1) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or grease lightly.
2) Combine the flour, baking soda, spices, salt, and cocoa.
3) In a separate bowl, beat the butter with the sugar until light and creamy.
4) Add the molasses and beat until combined.
5) Beat in the dry ingredients, then stir in the chips.
6) Scoop the dough a tablespoon at a time; a tablespoon cookie scoop works well here. Roll the top portion of each dough ball in pearl sugar.
7) Place the unbaked cookies 1 1/2" apart, sugar side up, onto the prepared baking sheets.
8) Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, until their surface begins to crack. Remove from the oven, cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to a rack to cool completely.
Yield: 30 to 32 cookies.