it’s pretty foolproof. Be sure to use large eggs, that’s the only thing you really need to remember… PJH

19. Katharine Bloss

I have been making pizelles for 40 years. I have tried different flavors, but always come back to vanilla. In addition to family treats, they have been my cookie of choice for PTA meetings, bake sales, pot lucks, and Christmas gifts. They are ALWAYS a hit !!! Even though I have two full-size pizzelle irons, I would like to try this mini-iron for fun !!! And I will try this recipe the next time I get the iron out. Thanks, KAF.

Exactly, Katharine. They’re always a hit at potlucks, family gatherings, etc. An easy to make special treat. Thanks for connecting- PJH

20. Kimberly D

Could you use a sugar cookie recipe in the pizzelle iron? I do like you how you mention you can use vanilla instead of anise. For I do not care for anise either.

You could try, Kimberly, it would be a fun experiment. But I don’t think you’d get the crispness you’d get by using a really egg- and butter-rich pizzelle recipe. PJH

21. Rona

I have a waffle iron where the plates come out and it comes with plates for pizelles, (Also for sandwiches). No new piece of kitchen equipment!

COOL! PJH

22. Sharon

I make the mini-pizzelle size (with anise, which we adore in springerle), and make simple stacks for dessert by topping a cookie with a bit of strawberry jam (homemade freezer jam, so it tastes quite fresh), a dollop of whipped cream, and another cookie. I also sometimes drape them over a rolling pin when they come off the iron to create a good shape for filling. The iron is pricey, but such fun to use at the holidays.

I’ve been so unimaginative all these years! Use as a base for sandwich cookies, or to make tulipes (which I always figured had to be made with some florentine-like base) – YES! Thanks, Sharon – PJH

23. Tuty

I have a slightly different recipe (no baking powder), a couple of tablespoon cornstarch and I don’t use the mixer either (hand mix works fine for me) and I use krumkake iron. My favorite flavoring is coconut extract mixed with vanilla extract. I dipped half of the krumkake in melted chocolate, then let the chocolate harden. It’s a hit every time.

Wow, Tuty, that sounds SOOOOO good. I’m definitely trying that flavor combo. Plus the chocolate, of course! Thanks for sharing – PJH

24. Jenni

I am decidedly against the anise flavor myself. That’s the way my MIL used to make them, and I was not a fan. Now, vanilla or butter rum, I’d be all over them! They look lovely, and any food that I have to cut w/scissors turns into sort of a food/craft project, and that’s kind of fun, too :D Love your buy v. bake comparison, too!

25. Deborah

We have enjoyed these for years! The pizzelle iron is kept at my daughter’s house. I think I might have to buy another one to keep at my house..as I suddenly find myself in the mood! OH JUDY (Johnson), I do hope you share your chocolate recipe here! I would love to try it

26. Marie

My favorite way to make these is to do a vanilla flavored one and use Nutella to make Pizzelle Nutella sandwiches.
    I’ve known people that have rolled them with a cannoli form and filled them, but whenever I try to do that they break as I roll them.

MORE good ideas, Marie. Love the Nutella sandwich variation. I’d think you’d have to roll around a cannoli form RIGHT as you take out of the iron, while still very hot. If they cool at all, they’ll crack. Did yours break even though you tried to roll them right away? PJH

27. Denise in Kent, WA

Darn, those look good! Thanks for the detailed description of the process and pizzelles in general since they are not part of my tradition. Like Dawn, I am usually not a fan of single use appliances but your pizzelles are so tempting that I may have to make an exception. :)

28. Em

I broke down and got a Pizzelle maker 3 months ago… and my first attempts were so dismal that I never tried again. I had no idea the “secret” was to trim the ragged edges with a pair of scissors!!!! That’s ingenious! I feel so much better now :) Thank you!

Em, try again – use this recipe – really, you can do it! They’re so scrumptious… PJH

29. Claudia

I use almond flavoring, as that is my favorite, but always have to make 1/2 the batch with anise as that is my husbands favorite. At times I’ve rolled them as soon as they come out of the iron, while still warm and pliable, and filled them with ricotta cheese and orange flavoring, orange peel, and chocolate, and you have cannoli of sorts, good too.

I totally need to try this cannoli version at Easter – thanks for the ideas, Claudia. PJH

30. Kim Pozivilko

I loved reading the blogs and got so many ideas from everyone that I am ordering a pizzelle iron to make these with the kids. This sounds like so much fun.

