Tunnel of love.

img_9683

Remember the famous Tunnel of Fudge Cake?

Clearly, this isn’t it.

And amazingly enough, there are people in this world who don’t live and die by chocolate.

The pages of whose cookbooks don’t automatically fall open to recipes for brownies and devil’s food cake and chocolate chip cookies.

You know who you are, vanilla fans. And lemon lovers.

And coconut connoisseurs.

According to the Pillsbury company, Tunnel of Fudge Cake is “arguably the recipe most closely identified with the Bake-Off® Contest.”

And even though it never won the grand prize (I searched the Bake-Off winners up through the 1980s, to no avail), it’ll always be a favorite concept of mine.

Cutting into a cake and revealing buried treasure? I’m all over that.

But Tunnel of Fudge Cake? Not this time. Tart lemon cake filled with sweet, gooey coconut is just the ticket for a bright, fresh spring day.

And for you reverse choco-holics.

OK, let’s get cracking (eggs)…

img_9601.JPG

Here are three ingredients you might like to keep handy in your pantry.

Cream of tartar is a stabilizer for any kind of meringue, or egg white-based filling or topping. You may also find it called for in old-fashioned cookie recipes; it was one of the original leaveners in snickerdoodles, for instance.

Coconut flavor is one of the 27 extra-strong flavors we offer. Just 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon is all you need to add great flavor to cake, cookies, scones, pancakes… you name it. Vanilla-butternut flavor, anyone?

Lemon oil is the perfect stand-in for grated lemon rind (zest), when you don’t have any fresh lemons on hand. Substitute 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon lemon oil for the zest of 1 to 2 large lemons. It’ll make your cakes, icings, cookies, and muffins positively sing.

Let’s get started. Since it’s all about lemons, we’ll begin by making lemon glaze.

img_9596.JPG

First, grate the rind from 2 medium-to-large lemons.

Our Microplane grater-zester does a fine job here. It’s one of those tools you don’t use every day, but when you need to zest a lemon or lime – man, you’ll be glad you have it.

Set the grated rind aside; you’ll be adding it to the cake batter later.

img_9633.JPG

Now, take those two denuded lemons and squeeze them; you want 1/3 cup lemon juice. Any extra, stir into your bottled water with a bit of Splenda for delicious calorie-free lemonade.

Stir 3/4 cup sugar into the 1/3 cup lemon juice. If you have superfine sugar, so much the better; it’ll dissolve more readily.

Set the glaze aside while you make the filling and cake.

img_9599.JPG

First we’ll make the coconut filling.

Put the following in a mixing bowl, and start to beat, using your mixer’s whisk attachment:

2 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt

img_9603.JPG

Add 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, and beat at high speed till the mixture forms fairly stiff peaks. When you scoop some up in a spoon, it should hold its shape easily.

Stir in 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon coconut flavor or 2 teaspoons vanilla. Or both. Can’t get too much of a good thing, and that includes complementary flavors.

img_9604.JPG

Mix 2 cups shredded or flaked sweetened coconut with 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, and add to the egg whites.

img_9607.JPG

Stir to combine.

img_9608.JPG

Set the filling aside while you make the cake. It doesn’t need to be refrigerated.

img_9625.JPG

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Lightly grease a 10” to 11” Bundt pan, or a 10” tube pan.

img_9610.JPG

Put the following in a mixing bowl:

1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt*

*Use just 1/2 teaspoon salt if you choose to use salted butter.

img_9611.JPG

Beat till well combined.

img_9612.JPG

Add 4 large eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl after you’ve added the first 2 eggs.

img_9614.JPG

Look at that lovely, fluffy batter!

img_9622.JPG

Stir in 2 teaspoons baking powder. Then add 3 cups (12 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour alternately with 1 cup milk.

img_9620.JPG

Beat at low speed as you’re adding the flour and milk.

img_9623.JPG

Stir in the grated lemon rind, or 3/4 teaspoon lemon oil.

img_9626.JPG

Spoon about 1/3 of the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula. You want to add enough to cover the bottom, and start to come up the sides, barely; but not so much that you don’t have enough left over to cover the filling.

img_9627.JPG

Distribute the stiff filling atop the batter, centering it within the ring of batter so it doesn’t touch the sides of the pan. Pat it down gently.

img_9629.JPG

Dollop the remaining batter on top, again smoothing it with a spatula.

img_9631.JPG

Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.

img_9634.JPG

It should rise nicely, and turn golden brown on top.

img_9638.JPG

Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack.

