50 ways to love our parchment

ParchmentEmail

Every culinary superhero needs a trusty sidekick. One that will go anywhere, do anything, to make the mission a success no matter the circumstance. Parchment is our trusty sidekick, in the kitchen and a few other places besides. How do we love thee? Let us count the ways….

1. Our parchment is flat (no wrestling with it on a roll).

rollflat

2. It’s heavyweight enough to use each sheet again and again.

3. Shape your pizza dough on it and transfer, parchment and all, to your baking stone.

4. Line your baking sheets before making cookies. Cleanup just got 10 times easier.Desktop-001

5. Line your 9″ x 13″ pan with parchment, and clip it to the edges (we use metal spring clips from the office supply store) before baking bar cookies or a cake. When done, you can lift out the whole batch in one motion, and cut them outside the pan (MUCH easier without that rim).

img_1247.JPG

6. Making a fancy braided sweet bread? Shape it on parchment, then move it easily to your baking sheet.

img_0701.JPG

7. Cut circles to line your cake pans. No more chunks of cake left in the pan when you turn the layers out.

rollplstic.jpg

8. Use a sheet under your pie dough when rolling. Makes transferring rolled dough to the pan so much easier.

papillotte

9. Fold around fish, herbs, and seasonings to cook “en papillote.”

10. Roll sugar cookie dough out on parchment, cut shapes, take away the excess, and transfer the parchment and cookies to your baking sheet without bending or distorting the shapes.

Rita H, Princeton, NJ:  “Makes life so much easier to not have to scrub sheet pans.

Karen, Sonora, California: “I buy this all the time. I use it for all my baking, caramel corn and also for oven baked potatoes and veggies. Would not be caught without it!”

Paul A, Plaistow, NH:It’s nice that I don’t have to play the ‘uncurl the parchment paper game’ anymore.”

postmeeting.jpg

11. Put your pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet; drips or overflow are contained and easy to clean.

roastveggies

12. Use on your baking sheet or roasting pan when roasting root vegetables.

13. Line baking sheets with parchment before pouring brittle or candy out for no-fuss cleanup.

20-begin-cone.JPG

14. Cut into triangles and form into cones for piping chocolate.

chixlayer15. Cut squares of parchment to layer between chicken breasts or hamburger patties before freezing.

16. Parchment is the perfect food-safe gift wrap. Use to line boxes or wrap treats.

17. Use a strip of parchment around your soufflé dishes to make a collar that supports the soufflé as it rises.

18. Make a great drawer liner; when it gets icky, just replace.

Scandinavian Blondies from the Cookie Companion, page page 19119. Use between layers to stack cookies for shipping.

fried chicken20. Use under oven-fried chicken for easy cleanup.

Cindy, Tucson: “Super product. Every kitchen ‘toolbox’ needs it.”

“This is a must have in the kitchen. We wouldn’t be without it.”

Eleanorgrace, KAF Community:
“Why did I hold out so long? The parchment sheets make baking a breeze. They can even be re-purposed to catch drips when icing cookies!”

img_0535.JPG

21. Indispensable when baking cheese-filled anything.

catchganache

22. When coating a cake with ganache, put it on a rack over a sheet of parchment. You can collect and re-use the chocolate that drips down.

23. Parchment works as an excellent craft mat. Use to line your work station when painting or decorating.

sugar.jpg

24. Using colored sugars, sprinkle away over your cookie dough. Parchment underneath means cleanup takes 5 seconds.

25. Use on top of fusible interfacing to keep the sole plate of your iron clean.

linescale26. Use a piece to line the top of your scale when weighing out ingredients. Less to clean!

dpnwhlparchmentroll.JPG

27. The perfect wrapper for rolling up cookie dough: slice and bake!

cutstencil

28. Sturdy enough to use for cutting a stencil to decorate with.

Our Apple-Cinnamon Bread makes great grlled cheese!29. Surround your sandwich with parchment before putting into your panini grill. Yes, the grill marks happen right through the paper. Cleanup is done before you begin!

braising id30. Cut to the diameter of your pan, or reach for one of our awesome parchment circles and use as an impromptu lid for braising or poaching.

