Baked zucchini sticks and sweet onion dip: that bloomin' zucchini!

baked zucchini sticks

Today, class, it being late July and all, we’re going to examine our zucchini facts:

•Zucchini is always at the end of any A-to-Z food list;
•Zucchini and fruitcake are the undeserving targets of many a joke;
•The zucchini plant literally grows like a weed, making it absolutely ubiquitous in vegetable gardens across America;
•And for that reason, enterprising cooks have discovered ways to turn it into muffins, and cake, and pancakes, and…

Baked Zucchini Sticks.

You know that onion appetizer that came into bloom back in the late ’80s? Outback Steakhouse claims it invented the “Bloomin’ Onion” back in 1988, and it wasn’t long before quasi-fast food restaurants adopted it as the hottest appetizer since artichoke dip baked in a bread bowl.

These zucchini sticks, with their melty-soft interior and crisp crust, are reminiscent of those onions – and equally addictive, especially when served with their special onion-mustard dip.

Ready to go beyond muffins, bread, kebabs, and frittata? Let’s try these crispy baked zucchini sticks.

First, find yourself 3 medium-size zucchini, about 9″ to 10″ long.

That won’t be hard at this time of the year, right? Don’t be tempted to use those baseball-bat-sized zucchini hiding under the leaves in your garden, though; you want small, slim zucchini here.

Cut each zucchini into 3″ sticks about the diameter of your finger. Cutting each zuke into 9 sticks lengthwise, then cutting into 3″ lengths, works well.

Place the zucchini sticks in a colander over a bowl, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of salt. Let them drain for 1 hour or longer.

While the zucchini are shedding their excess liquid, make the dip.

First, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium-sized frying pan over moderate heat, and add 1 medium sweet onion (about 1/2 pound), sliced.

Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, then caramelizes. This should take between 20 and 25 minutes, at medium-low heat. The lower the heat, the longer it takes, but the less likely you are to burn the onions.

When the onions are medium brown, remove them from the heat.

Place the following in a small food processor or blender:

all of the caramelized onions
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Process until fairly smooth.

Remove from the processor, and stir in 1 cup mayonnaise.

The resulting 1 1/2 cups dip can be used not only for these zucchini sticks, but as a tasty sandwich condiment.

Note that I’ve purposely not added any salt to the dip. I find that the zucchini sticks themselves, with the salt you added to drain them and the addition of Pizza Seasoning, are plenty salty. If you plan on using this dip for another purpose, you might want to add 1/4 teaspoon salt.

OK, back to the zucchini. See how they’ve started giving up liquid?

Rinse them thoroughly; you want to get rid of any excess salt. Then pat them dry.

Next up: the bread and cheese coating. But first, preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment, and spray the parchment with olive oil.

Combine the following:

1 cup Panko bread crumbs
scant 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon Pizza Seasoning or mixed Italian herbs

Mix until thoroughly combined.

Beat 2 large eggs; or pour 1/2 cup egg substitute into a dish. You’re going to dip each zucchini stick in the egg…

…then roll it in the crumbs.

Warning! Warning! Do as I say, not as I did here.

I figured, heck, just lay ‘em all in the crumbs and toss ‘em around, right? Never mind this coating one-by-one stuff…

WRONG.

About midway through, the crumbs had gotten so much egg splashed onto them they were sticking together in a solid mass. So I had to add a lot more Panko, and that still didn’t really help.

Trust me, these will look a lot nicer if you take the time to dip-and-roll one by one. Maybe you could divvy up the egg and crumbs, and get one of the kids to help you…

My fellow baker, Susan Reid, is editor of our print newsletter, The Baking Sheet, in which this recipe first appeared. She says, “There’s a basic restaurant tenet about  breading: ‘One hand wet, one hand dry.’ It makes the difference between getting through them all in one go, or having your hands end up looking like catcher’s mitts.”

She adds, “If you happen to have a convection oven, this is the ideal sort of recipe to put the fan to work. Faster, more even browning.”

Thanks, Susan!

Place the sticks on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake the sticks for about 12 minutes, until they’re starting to brown. Remove from the oven, and turn them over; you may actually need to do this one by one, or you may be able to turn several at a time using a spatula. Bake for an additional 12 to 16 minutes or so, until golden brown and crisp.

These baking times don’t match those in the recipe; I realize that. Bottom line, bake until the sticks are a speckled golden brown…

…like this.

Now, put the sticks on a plate, the dip in a nice bowl…

…and dig in! With guests, of course.

