Sam’s Pulled Pork & Coleslaw: heaven on a bun.

Pork shoulder, simmered for hours in a vinegar/brown sugar broth, fall-off-the-bone tender…. this is barbecue at its best.

It’s so readily available in the South and Midwest; so UNAVAILABLE in most of the rest of the country.

Oh, sure, there’s probably good barbecue in metropolitan areas all over. And there may be pockets of barbecue scattered around, say, South Dakota.

And some expat may have set up his or her pit in Vermont – someone like Curtis Tuff, who’s been selling chicken and ribs at Curtis’ Barbecue (a.k.a. Curtis’ All American “9th Wonder of the World” Barbecue) in Putney, Vermont for years.

But for authentic barbecue in much of the country – well, you just have to make your own.

Is homemade barbecue “authentic”? Depends on your definition. It won’t be the same as Arthur Bryant’s in Kansas City, or The Rendezvous in Memphis, or even Curtis Tuff’s in Putney.

But if it tastes good, who cares? Sometimes authenticity just has to take a back seat to availability. And in the case of pulled pork – well, it’s REALLY hard to make “bad” pulled pork.

We realize there are many versions of pulled pork out there; lots of opinions about what type of roll it should he heaped on; and whether it should be accompanied by coleslaw on top, or on the side.

Our thanks to Richmond, Vermont native Sam Libby for sharing his Northern take on this Southern classic with us. We make no claims to authenticity; the only thing we can say for sure is, it truly tastes good!

Let’s buy the meat first.

Ask your butcher (or look for) pork butt or bone-in pork shoulder. It’s a relatively inexpensive cut, so it won’t set you back too much, considering how many sandwiches the meat will make.

It’s best to make pulled pork the day before you want to serve it. It takes about 9 hours to cook, if you use a slow cooker as I do here; and the resulting broth should be chilled to remove the fat before you use it to make sauce. So plan ahead.

Speaking of planning ahead, choose your rolls. A double batch of these Deli-Style Hard Rolls makes 12 rolls. You’ll end up with about 12 cups of pulled pork, and 3 cups of coleslaw; so 12 rolls is just right.

When you’re ready to cook the meat, sprinkle it generously with salt…

…then coat it heavily with brown sugar, patting it on as best you can. Some will fall off, obviously, as you turn the meat; that’s OK.

Place 1 large onion, peeled and cut into chunks, into the bottom of a slow cooker.

If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can cook the pork over a very low burner (preferably with a flame tamer), or in an oven just hot enough to keep it simmering. A slow cooker is the easiest bet here, though.

Place the pork shoulder on top of the onion.

Drizzle in 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, and 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce.

Next, it helps to give your slow cooker a head start. If the cooker has a removable, microwave-safe insert, place it in your microwave and cook for 5 minutes or so, to warm the meat and other ingredients.

Put the lid on the insert, replace it in the slow cooker, and turn the cooker to high.

Let the shoulder cook for 3 to 4 hours.

The meat will have lost its pink color…

…and you should be able to pull it apart somewhat.

But it’s not done yet; we’re going for ultra-tender here.

So – reduce the heat to low, and cook for an additional 5 hours or so, until the pork falls off the bone and shreds apart easily when you poke it with a fork.

See how soft the meat is now? Remove the bone and any whole pieces of fat. Gently stir the pork, until it starts to fall apart.

Season to taste with additional salt (up to about 1 1/2 teaspoons, depending on how much you used initially).

And there you have it – tender pork swimming in a tasty broth.

Drain the pork, saving the broth. Refrigerate it until you’re ready to use it make sauce, or simply to moisten the drained pork.

Next up: my grandma’s coleslaw.

Place the following in a mini food processor or blender:

1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar

Process until smooth. A stick blender works well here, too.

Pour a 1-pound bag of coleslaw vegetables into a bowl. Or shred a pound of cabbage and carrots (or your favorite coleslaw vegetables) into a bowl.

Top with the dressing.

Toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Now, if you want to make sauce out of the reserved broth, here’s what to do:

See the solidified fat on top of the broth? Pull it off and discard.

Spoon the gelled broth into a large, shallow saucepan.

Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.

Add 1/2 cup ketchup, 1 teaspoon hot sauce, and 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring, if desired. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes, or until the sauce is somewhat thickened and reduced to about half its original volume.

It’s not as thick as a really thick barbecue sauce; but it’s definitely glaze consistency.

At last! Let’s make sandwiches.

Reheat the pork until hot, then drizzle with the glaze, if desired.

Split each roll. Heap with pork…

…and top with coleslaw. A dill pickle slice is optional.

Chow down!

And we did. Liz (left, above), one of our product managers, is a North Carolina native. While she says this Northern version of pulled pork is “totally wrong” – it’s sweeter than what she’s used to – she added it’s also “totally delicious,” and gave it her blessing.

Halley, our director of online services, shows how to stuff a bun.

Brook (left), a member of our product team, eats gluten-free, so she’s enjoying just the pork. Ben, our Web designer, had TWO sandwiches.

Luckily, I grabbed one to take a picture before everything disappeared…

Read, make, and review (please) our recipe for Sam’s Pulled Pork Sandwich and Coleslaw.

comments

1. amber219

Texas is beef country, but that doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate good pulled pork – especially when it’s on a beautiful bun like that.

For a Texan twist, next time, throw a can of Dr. Pepper (if you can manage, get a hold of the real sugar DP they sell at the Dr. Pepper museum in Waco, TX – they ship) into the crock pot. The flavors it adds to the pork will surprise and delight you.

Huh. Thinking of it, I think this is Sunday night’s dinner. YUM!

Amber, thanks for the Texas version – I think we can get real sugar DP around here (or is it different in Waco?) – sounds great. I’ve actually made Coca-Cola-basted ham… Cheers! PJH

2. lisadiaz

Looks fantastic! Question…can you do slow cooking in a regular pot if you don’t have a slow cooker? I have one, but someone I know with limited kitchen space does not and wanted me to make some of my recipes in a stove top pot on low. I’d also like to make this one for her but don’t want to ruin the meat by using the wrong tools. YOur thoughts?

Sure, Lisa. It would be great if she had a “flame tamer” – a circle of metal, usually anodized aluminum, that goes between pot and flame/burner, to keep the heat way down. If not, she’ll have to experiment; it needs to simmer, not boil, not burn on the bottom… Good luck- PJH

3. dariawalton

I just got a shrink-wrapped pork shoulder at the grocery store and threw it in the freezer – it was marked down, too! We’ll haul it up to camp later this summer and feed the crowd well. I might use your recipe instead of the one I saw on TV, though I won’t have a slow cooker, just the stove and oven.

Stove/oven will work just fine, Daria – the goal is slow and long, however you reach it. Enjoy – PJH

4. martibeth

Wow, PJ, you’re mighty brave to tackle a subject like pulled pork and cole slaw. I’ll have to try this. BTW, a must-have ingredient of cole slaw is celery seed – just FYI. I can’t wait to see all the comments on this blog.

Marti, my grandma always used celery salt – maybe it was easier for her to get back then? And don’t worry, I’m complete Teflon – everything rolllllls right off! :) PJH

5. amgbooth

This looks very good. I saw the bun recipe yesterday and thought I needed to make pulled pork soon. I usually brine my pork butt in a brown sugar/kosher salt/spice rub mixture overnight. I drain and rinse and then rub more of the spice rub on it. I cook it until it falls apart, then remove the bone and excess fat, add my barbecue sauce and a dash or two of liquid smoke and cook for another hour in the slow cooker, too. Liz might approve because it isn’t overwhelmingly sweet and the spice rub I use gives it good flavor, though it is still probably “wrong”. Maybe more Memphis than NC. Of course, if she thinks it’s wrong, she should be sharing her recipe. Just sayin’. :)

6. Brenda

We’re fortunate to have really good pulled pork up here. The only problem is, it’s a truck that goes around to different towns. When he’s here, I’m at work. He’s in the town where I work on Saturday and sometimes Sunday. Think your recipe is on the menu some time soon!