After 5 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen, and turn the cake out onto a rack. Place another rack on top, and flip it over, so it’s right-side-up.

img_9639.JPG

Oh, boy… isn’t it a pleasure to work with a great Bundt pan! No sticks, no tears – that’s one perfect-looking cake. Aside from the coconut filling you see peeking out around the inner edge… promise of good things to come.

img_9646.JPG

Brush the cake with the glaze.

img_9642.JPG

Brush the glaze on heavily; you have plenty.

img_9645.JPG

Once it’s soaked in, brush some more on. The result is a mildly lemon cake with a moist, assertively lemon outer crust.

img_9668.JPG

Now comes the hard part – wait till it’s completely cool before you make that first slice!

img_9654.JPG

WOW – I can’t believe I made this cake. Me, the non-cake baker… Looks good, and tastes even better!

Read, rate, and review (please) our recipe for Coconut-Filled Lemon Cake.

comments

1. HMB

With a Meyer and a Eureka lemon tree in my backyard, I’m always looking for recipes with lemon. This looks good …

WOW, lucky you!! I’m envious… :) PJH

2. Lorcàn

I feel a bit guilty for looking at that and thinking immediately of toroidal twinkie, only much more appealing (at least to me).

It looks fantastic, what a stunning pan. I will definitely try this!

3. Wei-Wei

That looks beautiful! I always love the look of a perfectly turned out bundt cake… And the glaze soaking in just LOOKS and SOUNDS amazing!

Wei-Wei :)

4. Memoria

This cake looks fantastic! I’m not crazy about coconut, but I’m sure I could think of other flavors!!

Memoria, as I mentioned to another reader, try finely diced almonds or dried fruit in place of the coconut – anything you can chop fine that’s not juicy/melty, and goes with lemon. Enjoy – PJH

5. Kara

Sounds really really tasty. Plus, I love your use of “denuded”. At first glance I thought…what? And then I realized your genius, PJ. Thanks as always for an entertaining and extremely educational post!

Genius?! WOW, don’t think I’ve ever had that adjective applied. And to denuded no less! Thanks, Kara – :) PJH

6. Elin

yum! i totally forgot about that tunnel of fudge cake– might have to dig it out of the archives…

DH strongly dislikes coconut– any suggestions for substitutions or modifications to replace it?

Elin, you could try finely diced almonds, or finely diced dried fruit (apricots? mango?) – those would be my best suggestions. Add enough to make the filling fairly stiff, so it holds its shape. Enjoy! PJH

7. ATL Cook

I still have my original Bundt pan–bought after the local gas company did a cooking show and the the demo used a Bundt pan. That was in 1972 and that pan is very heavy. I’ve since bought another one for $2 at the GoodWill many years ago, and also have a tube and Bundt silicone pan.

I like this shape because icing is not needed–being type 2 diabetic, I sure don’t need the icing. But, I have dusted powdered sugar or cocoa over a cake to great raves. Love coconut and this looks like a recipe to add to the collection.

Bundt pans are really nice that way – they make your cake look festive without you really doing any work. And as you say, a shower of sugar or small drizzle of glaze is all you need for a final touch. Hey, I think it’s time for you to put one of those trusted old pans to work for you! PJH

8. Rachel M

Is the filling very sweet? I love coconut, but I don’t like how sweet it usually is in baked goods…would it make any textural difference if instead of 2 cups sweetened coconut I used one cup of sweetened and one cup unsweetened, or some such division? I know the sweetened tends to be moister. We haven’t tried that substitution, but Ithink it would work fine. Give it a try and let us know how it comes out. Mary@ KAF

9. Jules

MMMmmmm. Hate coconut, love the idea of the cake. I’m thinking almonds. Maybe orange and almonds. I have Boyajian orange oil…

Jules, I’m thinking finely chopped (crushed) almonds would be absoutely perfect – or a suitable finely chopped (ground) dried fruit… PJH

10. GrapeSugar

Heavenly! I make a lemon pound cake which is very similar, however the coconut is a great addition! I love lemon or citrus, perfect for this time of year!