Theresa, Texas:  “I started using this a few years ago and now that’s all I use. Great product.”

Terry, Westminster, MD: “This the best! I can’t believe I’ve baked this long without using it – will never be without it again!”

Caryn, New Jersey: “Can NOT be without these sheets; very useful in so many ways!!”

31. Cookies slide right off, so you can cool them on a rack and get right back to baking.

32. Shape your scone dough on parchment, cut into wedges, separate slightly, and transfer all securely to a baking sheet.

33. Brush those scones with milk and sprinkle with sparkling sugar, without worrying about washing the pan!

34. Excellent landing spot for dipped chocolate. Cooled candies or cookies lift right off.

RusticPeachTartC14M

35. Roll out a galette dough, fill with fruit, bake away. Your finished tart won’t stick.

likenew

36. Keeps your baking sheet looking new.

37. Use to wrap loaves of quick bread for gifts.

38. Perfect for wrapping sticky candies like caramels.

39. Trace measurements for piping éclairs (or dacquoise) on one side, flip over, and pipe inside the lines for uniform results.

IMG_1990

40. Pipe royal icing or chocolate designs on parchment, then peel right off when set.

Melissa, Albuquerque: “Love this paper! I use it nearly every day.”

Donna Carey, Williamsport, PA:  “Such a time-saver, not having to cut from rolls of parchment. And to be able to use it for multiple batches is great. Sorry it took me so long in my baking career to discover this because I bake a LOT of cookies!”

Ziggyb, upstate NY:  “I have never used parchment paper as I thought it would burn. Love this stuff and its reusable! Highly recommend.”

41. Line jelly roll pans with parchment; use it to help you roll up the warm cake without tearing it.

42. We use parchment to label different versions of items in the test kitchen, so we can bake them side by side.

43. Don’t bake biscotti without it! The uncut log releases easily so you can slice it into cookies, and the parchment is waiting on the pan to catch the crumbs from the second bake.

Apple Pie-fold

44. Dump your almost-mixed pie dough on a sheet of parchment. Spritz with water as needed, and use the parchment to fold the dough over to make lovely, tender layers.

img_2731

45. Line a baking sheet with parchment and scoop cookies onto it, almost touching each other. Freeze the cookies on the sheet; once firm, you can take them off the parchment with no trouble and store them in a zip-top bag.

buttered crispy treat46. A buttered sheet of parchment is the perfect helper when trying to press sticky marshmallow-coated cereal into a 9″ x 13″ pan.

linecakeplate.jpg

47. Cut strips of parchment to put under your cake layers as they sit on a serving plate. Frost the cake, then remove the parchment. Voila. Perfect cake, clean plate.

Search results for swirl48. Line loaf pans with parchment when baking a swirl bread with filling that can ooze out. They’ll lift right out without sticking.

49. Line pans with parchment, sprinkle with semolina, and use as a bed for drying nests of fresh pasta.

50. Roll out cracker dough between two sheets of parchment. Sprinkle the dough with salt or seeds, put the top piece of parchment back on, and roll over lightly to embed them in the dough before baking.

Over a thousand people have already told us how much they love our favorite baking sidekick.  We’re sure you have even more ways to love the stuff than we (and they) have listed here. Your turn!