7. dawn01

When the pork shoulder is on sale for .99 a lb. I buy a few and throw them in the freezer. In the fall I make this with 6 lge chopped onions 6 peeled and sliced apples some cider maple syrup and vinegar. I put everything in a roasting pan cover it tightly with foil and cook @ 250 degrees overnite in the oven for 7-8 hrs.the smells are wonderful but its a little unnerving if you wake up @ nite and smell something cooking.

8. Problem buying pork

I have thrown away so much pork I thought was fresh cut because it is packaged by major meat companies and soaked in their awful marinades. Is there anyway, short of going to an old fashioned meat market, to obtain chemical-free pork? Your wonderful cooking method would not cover up what Hormel has injected into the pork roasts in my grocery.
    You could try checking your local health food market. They often carry meats from local farms that are handled respectfully. ~Amy

9. hamletscrummed

I make slow cooker pulled pork– but I add some other ingredients to make a heartier sauce. This lighter version may appeal to those with more sensitive stomachs, so I’m going to have to give it a go.

I DO recommend trying some Liquid Smoke– it adds that smokey flavor well-known and well-loved by anyone who has been treated by some “authentic” southern bbq! And it’s not a rare/expensive item, either…

For those who don’t like mayonnaise, a Carolina Slaw might be just the ticket as a substitute for the cole slaw. It goes very well with pulled pork.

I also heartily recommend serving a side of Maple Cornbread (p. 85 of the KAF Baker’s Companion)– it’s a great (Yankee) complement to the tang of the pork and slaw!

10. martibeth

hahaha, after mentioning this blog to my husband (Virginia born and raised), he replied, “What do those people up in New England know about pulled pork?!!”

11. Micah

I applaud you for giving pulled pork a try, even if your method is “totally wrong.” Since I’m from South Carolina, I take good pulled pork for granted. The one thing that you miss if you use a slow cooker is the “bark” on the outside of the meat that forms as you smoke it. It is without a doubt my favorite part. The salt, brown sugar, and seasonings combine with the smoke and form a layer of intensely flavored meat that the smoke turns a dark pink. Some places call this part “burnt ends” but it’s far from burnt; it’s sublime.

Micah, I’ve read about burnt ends – they would absolutely be my favorite part. And true, there’s nothing “burnt” about cooking in a slow cooker – more’s the pity! Maybe someday I’ll taste REAL barbecue… PJH

12. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez - Petrópolis, RJ- BRAZIL

WOWWWW!!!
    this shoulder´s pork meat is one of Brazilian´s favorites…WE LOVE A LOT!! here is really comon at many portuguese style bars that exists at any corners or streets. We call here ´SANDUÍCHE de LOMBINHO `….DELICIOUSSSS
    Here is usual to fill 2 slices of french bread with only that smooth pork shoulders with nothing more, maybe some butter added.
    And all we Brazilians LOVE this sandwich A LOT.
    Now i´ll try this new version you give to us!
    Surely DELICIOUS toooo
    P.J., i´m opening a new business here. A small Artisan Bread Bakery that will be ready on 2 weeks. I´ll send pictures of my small Bakery when i´ll be there at hard work with my wife and little son Renzo…!!!!!!! Wait until thereeeee!!!

Best of luck with your bakery, Ricardo – I look forward to seeing some pictures. Post them on our community, if you could – I’m sure everyone would be interested… PJH

13. cgbeck3

….not a comment on the recipe, which looks delicious…really like the style of this post. Much more engaging, and the photo narrative is terrific….kudos to editorial/web designer…the picture at each step are so helpful to trying new recipes….

Thanks for your kind comments… PJH

14. Melissa

I was going to do pulled pork in my pressure cooker this weekend, but I may just give your recipe go instead. Even though I won’t get the bark, which just like Micah above says, is the best part, this looks really yummy. Thanks for posting it !

