Cinnamon Ice Cream: the warmest frozen treat of the year

cinnamon-ice-cream

Forget the first green buds on the trees, or seeing the first robin of spring. Here in Vermont you know spring has arrived when the ice cream stands open again. Take last Saturday, the first gloriously sunny day in almost 2 weeks…

I had been heavily sidelined by a bout with pneumonia for over a week, and was finally climbing the hill back to wellness. For some reason, my biggest desire during my down time was to get a new bird feeder for the living room window. We are lucky enough to live right in the woods so song birds and feathered creatures abound.

Showered and bundled up with a hearty breakfast in my tummy, my husband took me off to the wide world for an outing. (Reading British children’s books, didn’t you always want to go on an outing? It always sounded so much better than going shopping).

Now, I don’t think either of us was really thinking ice cream stand at this point but once we arrived at our local Big Box Store which happens to share a parking lot with a huge ice cream stand, we were definitely thinking frozen treats. Lo and behold, they were open and there wasn’t even a line!

Oh, decisions, decisions! Would the chocolate make me feel best, or the strawberry cheesecake? Should I get the peppermint stick milkshake, or Caramel Caribou? Or would they have a version of my new favorite from the KAF kitchens, Cinnamon Ice Cream?

Alas, alas, no cinnamon ice cream to be found. What is a lady to do?!  My knees may still have been feeling a bit weak, but I stood firm in my resolve. I ordered strawberry cheesecake, and made my master plan to whip up a batch of Cinnamon Ice Cream at home. Ah, the best of both worlds!

Join me in taking control of the ice cream spring madness and we’ll make Cinnamon Ice Cream. It warms and cools you at the same time, and plays beautifully with the fruits of summer that will be showing up in our stores and farm stands soon.

In a small bowl, blend together

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 cup milk

Mix until the sugar dissolves. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and whisk again.

Add 3 cups heavy cream, 2 whole eggs, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon oil and a small dash of salt.

Yes, you’ll be adding raw whole eggs to this recipe. You can use pasteurized eggs, or liquid eggs to be on the safe side. I happen to get my eggs from the backyard coop, so I’m good to go.

Place the ice cream base in the freezer for an hour, or in the fridge for several hours to chill. Cold base freezes faster in your machine, making for a smoother finished ice cream.

cinnamon ice cream1

Freeze the base according to your machine’s directions. Here you can see the empty machine, then the ice cream after 5, 10 , and 20 minutes. No, no I swear there is just as much in there as when I started. Honest, I didn’t sneak any tastes. Hey, why is my nose growing like that?!

The ice cream will come out of the machine at soft-serve consistency. You can eat it right away, or place it in a sturdy container and freeze for another few hours.

When I make ice cream, I try to make at least two batches at a time. I start early in the day and have them in the freezer by lunchtime. This makes for a nice choice come dessert time on the weekends.

Rich, creamy and just a little spicy. This is the only ice cream that I’ve ever had that actually warms me up as I eat it. Taste testers said it reminded them of old-fashioned cinnamon imperials. It’s amazing to serve this with apple pie, or apple dumplings. I’ve been dying to try it on my oatmeal, and in a summer apple smoothie.

I’m always on the lookout for new ice cream ideas, so fill up that comment section and tell me what to try next. You there in the back, put down the keyboard though, I’m NOT making spinach ice cream!

Please make, rate, and review our recipe for Cinnamon Ice Cream.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Cindy Leigh

Sorry you were sick, MJ, and I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better!
    Cinnamon ice cream sounds wonderful. I have a coop, too, but for those who are squeamish, you can take the eggs and milk or cream or whatever and make an egg custard, refrigerate, and proceed when cool. I have found a really easy way to make ice cream is with a three egg custard (2 cups of milk ), a can of condensed,and a can of evap milk, all kept kn the refrig, prechilled. Add whatever flavorings and add ins as recommended in the icecream makers instructions.
    I’m definitely going to make your cinnamon ice cream- I’ve got company coming.
    Hi honey,
    Yes, I’m doing much better thanks. I hope you are feeling well too. Thanks for the tip on the ice cream base too, I’ll have to give it a try. ~ MaryJane