Susan Reid

Susan Reid grew up in New Jersey, graduated from Bates College and the Culinary Institute of America, and is presently enjoying her fourth career after stints in advertising, running restaurants, and teaching at the New England Culinary Institute. She joined King Arthur in 2002 to ...

comments

1. gaa

I have been baking for many years and KAF parchment sheets have been a standard in my kitchen. I don’t bake without it. The uses for parchment are endless. I agree with everything you listed. Here’s another – shape artisan breads with a high water content, such as ciabatta, directly on parchment and let them rise. Transfer the risen loaves on the parchment to your baking stone using your bakers peel. Perfetly shaped and risen loaves slide right onto the stone for lovely golden loaves. Easy! I also use older sheets of parchment to line my pans when I bake my bacon (thanks for that post PJ!). Needless to say, parchment (and my Thermapen) are my go-to baking tools!
    How right you are; very wet doughs are hard to move around, and our buddy parchment is a can’t-live-without assistant! Susan

1. nostalgia93

Love using parchment paper…I use to buy parchment on a roll at my local grocer, but found it sort of on the expensive side, plus it always drove me crazy, because it comes on a roll, ( can’t flatten it out easy). Since I purchased K.A.F. parchment papers by the 100′s, which it comes in flat sheet form, I am so much happier for both less cost and lay flat sheets, making my baking so much easier! Never will I buy rolled parchment again!
      HAPPY BAKING! <3

2. Susan Reid , post author

There are some kitchen friends that do so much and ask for so little, you wonder how you ever got along without. Our parchment is definitely one of those. Susan

2. Catherine

I have K. F. parchment in every shape. I will never buy the rolled parchment again! I put it between layers of cookies that I send to friends & between hamburgers that I freeze. I bake a lot & I would be lost without it.

3. Maureen

I just heard of another FABULOUS use for parchment paper! If you have a glass-topped stove (like an electric range or an induction burner), use a piece of parchment paper between the glass top and your pots and pans–even cast iron cookware. It stops the pot or pan bottom from scratching the glass top and generating a costly repair, and will not burn. You can even shake the pan if you need to without worrying about your glass top stove. (Obviously, you do NOT use it if you have an open-flame gas stove!)
    Wow, I wouldn’t have thought of that one. Although it makes perfect sense for an induction stove! Susan

1. waikikirie

Holy cow!! Really??? Have you tried this yourself? I’d been interested to know it anyone has

2. Patty

Brilliant! When I use my cast iron skillets, I’m always concerned about scratching the cook top.
      Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for following! We’re so glad you found this post helpful and happy baking to you! Jocelyn@KAF

4. Emily Tarr

One of my favorite products EVER! Love the 50 reasons. I use it often for non cooking related uses too. Thank y KAF.

5. Debi

what gives parchment the easy release? How is the paper treated? Why is some white(yours) and others are brown?

Thanks for the info.

1. Susan Reid , post author

The parchment is coated with a vegetable-based silicone, the source of it’s release qualities as well as a bit of a heat insulator.
      Ours is white because the paper it’s made from is bleached; brown parchment is unbleached (same as in paper towels: some are white, some are not). Susan

6. FRANS

I HAVE AN AREA BEHIND MY COOK TOP THAT IS A LITTLE HARD TO REACH AND HARD TO CLEAN SO I LINE IT WITH PARCHMENT PAPER AND WHEN IT IS DIRTY I JUST LIFT IT UP AND REPLACE IT! I ALSO USE PARCHMENT FOR SEWING PATTERNS AND FOR QUILTING. I NEVER BAKE WITHOUT IT.

7. linda_utah

We have soy allergies in our family.

“vegetable-based silicone” – is there any soy used in the manufacture of this product. If so, does the soy release onto the baked goods?

Great ideas. I will definitely use them.

1. Susan Reid , post author

Linda, just got the word: no soy in the vegetable-based silicone used on the parchment! Susan

2. Nancy Good

I have a corn allergy and I have the same question on related to corn, is there corn oil in the coating? I love the parchment and hope the answer is no!

Nancy

8. Diane S.

I thought I was pretty parchment-savvy, but a few of your tips surprised me – especially using parchment on a panini grill!

1. Susan Reid , post author

Diane, I think that one was my favorite of all the things I photographed. Grilled cheese with no mess, woo hoo! Susan

2. Susan Reid , post author

Although I can certainly applaud the impulse, our paper is thick enough that you’d lose any indentations that make a waffle a waffle, so in this case, we have to reluctantly admit that the stuff has some limitations. :-) Susan

3. Evey's Mia

I, too, love the panini press idea. I love to use my press but detest the clean-up so much that I don’t bring it out often. Problem solved.