Yes, I love all the different ideas here. Keep ‘em coming! And have fun, Kim – PJH

31. Kathleen Wall

I ate pizzelles as a child, but always thought they were something that you bought, not that you could make at home. I’ve had anise, lemon, orange, rum, flavored pizzelles but did someone say chocolate? But lack of an iron meant I was ever so grateful when friends remembered to pizzella me. A friend gave me a Swedish wafer iron, which I uncovered from my move (which was a year and a half ago…) just this morning and was thinking of putting into the Garage Sale pile, but now it’s going onto my stove! There are enough suggestions here for a pizzelle book.

32. Dianne in the PA Dutchlands

Agree with Claudia, above. I also roll my pizzelles into a cannoli form with a little wooden dowel. Tastes great, pizzelle/cannoli can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated in a big cookie tin. Fill with sweetened ricotta cheese immediately before serving.

We use this version of Cannoli at Christmas with mini choc chips.

Got my pizelle iron at the Salvation Army for less than $5.

33. Candace

PJ, Please add my request for a chocolate version to the many others you already seem to have. Would you use cocoa? I would think any other type of chocolate would ruin the crisp texture. Don’t have an iron but for a chocolate version I’d be tempted to look for one. Am glad I’m not the only non-purist re: flavoring. Maybe add some espresso powder, too, just a touch? Wow, I’m getting carried away! Try substituting 1/3 of a cup of cocoa for the same amount of flour, and a teaspoon of espresso powder to make a chocolate version. Molly@KAF

34. Bammom

PJ,

Have always loved pizzelles. Made some recently with a receipe from Anna Maria Callen’s book “Food and Memories of Abruzzo”. They were delicious, tasted a lot like my Mother’s. I have her old stovetop iron and the electric one we gave her many years ago. Still works!

I love to bake and enjoy your blog and the comments of fellow bakers.

Keep that pizzelle tradition going, Bammom – PJH

35. Betsy D. Owen

I think that those of you who don’t like the anise pizzelles are crazy–perhaps your recipes call for too much–mine combines both anise and orange flavorings–but to each his own. I just can’t imagine not having an iron–they really aren’t that difficult to store, but store with a sheet of waxed paper between the top and bottom.

36. Judy Johnson

I’d be happy to share the recipe. This makes a light cocoa tasting cookie.

3/4 c sugar
    1/2 c butter, softened
    3 large eggs
    2 tsps vanilla extract (I use Mexican Vanilla from KA)
    1 1/4 c flour (KA)
    1/4 c cocoa
    1 tsp baking powder

In large bowl at medium speed, beat sugar and butter til creamy. Reduce speed to low; beat in eggs and vanilla til just blended. Add flour, cocoa, and baking powder just until well mixed. Bake as directed by your pizzelle iron. Mine takes about 55 seconds. Enjoy – Judy

Thanks so much, Judy – can’t wait to try them! PJH

37. bert

Like many others, I grew up with these cookies, but didn’t eat them because my family made them with anise. Although I do like licorice I don’t care for the anise flavor, so when I began making them over 30 years ago, I used vanilla instead of anise. We make them every Christmas, and we give them away by the dozens (they are always happily received!). My iron does not have a non stick finish, so we spray it for the first batch and then are ok throughout the cooking. We have found that it is important to keep the temperature constant as possible and to be sure the cookie is cooked to avoid sticking (you develop a “feel” for the time with experience). A special favorite is to roll them into a cone shape and use as a base for ice cream or custard with fresh fruit topping. light and delicious.

38. Lesley

We dug the old iron out of the basement so I could try this recipe. The cookies taste delicious but are less crispy and more cakey than I expected. Did I do something wrong? The batter was very stiff. I also didn’t get as many cookies as the recipe suggested – fewer than 30 even though my iron makes the little ones.

Any suggestions?

Lesley, did you use large eggs? King Arthur all-purpose flour? Real butter? Did you measure your flour by gently sprinkling it into the cup, then sweeping off the excess with a straight edge? All of these make a difference in the yield, and the crispness. Sounds like your dough was too thick, which might be influenced by any of the above ingredients. Let us know- PJH

39. Marie

In response to my above post…
    I have tried to roll them right out of the iron. However, I don’t let mine get anywhere near as dark as you had yours… so maybe mine aren’t hot enough? I’m so worried about burning them, but I think I’ll try leaving them on for longer and then rolling to see what happens.

40. C.B.

I don’t begrudge the space that the pizzelle iron takes up in my cupboard, even though I only make pizzelles once a year. They are so easy to do and make such impressive gifts for people at Christmas time. I love the anise flavored ones, but have also made vanilla, orange, and chocolate.

I never thought of trimming them perfectly round with shears. What I normally do is to slightly underfill the iron. Then the pizzelle has an irregular snowflake edge which is pretty in its own way.