Enjoy, Melissa – I’d like the burnt ends, too, but slow cooker is so much more accessible than smoking for 12 hours… PJH

15. Cindy leigh

Ahhh… Having liived in the south, I’ve sworn off all but truly smoked pulled pork. (and baby back ribs)
    The small electric smokers are only about $50 at the big box hardware stores.
    The Boston butts get injected with an apple cider/ ginger ale mixture, and get a dry rub that contains about 11 seasonings. It rests in the refrig overnight, then into the smoker, usually in the evening. Fragrant wood chips go in for the first few hours. Then it’s low and slow and pretty no fuss for 12-16 hours. From there, it gets wrapped in foil and towels and goes into a small cooler for a few hours.
    Then it’s fork shredded and served with sauce only on the side! Good Q never has sauce mixed in before serving. Not hard to do at all, and far outshines “stewed pork”, which I guess does in a pinch. Maybe.

16. Rob

I must have hit a real nerve with my comments about authenticity and tradition.
    While I must agree with the comments about this being “totally wrong” I think smoking a whole hog would be quite ambitious for a flour company :D

My suggestion with this recipe is when the meat is done cooking, take it out of the broth and put it in the oven to firm up and dry out slightly. It gives the meat a better texture IMO.

Thanks, Rob. While this wouldn’t add the benefit of “burnt ends,” it would indeed firm the meat up, give it more the texture of smoking. I’ll have to try that next time- PJH

17. karenbrat1

“Problem buying pork”, so many more people are now raising pigs and poultry, you should be able to find someone reasonably nearby raising animals healthily where you can buy 1/2 a pig or maybe even cuts. Check craigslist, ask 4-H leaders, google local harvest, locavore, 100 mile diet, farmer’s markets etc.

18. Irene in TO

I don’t have a crockpot. I put the meat into the fridge overnight with dry seasoning rub in a ceramic casserole dish. To bake, I cover with tightly-sealed foil as well as the casserole lid. My oven is reliable at 250F so it takes at least 5 hours to cook (depending on the size of the cut). It comes out just as tender and juicy–but I prefer to let the meat cool down in its juice before pulling etc.

The seasoning rub includes ancho chile powder and lots of garlic. I squeeze a fresh lime into the sauce at the end. I skip the salt and the meat tastes even better.

19. Lydia

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned this, but I thought I would. If you’re using fresh ingredients for the slaw and shredding your carrots, squeeze the juice out after you shred them. Otherwise your slaw will be orange.

Thanks, Lydia – good tip! PJH

20. Megan

The only thing I do a little differently is to reheat the shredded pork back in the crock pot on low with some of the sauce/liquid. With the bulk of the liquid I do cook it down for spooning over the pork on a bun. I just find the pork to be much more moist and flavorful using a little of the liquid for reheating.

Some in my family make a cheese sauce out of Velveeta and love to pour that over the pork. It’s very messy and very yummy.

Love the recipe, thanks!

21. takefive34

Love, love, love the pulled pork…………but Cuban pork (lechon asado) makes the best, in my estimation! It’s Boston butt slowly oven cooked in a liquid consisting of herbs (dried and fresh), Seville orange juice, mojo sauce, and Chablis. Takes about 4 hours or so at 300 degrees for a 6-lb. piece of meat; it’s done when you can easily pull out the bone. Pure heaven!!! Of course it’s best served with sides of black beans and rice, fried plantains, and Cuban bread…….but, then, we live in the St. Pete, FL area!! Will definitely have to try making the deli-style hard rolls to serve it on, though!

Thanks again, P.J. Have already made our annual pilgrimage to KAF; can’t wait until next year to check out the completed building additions!

So many things to do with pork butt, so little time… :) Thanks for sharing your take on this – I’ll definitely have to try it. And thanks for visiting – when you come back next year you’ll get the same warm greeting, and see a whole new look! PJH

22. bgwilson

I made the pork and the rolls and my family ate everything! My son said, “Mom, this is one of the top 3 recipres you have ver made!” Then I finished the meal with the KAF blueberry pie recipe — I am a true beliver in “clear jel”!! Thank you , KAF!!