9. Roberta Kenney

I also use it to line my pan when baking meatloaf. As in all the above 50 uses , it makes cleanup so much easier. I love the idea of freeze and bake it will make doing any cookies ahead a tint saver.

10. Ali

All great ideas :) I’m saving up to do a big order in a month or to for KAF and these are going on my list :) I had no idea they didn’t roll up on the edges, that is awesome!

1. Susan Reid , post author

You’ll find that when you’re toward the end of your generous stack of parchment sheets you start to get a little…anxious. It’s that hard to love without! Susan

11. Sally

I cooked and baked for years but didn’t even hear of this until few years ago. Once I started to use it I wondered why I hadn’t used it before. Seems my Mom used waxed paper in the kitchen for some things but this goes way beyond that. I ran out once and rushed to the store and bought the brown stuff on a roll. Talk about frustration, that stuff is horrible. I’m low on parchment now so will be stocking up. Thanks for all the ideas, some I wondered how I missed the opportunity to use. I’m teaching my neighbors granddaughter to bake a little and this will be the first thing I’d like her to learn.

Thank You for all your Ideas.

1. Susan Reid , post author

You’re entirely welcome, Sally. It’s really one of the most versatile things to know about in the kitchen. Susan

2. Kirsten

and what a beautiful thing you’re doing, taking a neighbor’s grandchild under your wing and teaching her to bake! the world needs more mentor-angels like you. she will remember and thank you forever!

12. Ruth

I bake bread on it on top of an old cookie sheet. It bakes beautifully, with a gorgeous bottom crust. And I use it over and over until it literally falls apart, and then sometimes, I sput all the pieces somehow together and use it one more time.

Baking meatballs on it really helps with the messy cleanup.

Best baking product around, except of course, for your flours.

13. cjsmama

Love your parchment and have been using it for years! I definitely get anxious when I’m getting low on it. I use it on anything that can potentially make a mess either when prepping or baking.

Can you please provide a link for the recipe for the bar cookies above tip #19 and a recipe for the rolls above tip #21? Thanks!

14. Kathleen Guy

I have always used small squares of parchment paper under Chinese dumplings or other Dim Sum in my bamboo steamers.

15. Lynette

Just this morning a friend of mine who also has a glass induction cook top; emailed me a hint to place a large sheet of parchment paper on the cook top before placing the cooking pan on the burner….especially when frying, which makes a hard to clean mess of the cook top. She says there’s no clean up and you can reuse the parchment paper several times!

16. Annie

Love this stuff!! AND especially the panini idea – smart! I was wondering about how many times can a sheet be reused?

1. Susan Reid , post author

That depends on a few things: what are you baking on it? Sugar cookies, probably 10 times. Chocolate chip cookies, with little pools left behind, not so much. Also on how high a temperature you’re working with. 350°F will get you more uses than 450°F. You get the picture. Susan

1. Susan Reid , post author

Again, it depends on how much of the paper is covered by the fish, and how far away from the broiler it is. One piece of fish on a sheet pan 2 inches away from the heating element isn’t a great idea. A whole panful, 3 to 4 inches away and watched carefully, would work fine. Susan

17. sallyeyring

Did you know that parchment can be washed? Just make it totally wet with warm water, put on a little bit if dish washing soap, and use your hands to squish it around – it gets really soft so you can scrub any residue out. Rinse and hang up to dry. It drys really fast and is ready to used again.

And, you can store cheese in parchment. Wrap up the cheese in a piece, put it in a plastic bag or straight into the fridge, and no more spoiled cheese!