11. KimberlyD

How about putting the coconut filling in chocolate bundt cake. Maybe a blueberry filling in place of the coconut filling for those who don’t like coconut?

As PJ mentioned earlier, anything you can chop fine that’s not juicy/melty is good for the filling. Be sure your filling pairs well with the flavor of your cake. Irene @ KAF

12. Kim

A post after my own heart! There are those of us who would rather have fruit than chocolate and I am one of them. I LOVE lemon anything except for lemon meringue pie and can take or leave chocolate and am perfectly happy that way, thank you.

This cake looks amazing. I’m not a big fan of coconut flavor, so I think I’d leave out the coconut oil. I could go for a slice about now – do you deliver to MN? (Which, by the way, is where the great Bundt pan company, Nordicware, is located!)

13. Julia

My daughter just bought a Meyer lemon tree and has planted in our yard. Once it starts producing lemons, I will be making this cake. It will be a big hit at my daylily club’s annual Christmas party this year.

14. Lynn

Oh, what a beautiful bunt! Scatter it with some edible johnny-jump-ups or pansies and it would be perfect for Mother’s Day :)

15. Michael

Not a fan of lemon or coconut, but gives me ideas for other ways to play with the cake :) Off to the drawing board, and to find my bundt pan :)

16. Beth @ 990 Square

What about some kind of a lemon curd filling? Or is that just way too thin?

Beth, it’s too thin and would “melt” as the cake bakes… But perhaps diced candied lemon peel? PJH

17. megan

I have been making lemon EVERYTHING for weeks now! (prompting my husband to ask “how many lemons did you buy??”). But this is a new one. I really want to try it, but subbing almonds for the coconut like you suggested. yum!!

18. kate

oooh i love LOVE coconut AND lemon!! you managed to combine my favorite flavors! this is certainly going to be made this weekend… i kinda hope there are some coconut haters around ;)

19. Bev

I have small Bundt pan pans (looks like a large Bundt shaped cupcake). Any thoughts on whether this would work in those pans? Love anything with coconut in it!

This mini variation should work fine – it will be a labor of love to make the mini’s (put in the three layers into each shape), but what a treat for the beholder! Irene @ KAF

20. Becky in Greensboro

I was thinking that pineapple would be a good substitution (coconut not well received in this household). For textural similarity, perhaps shred some dried pineapple?

We love the exchange of ideas here. The dried pineapple should work well as the filling flavor – it won’t be too wet as fresh or canned pineapple might be. Irene @ KAF

21. AJ

Yes, there ARE people who don’t “live” for chocolate…ME! Don’t get me
    wrong…I like chocolate very much but if I had a Tunnel of Fudge cake
    and this one in front of me….well, the chocolate would lose. Funny, I
    thought “Twinkie”, too. As a child I was allowed Twinkies rarely but as
    and adult I treated myself when I wanted. I’m going to request this cake for Mother’s Day and will put any ingredients we don’t have on Saturday’s grocery list….NO excuses, kids!

22. Ellen

PJ,
    I’m looking forward to making this! I love lemon and coconut! Do you think I could make it with a pineapple cake and a rum glaze (thinking pina colada for a summer time treat). Any ideas on how I would go about that? Try using 1/2 cup crushed pineapple and 1/2 cup milk for the liquid. I would probably use pineapple flavor, and maybe add a pinch of baking soda to counteract the extra acid. It will be an experiment. Have fun with it. let us know how it comes out. Mary@KAF

23. Basma

i am not a cake lemon fan cuse i imagine this cake can turn like chocolate bounty >how about using vanilla flavor or orange zest ,and adding chocolate chips to coconut filling?< Sounds good. Give it a try. Have fun with it. Mary@KAF

24. Diana

Oh that looks SO good! I think I will have to try it with a mix of coconut AND almonds! I think I just gained a pound thinking about it. :)

25. Elise

Love cake, love lemon cake, love coconut cake. What could be better. I’d like to make this for my daughters college graduation. How far in advance can I make it? What is the best way to store this cake? Can it be frozen successfully? I was going to make lemon pie but like this recipe better for a crowd. We haven’t tried freezing it. I think the filling would break down and make for a soggy mess in the center. It probably could be made 2 days in advance. Hope this information helps. Have fun with it. Mary@ KAF

26. Joyce

Another MUST HAVE recipe. Sounds fabulous. Can’t wait to get the coconut, I am out right now. I have just learned to appreciate coconut, what have I been missing all these years. And lemon cake has always been a favorite.