41. theresa

: Coconut Pizzelles
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/3 cup margarine or butter, melted
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 1/2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
    Chocolate Glaze
    1. Stir together flour and baking powder; set aside.
    2. Beat eggs in a small mixer bowl with mixer on high speed about 4 minutes
    or till thick and lemon colored. With mixer on medium speed, gradually beat
    in sugar. Beat in cooled margarine or butter, an vanilla. Add flour mixture
    and beat on low speed till combined.
    3. Set aside 1/2 cup coconut; chop remaining coconut (should have 3/4 cup).
    Fold chopped coconut into batter
    4. Heat pizzelle iron according to manufacturers directions. (Or heat
    pizzelle iron on range-top over medium heat till a drop of water sizzles on
    the grid. Reduce heat to medium-low.)
    5. Place a slightly rounded tablespoon of batter slightly off-center toward
    back of grid. Close lid. Bake according to manufacturers directions. (For
    nonelectric iron, bake for 30 to 60 seconds or till golden, turning once.)
    6. Turn wafer out onto a cutting board; cut into quarters. Transfer quarters
    to paper towel to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.
    7. Prepare Chocolate Glaze. Dip the rounded edge of each quarter into glaze,
    then into reserved coconut. Place on rack till glaze is set. Makes 72 to 96.
    Chocolate Glaze
    Stir together 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    powder, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in enough milk ( 1 to 2 tablespoons)
    to make a glaze.
    B H & G Christmas Cookies 1991

__________
    : Cinnamon-Chocolate Pizzelles

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1/3 cup margarine or butter, melted and cooled
    2 teaspoon vanilla

1. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and cinnamon.
    2. Beat eggs in small mixer bowl with mixer on high speed 4 minutes or till
    thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar on medium speed. Beat in
    margarine and vanilla. Add flour mixture; beat on low speed till combined.
    3. Heat pizzelle iron according to manufacturers directions. (Or heat
    pizzelle iron on range-top over medium heat till a drop of water sizzles on
    the grid. Reduce heat to medium-low.)
    4. Place a slightly rounded tablespoon of batter slightly off-center toward
    back of grid. Close lid. Bake according to manufacturers directions. (For
    nonelectric iron, bake for 30 to 60 seconds or till golden, turning once.)
    5. Turn wafer out onto a cutting board. Trim edges with a knife while till
    warm. Place on a paper towel to cool. Repeat with remaining batter. Makes 18
    to 25
    B H & G Christmas Cookies 1991

—————————————————————————-
    : Butter-Pecan Pizzelles

Try these with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce atop.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup margarine or butter, melted and cooled
    2 tablespoons milk
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1/2 cup toasted pecans, ground

1. Stir together flour and baking powder; set aside. In a small mixer bowl
    beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed about 4 minutes or till thick
    and lemon colored. With mixer on medium speed, gradually beat in sugar and
    brown sugar. Beat in cooled margarine, milk and vanilla. Add flour mixture
    and beet on low speed till combined. Fold in pecans
    2. Heat pizzelle iron according to manufacturers directions. (Or heat
    pizzelle iron on range-top over medium heat till a drop of water sizzles on
    the grid. Reduce heat to medium-low.)
    3. Place a slightly rounded tablespoon of batter slightly off-center toward
    back of grid. Close lid. Bake according to manufacturers directions.
    4. Turn wafer out onto cutting board. While pizzelle is still warm, trim
    edges with a knife. Place on a paper towel to cool. Repeat with remaining
    batter.

Makes about 40.
    B H & G Christmas Cookies 1991

Theresa (and BH & G) – we thank you! These look great- PJH

42. Deborah

Thanks Judy for the recipe!!! I ordered a new pizzelle iron for use at my home and should arrive today! I already have the batter mixed up and ready to go! Thanks everyone else for the other recipes. I’ve printed them off and added to my files.

43. FRAN

I also use a cookie disher (Scoop) for consistency. I find that any extra batter snaps right off at the edges and makes a yummy sample while I am working. The dogs ususally get a taste too. These are always in my Christmas cookie collection. But now that you mention them I just might make them for Easter.

44. Judy Johnson

Lesley, try reducing the flour amount by 1/4 cup. The recipe I started with was too thick; I wanted my cookies thinner and crisper, so reduced the flour, and liked the cookie much better. Good luck. Judy

45. Laurene

Thank goodness finally some good info on pizelles. I have been making these for 4 Christmas’ and still don’t have a pretty pizelle!! I am going to do the scissor method!!

46. sandy wagner

Looking for filling for Pizzelle using nutella

Hi Sandy: Spread pizzelle with Nutella, and make sandwich cookies. That’s what I do. Were you looking for something other than that? PJH

47. Weaver

finally made these yesterday. Fantastic! Rolled some of them and filled them with whipped cream that I whipped with some sugar and cinnamon. They were so darn good that the family is already asking for more. Thanks for the great recipe (as always!).