1. Susan Reid , post author

Wow, Sally, you are truly industrious! I guess I’d better get a bigger closeline! Susan

18. Carol

Can you use it to line a 9 x 13 pan when baking a boxed cake mix, or will the batter “seep” under the parchment paper? Do you line all 4 sides of the pan, or just the long sides? Some of your pictures look like all 4 sides are lined, some just 2. Finally, I assume you don’t have to “grease and flour” the paper, right? I love the hint using the metal clips to secure the sides! Thanks so much!

1. Susan Reid , post author

Hi, Carol. The way we usually go about it is to spray the pan, line it with parchment, and clip it. Usually for a 9 x 13 we’ll just turn a sheet sideways, leaving the ends uncovered. For a swirl loaf that may ooze some goopiness, particularly if we’re baking for photography, we may take the extra step of lining all 4 sides. Usually up one side and down the other is enough. It’s always a good idea to run a thin blade across the uncovered ends to make sure it’s free before lifting up the sling. Susan

19. Virginia

Love my parchment paper! I had always used the roll until I ordered my first pre-cut parchment from KAF. Thought it was a splurge purchase and discovered it was a never-before-realized necessity!
    By the way, in photo #20 using the parchment for fried chicken—what are those yummy chicken bites? The coating looks delish! Is that a KAF appetizer recipe? Share please?

1. Susan Reid , post author

That would be me using up the bits of chicken that I photographed for #15 for a snack. Take chicken breast chunks, soak in 2 cups of buttermilk with 1 teaspoon each onion powder, salt, and poultry spice, dashes of pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Soak for at least 1 hour and up to 12.
      Drain the chunks and dredge in seasoned flour with some thyme and parsley in it. Two options from here. Fry until golden brown in 1/2″ of oil, and put on a rack over parchment; bake for 10 minutes more at 350°. Any extra oil will drip off and you’ll have lovely crispy chicken.
      If you don’t want to fry it, you can spray the rack, put the floured chicken on it, then spray it generously with more oil. Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes, until golden brown. Or if you have a convection oven, use that, and it will take 5 minutes less and be a bit more crispy. Susan

20. Eileen

Great article & comments with useful tips- thanks! Something I’d love to learn more about: how folks store the used pieces so they’re ready for another bake? Currently we folks them & store in a drawer, but getting the right one out and working around the extra folds is tough. Lack of a good system really hampers my re-use. Any suggestions?

1. Susan Reid , post author

We leave them right on the baking sheets in the test kitchen; sometimes stacked between them so they stay flat, but we have a couple of rolling racks where it all lives, so that might not be practical. At home I keep parchment sheets in that little bit of space underneath the microwave on the counter, and also on top of the refrigerator; both flat open spaces that aren’t doing much else that’s constructive. Susan

21. biobaker

One more: when freezing fruit (halved cherries, whole raspberries, sliced peaches) on a baking sheet — before transferring to a freezer bag, so that individual pieces are separate rather than fighting with one giant block of fruit — line the baking sheet with parchment. The fruit will release MUCH more easily, and you don’t risk freezing your fingers to the cold metal during the transfer!

22. Karen Terry

SO how often can they be reused? Do you wipe them off? If oil on roasted veges, doesn’t the sheet get rancid if stored and reused again?

1. Susan Reid , post author

Karen: there are some things we just don’t go after for multi-use. Barbecue sauce would be one. Some people do wash off the sheets. If I roasted veggies first and had meatloaf to make the same meal, I’d reuse the sheet, otherwise some times you have to decide how far you’re willing to go to get the most out of each sheet. Susan

23. Susan Champney

I just bought some the tulip papers for muffin tins. Is there a way to make them from my own parchment paper?

1. Susan Reid , post author

That one feels like a long shot to me, Susan. You’d need a cylindrical form that’s just the diameter of the bottom of your muffin tin and a lighter weight paper. If you really want to try it I’d suggest getting a package of our parchment squares and going from there. Susan

2. Xiaolu @6bittersweets

The Webstaurant store sells those cups at a good price if you’re willing to buy a LOT at once 8).