Now, THAT sounds like a true summer supper – barbecue and blueberry pie! Thanks for sharing – PJH

23. KimberlyD

I made pulled pork in my slow cooker a few weeks ago, I cooked it in onion soup mix and spices. But I do like how you did yours.
    I have made BBQ beef sandwiches before. I cooked a roast beef in slow cooker with onions and Worcestershire sauce and a dash of vinegar and spices. My 20 yr old nephew is visiting with me for awhile, he was hungry and made 3 hot dogs and put the pulled pork on top of it and said it was the best hot dogs he ever had! lol! I even put the pork and cole slaw in a wrap, and made a southern burrito! It was good.

Wow, Kimberly – pulled pork atop hot dogs – now THERE’S an idea! Sounds like something a 20-year-old guy would totally go for. And I like your wrap idea, too. Thanks for sharing- PJH

24. davidssa

OK, PJ, no judgment on the pulled pork. But you are always encouraging others to be brave, and I’ve tried a number of things I never would have because you said I could… and many have succeeded, although some have failed. So I think it’s time for you to try smoking. My (NY) husband was forcibly transplanted to Virginia, and he is the best pitmaster around, even if it is only on a Webber. And I’m here to tell you, there’s nothing in this world like homemade BBQ. It takes all day, but so what? All yeast bakers know the joys of slow food. Give it a whirl!

I’ve actually smoked chickens and turkey breast – ONE of these days I’ll try pork or beef, for sure. Thanks for the encouragement, D- PJH

25. Bridgid

We have a wood fired smoker. And guess how I make pulled pork? In the crock pot. Why? Because I DON’T have 15 + hours to baby the smoker, keeping temperature consistant, checking the meat, etc. Here in the NE it gets cold at night and I am not going to spend my overnight checking the fire. If we had an electric smoker, sure, I’d make it in that.
    Yep, I miss the “burnt ends.” But I’d miss my sleep more!
    And no one has ever complained to me that my pulled pork was anything but delicious, which is the whole point, right? I’m sure some of my friendly neighbors to the south will disagree, that we don’t know what REAL barbeque is, but I do make some of the best Texas brisket out there, no matter what state you’re in.

And PJ – that whole hog comment sounds like a challenge to me! Are you going to have it at the KAF annual picnic? And if there isn’t one, this is the year to start one!

We do have an annual picnic, Bridgid, and it’s coming right up – though with everyone’s schedules, I doubt “whole hog” is on the menu! PJH

26. Margy

I always do my pulled pork in a crock pot–don’t have a smoker/barbecue, and really don’t want to have the oven on for 5-6 hours during this heat wave we’re having on the Atlantic coast. I use a spice rub (varies according to my mood), let it marinate overnight, slice a bunch of onions into the crockpot, put in the pork, pour over bottle of root beer (non-diet), and let that baby go low and slow until it pulls apart, then drain, shred, add some Sweet Baby Rays, then let it go on high for few hours. For fake burnt ends, I leave the crockpot lid ajar for the last few hours, and stir in the brown crust that forms on the side. I also boil down the liquid I initially poured off until syrupy and stir that in. Never had a complaint, and they scrape that crock dry! Not traditional pulled pork, but in Maryland we’re famous for our pit beef, so it all evens out!

Oh, Margy, love your idea for burnt ends – and I have to try that Sweet Baby Rays, the folks at work here were talking about it, too. Here’s to tasty barbecue, however and wherever we enjoy it! :) PJH

27. wingboy

We went to a birthday celebration that was originally supposed to be in a park. Due to the inclement weather, the party was moved indoors.

A 5 pound shoulder roast went in the crock pot. I made a double batch of cheese burger buns, scaled at 1.75 ounces for sliders. A little bit of Carolina slaw was made.