2. waikikirie

Glad to hear that you are feeling better MaryJane. I LOVE cinnamon. Will have to give this a try next time we have company or the DH and I will eat it all ourselves (in one sitting….oh boy)
    We’ve had this ice cream in so many different ways. I must say it is amazing in a banana peanut butter smoothie. Hope you like it! ~ MaryJane

3. "Paul from Ohio"

Ice Cream season has started a week ago. Will FOR SURE make this one. How about Orange Ice Cream? My grandmother used to make it with oranges picked right off their orange grove trees. I actually have that recipe and could share it. Gave it to Amy actually!

4. Kim

You should make blueberry cheesecake ice cream. It’s scrumptious! Cheesecake flavored ice cream, cooked blueberries, & cinnamon graham cracker crumbs all mixed together…does it get any better?

5. LucyLu24

Cinnamon Ice Cream looks fabulous! Wondering if there is any way I can make this without an ice cream maker? Also, because they will soon be in season, how about peach ice cream?

We have not tried other methods beyond using an electric ice cream maker, but a hand crank variety should work well. You could also certainly try adding fresh peach puree to the mixture or making peach sorbet works quite well.-Jon

6. waikikirie

OK MJ….Spill the “recipe” for the banana, peanutbutter smoothie….Never ‘knew’ you to be unkind….(teehee) It sounds delish to the, I don’t know, degree..
    Here’s what I use. 1 ripe banana, 1 cup of milk, 1 cup homemade yogurt (or ice cream when I’m being naughty), 2 tablespoons peanut butter, and 1/4 cup oats. It makes a lot, so I usually sip on it all day long, adding ice to keep it fresh. Sometimes I add 2 tablespoons of KAF hot cocoa mix too. Endless varitey! ~ MJ

7. Kimberly http://thoughtfulplate.wordpress.com

My gosh, can you share the brownie recipe as well? :)

Comfort foods always make us feel better. Take care!

Try our favorite brownie recipe, Kimberly – I think you’ll find them the perfect foil for cinnamon ice cream. PJH

8. Alli M.

Cinnamon ice cream is my favorite, too, though I make mine as an egg custard that way the eggs are cooked so that I don’t have to worry about my kids. My recipe uses 4 egg yolks and half and half and white sugar – I’ll have to try it with the brown sugar, I ADORE snickerdoodles…

I prefer a custard based ice cream myself, but frozen yogurt is definitely a lighter option!-Jon

9. milkwithknives

Have you ever tried buttermilk ice cream? The entire base is buttermilk (no whole milk or heavy cream) so it’s quite a bit lighter and tastes like cheesecake. Mmm. Now I wish my ice cream machine was in the freezer so I could go home and make some!
    Ohh, it has been on my list for awhile. I didn’t hear the cheesecake comparison though, so looks like a big jug of buttermilk is in my future. Ice cream and fried chicken! ~ MaryJane

10. deb in sc

I’m sure many people appreciate the fact that you have provided recipes for gluten sensitive folks. I would really appreciate it if you could do the same for lactose intolerant folks. My hubby is lactose intolerant, and although I’ve made a few ice creams for him, I would surely appreciate any tips on using LACTAID milk (or coconut or almond or whatever) and making something with a better mouth feel than ice milk. Any suggestions you might have, or recipes in the blog would be greatly appreciated.

I will certainly suggest this to our test kitchen! However, I have to mention that sorbets are a great option for a frozen, dairy free treat.-Jon

11. Jenny

Chai ice cream, please! I’ve been working on it for a couple of summers now but never get it quite right.
    I’ve been thinking about a Chai ice cream, with a tea base. I’ll bump it up a bit on the wish list. ;) ~ MaryJane

12. Christina

I can never find cinnamon ice cream in the store, thanks for the recipe! I bought some at our local Italian restaurant one evening, then got stuck in a horrible traffic jam on the way home. In August. Ah, well. The reason I look for it is because of a heavenly dessert I had once, years ago. It was a crisp, flaky, apple-filled, puff pastry thing topped with cinnamon ice cream, caramel sauce, and whipped cream. I still think about it sometimes…