27. Dulce

It looks yummy! I love those cake with that brown color, thick crust. I can’t wait until this saturday to make it. I didn’t know what dessert to bake, for Mother’s Day, now I know! Thank you KAF

28. Daphne

I love lemon and coconut too(as well as chocolate!). I plan on making this cake as soon as I get my ingredients together. I am wondering if after spreading the first layer of batter in the pan you take a spoon and with the smooth side down run a circle around the center to make an indentation. Then put the filling in a pastry bag with no tip or a ziplock bag with the end cut off and pipe it in the circle then cover with the remaining batter. That might help keep it from getting too close to the side and leaking out.
    These are some excellent tips-thank you for sharing. JMD @KAF

29. fran s

I too loved the “denuded” lemons. It makes perfect sense to me.
    I just took this out of the oven and it smells heavenly. I like the heavenly glow in the picture of the cake in the oven.
    My Nordic ware bundt pan measures 9×4″ and was way too small for all the batter, so I squeaked enough extra batter into an 8″ loaf pan. Now I get to taste it myself before I bring the bundt pan cake to a party. I used some ground vanilla beans and coconut flavor I had in the filling. I used grated lemon peel and a little lemon extract in the cake batter. I also found that I needed to heat the glaze just for about a minute in the microwave to dissolve the sugar and I put a dash of lemon extract in the glaze as well. Now for the hard part, waiting for it to cool. I guess I’ll just have to read the new blog and then clean up my dishes. Happy Mothers’ day to all the Moms out there!

30. Cheryl

I am anxious to try this recipe except I plan on using limes rather than using lemons. I was wondering if using both lime juice and lime oil would be overkill in the cake batter.

Try just the lime juice to begin with and taste. If you want to bump up the flavor, add a touch of the lime oil. Best to start small and add more if needed. ~ MaryJane

31. wendyb964

A BIG thank you to everyone at KAF and the bloggers/postees. YUM! I don’t think there’s a lemon dish I dislike. We have bountiful citrus, and my absolute favorite has been a homemade lemon fresh blueberry cake. I’ll definitely try this asap! I zested all the Eureka lemons when harvested, tossed them with some gran. sugar, and froze. Voila! Fresh lemon peel year–round with no discoloration. I’m so glad to have found this site! The blog provides new ideas without having to experiment, though most of the experiments I don’t care for still get gobbled up. Off to order more KAF goodies.

Lucky you, with Eureka lemons so available! They cost a fortune here in Vermont! Enjoy – PJH

32. Barbara

What a great recipe! Made this cake today (subbing a little Fiore di Sicilia to make up for half the lemon zest since I only had one lemon) and we all loved it!

33. leila

I made this cake, followed the directions exactly, everything looked like your pictures…but when we cut the cake open, there was no “tunnel” of filling. Seems to have just disappeared, except for the coconut. Any ideas about what went wrong, or how I could get it to turn out next time? It was still delicious, but I’m wondering anyway…
    Please call our bakers’s hot line so we can go over the recipe with you. JMD@KAF

34. Barbara

I am going to try using grated zucchini in place of the coconut. I love coconut, but when my garden comes in I always have a lot of zucchini and I had a recipe for chocolate zucchini cake with coconut flavoring. I was really good and you didn’t know that it wasn’t coconut so I will try it with maybe almond flavoring or even cinnamon

35. Bakes for Meetings

Did I miss it, but what happened to the 2 tsp baking powder?
    I did make this cake straight from this page because I loved the step by step and great photos so my cake does not contain baking powder.