24. waikikirie

LOVE parchment paper. I got a KA gift card for Christmas. Might splurge and get the round one, along with the large sheets. I too get anxious when I start running low. May get another package of large sheets and get them as a gift.

1. Susan Reid , post author

It makes a great gift, that’s for sure. It’s nice to know that your recipient will think of you whenever they use it! Susan

25. Beverly Wilson

I have used rolled parchment for years, but will certainly try your parchment sheets. Love the clip idea! Thanks!

26. Linda Pulaski

What a great collection of ideas! If you have a round baking dish and a square piece of parchment you can fold opposite corners of parchment diagonally towards each other to form a triangle. Repeat folding to keep the triangle long but narrower each fold, 4 or 5 times. The point can be held at center bottom of round baking dish to measure outside edge and mark with pencil where to trim with a scissor. a remarkably good fit will result. Once lightly coated with cooking spray the folds settle down well.

1. Susan Reid , post author

Exactly, Linda. The process is very like making those snowflakes we did in kindergarten! Susan

27. bakinggram

Wow – all those ideas are just wonderful. I am wondering, since using it on a panini grill for sandwiches for easy cleanup, could you use it on a George Forman grill for chicken and meats? Clean up would be really super if so.

I was also surprised about putting it under frying and saucepans on glasstop. Has anyone really done this? I would be afraid of it catching fire.

Thanks

1. Susan Reid , post author

Carol; I think the Forman grill would be fine. As for the stovetop, I think it’s important to note that an infrared stovetop would likely be a bad idea. Induction, however, is fine. Induction works by creating a magnetic field and the heat its’ surface doesn’t get nearly as hot. Susan

28. sharonmp5586

Been using this for years, I wipe the parchment off with a paper towel after baking and store it between my plastic cutting mats. I used to throw it away after one use, but saw a tip on one of KAF blogs and have been reusing it ever since. There are a few tips here that I will be using. Thanks.

29. Phoebe

Wow! I am new to K.A. parchment paper and can hardly wait to get some. Have you thought of printing your tips on a leaflet to enclose with each box of parchment paper? Perhaps you already do this. It would certainly inspire cooks of all kinds and probably lead to even increased sales of parchment paper!! But perhaps this is an impossible increase in the manufacturing process. At the very least it could be enclosed with each box shipped to customers.

1. Susan Reid , post author

Phoebe, this particular blog post was born of just that idea; I wrote the 50 ti;ps as an idea for an insert, then we realized we’d reach way more people through the blog. It might still happen. The blog has the advantage of always being available, and much less likely to be inadvertently put in the trash or recycling bin! Susan

30. TrishaZ

Most of the tips you listed I have been using for several years since I discovered your parchment. There is a definite difference between yours and the stuff on a roll you get in the store. Several of the tips I always used wax paper for in the past but am now using your parchment paper. The panini idea is new and I can’t wait to try it. Thank you to all who commented, what a wealth of ideas; never thought of using it for craft projects or sewing patterns, duh!

31. Deb

I’ve always enjoyed pineapple upside down cake. My topping design remains intact when I peel off the parchment paper every time!

1. Susan Reid , post author

Excellent thought, Deb! I’ve often called parchment the “seatbelt of baking”. You may get away without it, but you’ll never regret having used it. Susan

32. Margy

Susan 1 and Susan 2 :-)
    I have used parchment to line muffin tins when I ran out of paper liners. Take a square of parchment (I usually get 6 out of one sheet), place it over the top of the muffin cup, and push down with a bottle or something approximately the same size as the cup bottom (I use a spice bottle or the wide end of my tart tamper). Press the pleats down with your fingers. It will have a tendency to want to pop out, but once the batter goes in it stays put. Not as pretty as KAFs tulip paper muffins liners, but a good approximation.
    PARCHMENT PAPER ROCKS!!! :-D

33. Margy

Also, when I want to fully line a 13×9″ pan, I take a sheet, cut into the corners about 2-3 inches toward the center, then fit into the pan letting the cut edges of the corners overlap. It helps to use a little non-stick spray on the pan to help it adhere (non-stick spray to make something stick–an oxymoron if ever there was one! XD)

34. Jeanne Humphrey

Brilliant tips for using parchment! Thank you so much. In my kitchen I have almost everything King Arthur Flour sells and baking at my house is fun because of tips like these from your experts. Your tips are getting me into the kitchen on this snowy day to try them out. I have so much parchment on my baking center shelves and it is my definite “go to” tool for baking for sure. I can’t believe I haven’t tried it for rolling pie crusts yet. Keep the education coming KAF!