We thought we’d keep the pork hot and just make a tray full of sliders as needed. You know, check the tray and make a few every once-in-a-while. Well, the first tray lasted about 3 minutes. The second tray lasted about 10 minutes. A 5 pound roast and 30 buns came out just right. We didn’t bring any leftovers home. :(

One of the ladies at the party asked about my buns (blush). The fact that they were home made got her so excited that she spilled her wine.

Ah, so THAT’S what you brought to the party! Good choice – and I can just imagine the scene of flabbergastion (new word! flabbergasticity?) followed by wine spillage… You paint a great picture, Tom! PJH

28. ancameni

Thanks for the recipes. I have just finished making the pork, the sauce is simmering, the buns are done. And so far it is amazing. Another great recipe to use the slow cooker and to me, my taste buds like it. Glad it does not heat up the kitchen or requires 15+ hours not too mention the smoker. Thanks,,I really should have known that anything from Kaf is great..

Greetings from Kansas

Thanks so much for your kind words – from Kansas no less, home of some of the country’s best barbecue! Glad it all worked out well for you- PJH

29. Nicola @ unhip squirrel

Yum.. I love pulled pork. I’ll have to make that again sometime soon. It’s so easy and so good!

30. juthurst

Mmmm… crock pot pulled pork is better than none at all, but my vote goes to using the smoker for 12 hours as the flavor is incomparable.
    We did 4 butts for our son’s grad party last week and it was delectable. The only thing missing was “Bone Suckin’ Sauce” which we can no longer get here in S. VA ( a NC product that will have you suckin’ on the bones for that last nugget of flavorful tender meat)
    Props to you for including the slaw on the bun- a nice down home touch that can sweeten a vinegar based pork BBQ or can tarten up a sweeter based pork BBQ.
    I’d like to try a good Beef Brisket- anyone out there got a good brisket smokin’ recipe they wanna share?

31. lolaj

Not wanting to serve PORK, I talked to two butchers and they both suggested that i could substitute a chuck roast. Couldn’t have been easier or more delicious!

32. LinaBrooks

Wow! This was so-oo good! I’ve never made pulled pork or coleslaw before but now I’ve made both (and put them together no less)! This was totally fantastic, and will definitely go on top of my go-to recipe stack.

33. Gawucy

I was raised in NY but I have lived in VA/NC for many yrs. NC BBQ uses more vinegar than the VA style. My family/friends love this southern treat. I’m going to try your BBQ. It is about the same as mine except I use store bought Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce & Ketchup. I like your “slaw” recipe as they call it down south..It’s still “cole slaw” to me. I enjoy the King Arthur site. We recently purchased a Bread Machine. I’m really enjoying the experience and the “extra articles” in your web site.
    Thanks.

So glad you’re enjoying all the resources we offer – enjoy your new bread machine! PJH

34. Ali D.

Wanted to mention that I made this last weekend, and it was fantastic! My husband even commented that the sauce was just like his mom used to make for ribs – a real compliment. But I live in the UK and when I went to the butcher and asked for pork butt, I got some very funny looks. He knows I am American, but it took a few questions for him to realize what I needed. I will remember this for next time and not make the same mistake. Thanks again for the great recipe ideas.

35. cheflulu

Made this for Fathers Fay dinner. Started it last night around 8, on high for 3-ish hours, low for 8, shredded it when I got up this morning & followed the rest of the recipe as written. Delish!! Even my SUPER picky 10-year old liked it, sauce and all. Will definitely make this again…and again…

What a nice Father’s Day treat! And making it overnight gives you plenty of time to de-fat the broth and make sauce, too. Glad you all enjoyed it- PJH

36. Mary.B

I made this for Father’s Day, using a 9 lb. pork shoulder. It fed 9 adults (and 1 hungry toddler!) with very few leftovers – it was that good! Someone even made the comment that it was better than the slooooow roasted barbecue a gentleman in these parts is famous for. :) Thank you so much for such a delicious recipe.
    By the way, I have never used celery seed in coleslaw before, and it made a big difference. Just delicious. Thanks again!