So how did it turn out?

Well, it’s a bit dense, however the flavors were just wonderful. The tunnel of coconut does not look like picture. The coconut filling somehow was subsumed by the cake and the coconut tunnel is a bit dry. It was not creamy like a twinkie. I took it to work and well, you know people at work, they’ll eat anything ;-)
    This cake calls for 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Take a look at the directions from the main recipe page. And see step 8.
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/coconut-filled-lemon-cake-recipe -sorry you missed this ingredient. JMd @KAF

36. Aimee

I am proudly one of those non-chocolate people, and I have a recent obsession with all things Bundt, so I was excited to make this cake for my coconut-loving mother for Mother’s Day. The finished product looked gorgeous, but weighed a TON and when we cut it, it didn’t have that creamy coconutty center. It was just kind of a dense solid mass. I think maybe I didn’t whip the egg whites long enough…? It still tasted good but, I thought I’d see if you could detect my error!

Love the blog – my mom and sister and I are planning a weekend trip to Vermont in June and KAF is on our list! In fact, my sister and I gave her a KAF gift certificate for Mother’s Day! :) Thanks!!!
    Perhaps you are right, Aimee. Your whites need to be fairly stiff and shiny. The whites should hold there shape. Enjoy your trip to VT! Elisabeth @ KAF

1. bakersresource

37. Wendy R.

I too made this cake for Mother’s Day, and I think it turned out super-delicious! But I just wanted to chime in to say that my coconut tunnel ended up a dense mass too – as if I’d just pressed in shredded coconut straight from the bag. I was expecting a more meringue-y soft center, but the meringue had completely disappeared into the cake. I’m pretty sure I whipped the whites enough – the peak of the meringue was very stiff. I think maybe it was too much coconut and not enough meringue?

Anyway, don’t get me wrong – the cake was totally yummy and a huge hit regardless!

This sounds like a great opportunity to call and chat with one of our bakers. Call us at the direct number 802-649-3717 or call our 800# and ask to speak with a baker. Irene @ KAF

38. Ruth

I made this recipe into cupcakes for Mother’s Day and served them with strawberries and blueberries and a tiny touch of very lightly sweetened whipped cream. They were a hit.

I found the cake batter a little too thick and a little less lemon flavored than I had hoped for, so I thinned the batter with about 1/2 C. of fresh lemon juice (nice to have lemons on the tree in the yard!).

Definitely a keeper recipe!

39. Nessa

Like the poster above, the filling not gooey like I thought it was going to be however the cake was good, but .

I did beat the eggs until stiff and shiny, and folded in the coconut. Perhaps I over cooked the entire cake? However the cake wasn’t dry it was quite moist.

I didnt have any milk, so I diluted heavy cream to milk consistiency. Could that have been a factor?

I’ll try again and hope it comes out better!

Was the filling completely covered or surrounded by the cake? If filling is not completely covered, it may leak elsewhere! I think your milk substitution was just fine! Irene @ KAF

40. Don Stanley

Any suggestions for modifications at high altitude? Growing up on the East Coast, I never had to worry about such things, but after living in Colorado for near 30 years, it is still sometimes a struggle to get the texture of a cake such as this right. Try adding an extra egg, cutting the sugar back by a couple of tablespoons, and cutting the leavening by 1/4. See more high altitude tips here. Mary@KAF

41. Carol

This recipe is fantastic. My husband loves coconut so I made all coconut, by that I mean that I used 1 cup of unsweetened coconut milk in the cake recipe instead of milk. Also I used coconut milk instead of the lemon juice and omitted the lemon rind for the glaze and I used coconut flavoring instead of lemon. I heated up the sugar and coconut milk just enought to melt the sugar for the glaze. WOW! This is now our favorite coconut cake recipe. This is a keeper!

42. Jeanne

Just made this cake, and I too, didn’t get a tunnel. I had to bake the cake a lot longer than the recipe called for in order to get the cake tester to come out clean, and perhaps that was why. The cake turned out very dark, but wasn’t burnt. The lemon glaze is a must – the top layer is delicious, and the entire cake is wonderful, just not what I expected. I need to make it again and see if I can get the tunnel. The batter was too thin to stick to the sides, so I didn’t have an indentation in the middle – could that be why?