35. Linda Blankenheim

Fabulous article!! I have the roll parchment, and now I understand the difference and why I was not too keen on using parchment paper before. I am so glad I read this post. I generally don’t, as I am gluten free, and in the past almost all the articles were NOT gluten free. I felt like it was wasting my time and frustrating to read about wonderful cakes, cookies, etc. when I couldn’t have the delicious food I was reading about. This article is terrific!! Glad I opened the email. I also saw that you have many more gluten free recipes. THANK YOU!! Your recipes always sound terrific, and now maybe I will not get so frustrated.

We are developing new recipes all the time so we are glad you checked again! If you have any special requests, let us know! Elisabeth@KAF

36. blycox31

The photo of the almond cookies with tip #19 have my mouth watering. I don’t see a recipe for them on the KA website. Is it there? If not, can you share it?

1. Susan Reid , post author

The recipe is from our Cookie Companion cookbook page 191, for Scandinavian Blondies. They’re actually quite simple.
      Preheat the oven to 325°F.
      Grease (and line with parchment!) an 8″ square pan
      2 large eggs
      1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon almond or lemon extract
      1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
      1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
      1/2 cup (2 ounces) sliced almonds
      Beat the eggs well, until light colored and thick. Add the sugar and salt, continuing to beat until shiny and pale yellow. Add the extract, melted butter, and 1/2 cup of the flour, folding it in gently. Fold in the remaining flour.
      Pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with the nuts, if using. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the edges just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and they’re a very light golden color. Remove from the oven and cool before cutting.

37. lennycubfan

I love KAF parchment sheets, I’ve been using it for several years now. However, there are 51 uses for it. Here is number 51. When you need to cover a baking dish with aluminum foil and you prefer not to have food come into contact with the foil (especially with dishes that have an acid in them, like tomato, vinegar etc) put a sheet of parchment underneath the foil.

1. Susan Reid , post author

Most of the time we’d just skip the foil altogether, and bake right on the parchment. I guess it depends if you can stand cleaning the baking sheet around the edges or not. And I’m pretty sure there are as many ways to use parchment as there are people who use it :-) Susan

38. Deb

Another way to store sheets of parchment paper is to buy some magnetic bulldog clamps and hang/store them on the side of the refridgerator.

39. Love to bake

Thanks for these parchment tips. I have rarely used it because the rolled stuff is hard to handle. I will be ordering some of yours ASAP to try these great hints!

40. Karen

I put parchment paper under my paint can when I’m doing touch ups around the house. I’ve also used it as impromptu “stepping stones” when we’ve had messy-boot projects and are stomping in and out of the house. You can also leave your messy shoes/boots outside on parchment to freeze so you can break the muck off, and the shoes peel right off the parchment and don’t stain the deck.

I line my stewed chicken pot with parchment. I also line some of my refrigerator shelves with it for easy clean up. I can wipe them off and put them back, and seldom have to remove the shelves.

1. Susan Reid , post author

Ohhhh, Karen, the paint idea and the messy-boots are GREAT! I think there will be some sheets showing up in my refrigerator after the next deep clean. Thanks for some awesome ideas. Susan

41. ccnucker

I just saw the comment about using it on a waffle iron. My mother is breaking in new lowers, and doesn’t like the deep indentations, which get too crispy. I’m going to try my KAF circular parchment paper tomorrow morning! Thank you for the idea!