Any leftover sticks can be wrapped and stored in the fridge. Reheat at 350°F for about 10 to 15 minutes, if desired.

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Baked Zucchini Sticks with Sweet Onion Dip.

comments

1. celesteu

Point of clarification: Outback didn’t invent the Onion Mum…it dates at least to the early/mid 80s at Russell’s Marina Grill first (8555 Pontchartrain Blvd, New Orleans, LA). Early Outback menu copy actually credited Russell’s.
    Thanks for sharing. It’s easy to believe such a treat came from NOLA! ~ MaryJane

These days Outback claims they invented them – maybe they just lay claim to the “blooming onion”? At any rate, provenance aside – I’m glad SOMEONE invented that decadent treat! :) PJH

2. "Joni M from St. Louis"

Whoa, this sounds like a delicious way to get those veggies into folks when otherwise zucchini gets a turned up nose other than in zucchini bread. A neighbor brought us over some fried zucchini one time and ick–all that grease floating on the plate totally turned us off of fried zucchini but this might bring us back! Oh my, my mouth is watering for these with that awesome sounding sauce…
    We hope you give it a try! Panko really does do wonders for that amazing crunch. ~Jessica

3. Kim

I made these a few weeks ago for my parents and we thought they were wonderful! They’re good without dip, too. I second the too-much-egg-in-the-coating problem. Been there, done that, learned my lesson. After a while, it wouldn’t stick to the sticks. I was thinking it might be easiest to just sprinkle it on. They’re definitely worth the hassle to make!

I think that might be a good idea, Kim – they’re kind of a pain to coat, and kind of a pain to turn. If you just put them on the baking sheet, and sprinkled heavily with the crumbs, then hopefully they’d be sufficiently coated AND you wouldn’t have to turn them over, since there wouldn’t be any coating on the bottom. I’m definitely trying it this way next time – thanks! PJH

4. KAF_Keri

I wonder if shiskabobbing them on a skewer would help at all? You could hold the stick over the bowl of bread crumbs and rotate it as you sprinkle the Panko! It would also make them easier to move around and serve!
    Great idea! Make sure to soak them in some water for about an hour before baking if they’re wooden so they don’t get too hot, and it could definitely work! Thanks Keri. ~Jessica

5. Smriti

So glad you posted this recipe and so many others that use zucchini! With my CSA food box overflowing with zucchini and squash I’ve been hunting around for recipes that use them in different way!

6. amgbooth

I will definitely give this recipe a try. Right now candy onions are in our farm markets. Would those be good to use for the dip? I recently had fried zucchini and mushrooms at a Red Robin restaurant and they served it with Sweet Hot Thai Chile dipping sauce. It was a different take on the usual ranch or honey mustard dips and very good.
    Those would be great to use, if you don’t mind it being on the sweet side! I love the fried veggie idea going on at restaurants these days, especially when paired with awesome dipping sauces like that. I’m a sucker for Sweet Chile anything! ~Jessica

7. deniseebr

These look so yummy! I have a couple of zucchini that I need to use up (with more coming!) and this perfect! I did have one question. What type of mustard did you use for your dip? I couldn’t tell if it was a dijon mustard or possibly a course-grain??? In any case, both are making me very hungry right now!!

Denise, I can’t remember what mustard I used – just grabbed it out of the test kitchen fridge. But I suspect it may have been Gulden’s spicy honey mustard, or Grey Poupon, since that’s what’s usually in there. PJH

8. Nanciew

Thanks so much for posting this. I’ve been swimming in zucchini and have been trying to keep how I use it varied to keep the family from revolting on me. This looks good!
    Hope you and the fam enjoy it! :) ~Jessica

9. Brenda

Would it work to dredge them in corn starch, then egg, then panko; maybe it would adhere better?

Worth a try – the cornstarch might absorb the egg a bit so it didn’t just seep into the crumbs? Let us know how it works out, Brenda. PJH

10. SoupAddict Karen

Are you kidding me with that onion dip? I am *dying* here, dreaming of my Candy onions, that are just about ready to pull. This has to be the most delicious thing I’ve seen all week. Muuahh!
    Nice! Just in time, Karen. Enjoy! ~Jessica