The thinness of the batter would definitely be a problem, Jeanne, as it would allow the filing to sink and disperse. Did you use King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour? Large eggs (not extra large)? Did you do anything that may have changed the flour/liquid ratio? Call our bakers’ hotline (802-649-3717) tomorrow to chat, if you like – I’m sure they can help. Cheers – PJH

43. Daniele C.

So I made this cake– twice– in the past 2 days. My mother-in-law loves lemon, so this is her birthday cake for today’s cookout. The batter tasted delicious, as did the coconut filling.

I will say, however, that the pan makes ALL the difference in the WORLD with this cake. The first time I baked this, I used my silicone cathedral-shaped bundt pan. Disaster! I baked it for an extra 20 minutes and it the tunnel of coconut STILL ended up on the outside of the cake (it was like a medieval disaster movie) and half the cake part caved in and slid out. And parts of it were overcooked (the crowns of the domes). The pictures are demoralizing to look at, still. It was also INCREDIBLY muggy this weekend, so I thought that the heat/mugginess was the problem, but then figured it was the silicone pan.

So, bought a metal bundt pan yesterday but couldn’t find a Nordicware pan here on short notice, so I used what I thought was a regular sized bundt pan. Looking at the photos on this blog, however, my pan was not as deep by a long shot. So the cake had to bake a bit longer to get the middle of the top to bake all the way through (making the edges a bit too cooked, but at least still totally edible). And the cake rose up above the actual pan (i.e. not a flat bottomed cake).

Lesson learned: definitely make sure you have a good-sized, quality bundt pan for this cake!

Although, I must add that the ruins of the disaster version made for a wonderful breakfast!
    Daniele – I am sorry the first attempt did not work out but am glad you were still able to enjoy its results (for breakfast!). The pan used in the blog is quite big, correct! It is 10 ½” x 4 ½” and has a 10 to 15-cup capacity, depending on what you make. (Bakeable capacity for cakes is about 12 cups of batter). Elisabeth @ KAF

44. Daniele C.

Well, I’m definitely going to have to buy the larger bundt pan. But I have to say– this cake was DENSE. And the coconut tunnel was there, but it was not so white and obvious compared to the cake part– and I didn’t use a ton of vanilla, so I don’t think that was what coloured it so dark. It seemed like there was almost too much coconut, even though I followed the amounts in the recipe and measured with the correct/dry cups. Would this be because the moisture baked out of the filling due to the extended length of time the cake had to stay in the oven?

I also didn’t sift the flour because I wasn’t sure if the recipe’s 2 cups of flour were an already-sifted or pre-sifted amount. Would that have made the cake dense (although, quite frankly, if I had sifted, the batter would have overflowed the pan, I think)?
    Daniele – You are back at, I see! It is nice to hear from you again. The filling is loaded with coconut as the picture reveals – almost looks like a paste. I do not see a problem there. I do not know what to say about the lack of color variation. Our light fixtures? Our photography? No need to sift the flour for this recipe. The only “sifting” if measuring by volume (cups) is done just prior to sprinkling the flour into your cup to be measured. It is important to aerate your flour by fluffing it up in its bag or container with a large spoon or scoop. Then, sprinkle it into your cup until overflowing, level it off. That should give you 4 – 4 1/4 oz. per cup. What a big difference it will make in your recipes. The density you are experiencing could be from your measuring practices whereby you are getting too much flour in your batter. And/or it could be from not using room temperature butter, eggs, milk. Begin with ROOM temperature ingredients so nice air cells can be developed. Do not mix at a high speed. Slow to medium is sufficient. Once the flour is added, just blend until combined. Good luck! Elisabeth @ KAF

45. Boots

OMG, I almost cried when I read your opening paragraphs (in a good way)! I am a woman who doesn’t like chocolate! Admittedly I have my chocolate cravings every now and then, but I would choose vanilla, lemon or especially coconut over chocolate ANY day. So glad to have found this cake and I am so trying it! I love finding kindred spirits lol

Well, Boots, glad they were almost-tears of joy… Hope it meets your expectations! PJH