1) Put the bread in a fairly shallow, single-serving, microwave-safe bowl.
2) Whisk together the egg, milk, vanilla, and sugar. Pour over the bread in the bowl, stirring gently to combine.
3) Stir in chips or dried fruit. And/or sprinkle with cinnamon, cinnamon-sugar, or nutmeg.
4) Microwave for 1 minute, uncovered. Check and see if it's still liquid. If it is, microwave in 30-second bursts, till pudding is cooked all the way to the center; the very center can still look a bit uncooked, but it shouldn't be liquid.
5) Remove from the microwave. If desired, drizzle with maple syrup or melted caramel or fudge sauce or... Serve warm; whipped cream or ice cream are always welcome.
Yield: one large or two smaller servings.