Glad we could add a new favorite to your recipe box, Mary! PJH

37. chris348

If you want to do something different, try mixing in some Asian flavors. A few months ago, I threw together a mix of soy sauce. chicken stock, rice wine, chili garlic sauce, mirin, ginger, sesame oil, green onions, and garlic. Pair with a spicy Asian slaw and you have a great meal. It would be especially good with a Chinese style steamed roll….

Wow, sounds truly delicious… Thanks for the inspiration, Chris- PJH

38. kathyfb

I can’t find liquid smoke…what is it and is there something else I might use? help…this is on the weekend menu!
    Liquid Smoke is essentially made from filtering water that has captured the flavor of smoke through various processes depending on the brand. Some add vinegar, molasses, and caramel color to the mix to mellow the flavor, while others leave it as is: potent and smokey! There isn’t really a substitution for liquid smoke, so I would just omit the small amount from the recipe if you are unable to find it in your local grocers by the bbqs’. -Jessica

39. Myla

This is delicious! The pork is good by itself and the sauce makes it extra tasty. I am glad I made it!

Welcome to heaven – if you were thinking St. Peter would be at the gate, bet you were surprised to see Sam (of Pulled Pork and Coleslaw) and KAF! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

40. jenn0870

I wonder if you could do something similar with Chicken. I have a friend who doesn’t eat pork, but loves BBQ. I’m afraid the apple cider vinegar would be too acidic for the chicken, though, and break it down too much.

I, however, do eat pork and will be trying this very soon. ;-)
    I think chicken would work just fine with this recipe. ~Amy

41. reanne

Has anyone ever tried running the cooked pork under the broiler or in a hot oven for a few minutes to give it that seared/brown- end flavor?

Haven’t tried it but it sounds good, just be careful not to dry out the meat. betsy@kaf

42. Nids

OMG!!!!!! This is the best recipe ever! Truly AMAZING! While combining my barbecue sauce ingredients in the saucepan I added a little grape jelly and a touch of honey for a slight sweetness, it was a huge hit at my last get together, my husband even added several teaspoons of sriracha hot chili sauce in the cole slaw dressing so you have that sweetness from the pulled pork and a slight kick to the cool slaw! Totally amazing,

I need to try the sriracha in the coleslaw – never thought of that, and it sounds delicious… Thanks for the inspiration! PJH

43. kellie jones

I’m going to try this for a benefit dinner at my church.. I’m cooking for 200, this looks right AMAZING!!!

Kellie, it’s simple, simple, simple, and so good. Best of luck with your benefit dinner – PJH

44. Brendy

I was hungry for pulled pork & coleslaw sandwich, but never really enjoyed my current recipes, so decided to do a search for a new one. I happened to come across this one and am so happy to have found it. It is the best pulled pork I’ve ever had. My husband raved about it too. It was so easy to make, and so delicious. We also loved the coleslaw. This will forever be my go to recipe for pulled pork. Thank you for sharing!

Brendy, so glad we could help find the “pulled pork of your dreams.” Indeed, it’s easy and delicious, isn’t it? It also freezes/reheats well, if you don’t want to eat it all at once. Enjoy! PJH

45. Jenn

Just a question on the meat you used. I can’t tell from the picture if you removed the pork skin prior to cooking. Usually when I get a bone in shoulder, it still has the skin on it (which is perfect when I make Pernil and we eat all that crispy skin) but I think it might get in the way for this application. We just got our first 1/2 pig last weekend and I want to try this recipe soon. Thanks!

Jenn, usually the pork butt I use has the skin on one side – does that make sense? It falls off as the meat simmers. Good luck! PJH

46. Jenn

Thanks PJ that makes perfect sense and is exactly what I needed to know! This will be on the menu for the game next weekend :-)

47. chef jeff

I have had good results with a roaster pan. 225F for 10 to 12 hours. brine the butt in 1/2c brown sugar and1/2 c salt per one gallon water over night. rub your choice of spices or just s&p,10 to 12 hours or till 195f degrees. add some cider vinegar and some spices. have your choice of sauces on the side,and your choice of slaw, and cheap buns.