48. Geri

New to KAF site and totally enjoy everything I’ve read so far so much to learn and try. I especially have enjoyed all the variations of the pizelles. Always room for something new. With the holidays upon us these treats will be just perfect, beautiful and reasonable. Thanks everyone for sharing.

49. Lora

Where can I purchase a pizelle maker like the one pictured?
    We offer this through our catalogue. Item 4553. Joan @bakershotline

50. barbedlotus

I love pizzelles. I actually somehow ended up with four irons (the four at once mini one like in the pic, a regular two at a time one, one that makes really big ones perfect to roll into cones and a traditional over the fire iron that we using camping once in a while. Don’t ask how I got so many, I’m still trying to figure that out myself). I got the recipe from my great grandma’s, who I think got it from a friend. My favorite flavor are butter-rum or pumpkin spice, but my family really likes the almond ones and I usually have to make them for every holiday. Never thought of using a scope or a tuna can. I gotta try those. So far I’ve been picking off the rough egdes or just leaving them. To get the right amount onto the iron I use a large syringe with no needle on it and cut the tip a bit wider. I’ve never been able to just eyeball them so having something that measures out the amount helps.

That’s why I like the tablespoon cookie scoop – it’s just the right size for the perfect pizzelle! and those scissors to trim the ragged edges really help, too – PJH

51. Vince

my pizelles always come out too thick and cake-like. How can I get them to be more thin and crispy? Is there something I should be doing to the batter (more butter, less flour, etc.)? It sounds like you are using too much flour. Give us a call at 802-649-3717 and the baker’s would be glad to trouble shoot with you. Mary @ KAF

52. Chris

I’m having such a difficult time that I’m ready to toss the iron out the window! I have an old two-cookie iron (not teflon) and never had a problem before. I Pammed the surface before I started thinking that would help get started and not stick. After 10 burned, stuck on cookies, I gave up for now and unplugged. I used a fork to clean out the burned on batter and think I’ll start over. Help!

Sounds like you’d best go back to the recipe you used to use, Chris. Maybe it has more fat? Less egg? If that doesn’t work, try using melted shortening, not Pam – maybe there’s something new in the Pam that’s actually promoting stickiness in this kind of contact baking application… PJH

53. connie d iannuccilli

love your recipes but need to know how to keep them from getting soggy in summer. tks.

Connie, the only thing you can reliably do is store them airtight for a VERY short time, or freeze. Or store in one of those closed containers with a silica insert on top – they’re often called “cracker crispers” or something like that. The Brisker (you can Google it) is an electric breadbox-type container that keeps crackers and cookies crisp at ultra-low heat, electronically… PJH

54. krcjaeger

Tip…I just purchased new nonstick cookware and read the following warning on the label:
    “DO NOT USE NONSTICK SPRAYS on NONSTICK COOKWARE or heavy vegetable oils – an invisible buildup will impair the nonstick release system”.
    Brush on lightweight peanut oil instead. Peanut oil can tolerate the high heat without smoking or causing a buildup.

Thanks for the tip. A bit of patience and the extra step to brush instead of spray may help a lot of dishwashing/cleaning frustration later! Happy Pizzelle! Irene @ KAF

You sure can, Anthony – they freeze very well. One caveat – they become very brittle, and will easily shatter. Your best bet is to pack them securely in a plastic container of some kind (e.g., Tupperware), and put them somewhere in the freezer where they won’t get a lot of jostling. Good luck – PJH

Jamie, it’s a batter, rather than a dough. I think you probably could, though I’ve never tried it, so no guarantees. PJH

55. drjp3141

I have made the traditional anise flavored pizzelles for years. However, my friend has been diagnosed with Celiac disease. Is it possible to make gluten free pizzelles?
    Thank you.

56. cmayo4

Can anyone tell me what size (width) dowel I should be to roll the cookies? I want to make a tighter roll and dip one end in melted chocolate, rather than cannoli size filled cookies.

The diameter of the dowel should match the desired diameter of the pizzelle tube – so if you want a pizzelle with a 1″ opening, use a 1″ dowel. But don’t use pine – I found out the hard way that pine, when heated, will exude some very aromatic sap… :) PJH

57. andrea

I cannot understand why lots of you are having to trim baked cookies. You are over filling the iron. I just use a little less batter and they turn out perfectly. An easy way to grease iron is to spread 2 slices white bread with crisco and heat to golden brown in your iron before you start baking your cookies.

Andrea, it’s hard to strike that precise balance: less batter, oftentimes it doesn’t go all the way to the edge of the design, and they look ragged, and nothing you can do about it. A bit too much batter, you can trim – and eat the trimmings! :) Love the Crisco tip… PJH