42. bluelupine

I meant to order some round parchment when you had free shipping the other day and I completely forgot to! Dang! Anyway, I ordered the flat sheets at Christmas and love them! I store the used ones (wiped off if need be) in the drawer beneath the oven.

43. Lyna

I store my used parchment by rolling them gently, slide into a plastic newspaper bag, then stick it in a corner of the freezer. No worries about stale grease next time.

44. John

I saw that you used parchment paper with a pizza to slide it off the pizza peel. I liked the idea, but I am concerned about burning the parchment paper, which I have done making pizza. What is the highest temperature that you can use parchment paper? Some pizza ovens reach temperatures between 800 and 900 degrees. I have made pizza in Dutch ovens while camping, and hard wood coals can easily reach 800 degrees. This is why I am wondering how you made it work with pizza.
    Thanks for your response.

1. PJ Hamel

We generally don’t bake our pizzas over 475°F, and the parchment holds up fine at that temperature; it darkens, but doesn’t actually burn. Its maximum suggested usage temp. is 500°F, so I wouldn’t go above that. If you’re baking in an 800°F-900°F oven or over coals, then you’d best just slide the pizza right onto the oven floor or into the Dutch oven, without using parchment. Good luck – PJH

45. Joyce

Love using parchment, but wish you still had the full sheets. Used one full sheet to cover counter, now I have to use two. Less bang for my buck.

Hi Joyce, we do still offer a roll of parchment. That might work well for you. I will pass along to the team that you do miss the full sheets.~Jaydl@KAF

46. Gail

Doggie Treats: I line a cookie sheet with the parchment, then place tablespoon-sized scoops of canned organic pumpkin (NOT pie filling) on it. Like you would for drop cookies. Place in freezer.
    When frozen, remove each treat and place in a zip-top style baggie or other container and store in freezer. Your dog can consume this healthy treat frozen or thawed in his dish. Excellent nutrition for our best friend.

47. Suzi

When our apple tree gets heavy with sun-dosed apples, I pack each apple in a square of parchment and nestle them closely in a shallow box for gifting or storing in a cool spot for the next pies. The parchment avoids “transference” & keeps the apples at their prime.

48. hollace henry

I always use parchment ,but never thought of it as drawer liner. Perfect.

My favorite is for wrapping cheese. just before wrapping it in foil or cling wrap.

It traps the moisture that causes mold on large Parm wedges that are pricey, and keeps higher mosture cheese like cheddar from sweating.

Thanks for tips.

1. Anita T.

Thanks so much for this cheese tip. Just bo’t a wedge of expensive cheese & always get disgusted when I reach for it & find it moldy. Will wrap in parchment after I open it……Enjoyed all the other tips.

1. PJ Hamel

Erin, neither parchment nor waxed paper has a “wrong” side. Nor does foil – unless you choose non-stick foil, which does have a “right” and “wrong” side. Not sure what you’re referring to with “beds” – clarify, please? PJH

49. Emily Leiker

I use parchment for practically everything! I use it to line my pantry shelves under things like honey, molasses and corn syrup so I don’t have to worry about cleaning up any messes. I line the shelves in my fridge and I have lined counter tops and my re-purposed utility cabinet with it so any food I put on those spots are still fresh in keeping with food safety guidelines. I never thought about the idea for the rice krispies treats so come Christmas time when I want to make them it’ll be much easier than the wax paper version. I also never knew that they could be reused as many times as you stated, I usually reuse them when baking cookies (up to 9 or 10 times) but I never thought to use them again after roasted veggies for meat loaf or poultry even. Thanks for all the great ideas and I’m excited about the new ones and I will be trying them soon!

1. Susan Reid , post author

As you well know, Em, once you start using it, you’ll never go back. Thanks for all the great ideas! Susan

There really are an infinite number of ways to use a piece of parchment, and it is certainly a tool I can not be without! So glad you learned of yet another wonderful use and happy holiday baking! Jocelyn@KAF