11. wendyb964

The coating is similar to one I’ve used for poultry forever: panko/chopped garlic/parmesan cheese/pepper/parsley. I usually dip the pieces in a combo of coarse-grain or interesting mustard, EVOO, mayo, egg, or whatever I have around. I’ll try yours as well as the sweet onion dip. Question: do they ever get crispy? Zucchini sticks and sweet potato oven fries always seem to be rather limp aside from the coating. Oh, and if I were to sprinkle the crumbs over the prepared zucchini, I’d probably save all the crumbs after baking, freeze them, add stuff as needed, and use to top a casserole. Thanks for the always yummy recipe(s).
    They should crisp up for you, but there are some things you can do to ensure that they will be more crispy. You can cut the sticks thinner, drain them a little longer to omit as much moisture as possible, and you can bake them a little longer if you’d like. I hope this is helpful. ~Amy

12. Nanciew

Tried these last night and they were a definite hit, even with my family who has been eating zucchini almost continually this summer. I realized after I’d grated the Parmesan that it might have been better if I had grated it just a little smaller; I’ll do that next time. I think that would improve their sticking to the zucchini. Didn’t really matter though because they tasted great and the dip was a perfect match.

13. Hazeyboo

Zuchinni comes last in an American cook book – well towards the front as courgettes here in the UK. I’m learning lots of American English by following your baking tips!

14. mumpy

i’ve made these several times since the recipe first showed up in the ‘baking sheet’ and we love them…love the dip too!…we found them a bit too salty, so i cut back on the salt a bit – we’ve been on a low-salt diet for years, so that may just be our preference.
    hubby discovered that you can make them in round slices too….my fault, since, when he offered to help, i just said ‘slice the zucchini’ thinking he would know how since he knew what we were making…the rounds tasted great too, so he was forgiven…especially since i found the rounds easier to turn than the sticks!
    i haven’t tried cornstarch, but last time i made them, i shook the slices in a bag with a bit of flour to see if that would make the egg/crumbs stick better…i thought it made a difference.
    and the leftovers DO reheat well, which amazed me – so few breaded things make decent leftovers.
    great recipe, great way to enjoy the prolific zukes!
    Thanks for sharing your lovely tips and variations! ~Jessica

15. sugarjo

Very good. I loved the zucchini this way. Next time I will divide the breading into two bowls since at the end of breading my zucchini, the batter did not stick as well, probably due to egg getting into it. So if you split it into two batches, you can switch to a fresh batch of breading halfway through. This is a keeper.
    I did make the onion dip, and it is tasty. I don’t like it with the zucchini personally, but I think it’s great for sandwiches and burgers.
    Thank you so much!

16. K-Spaz

I made these for a gathering of 20-25 yesterday. They were a huge hit. I love onion so I went probably a bit rich on that in the dip. I also caramelized mine pretty long, so much so the dip was light brown. Every one loved them and every piece from 3 full 12×18 pans was gone. I used 4 different varieties of zucchini from the garden, the seed’ier ones I removed seeds from, the others I left them in.

Personally, I really preferred the pieces that were 1″ square or so. The smaller ones didn’t seem to have any body to them, and somehow, the squash actually helped bring out the flavors in all the seasonings. If I do them again, I’ll make the sticks larger. I did have to bake a long time, probably >1/2 hour at 425 or higher. (I did pies too and needed the oven hotter for a little while).

I may attempt a sort of “shake and bake” thing in a bag next time. This was time consuming this way, and for a large gathering, might take too much time if you’re doing other stuff. This was all I had to make yesterday so time wasn’t short.

Thanks for the tip on on one-hand-wet, one-dry. I bread rarely, and that was a big help.

I’d also note, I think it’s about impossible to overcook these.
    Thanks for sharing your “baking for a crowd” experience. It’s nice to know the recipe is do-able for big groups. I like the shake and bake idea too. Would work well for wedges. ~ MaryJane

17. David

I just made these tonight and they are SO addictive! So I thought I’d “give back” and share my lil trick for breading, hope you and your readers find it useful– I use chopsticks to take the zucchini from the egg wash to the crumbs. Then I use 2 forks (one in each hand) to toss them, then double-fork-lift them out on to the baking sheet. It works perfectly cuz it’s minimum liquid into the crumbs, and your hands stay clean and dry. And thanks for the tip for doing them individually cuz that really helped.Thanks so much for sharing the tips, they’re very hand-y. ~ MaryJane

18. ErinG

We made these tonight–delicious!! Ours were very crispy (not at all soggy). While baking, I started to turn each individual zucchini stick over and found that a little tedious, so I just baked them a little longer and then finished them up with the broiler so the tops would be golden brown. That worked perfectly! The only trouble I had was that I thought they were a little salty, even after rinsing and patting dry. I would probably use less salt next time.

Thanks for a great recipe for using up our zucchini! (Four plants and they’re just getting going!!)
    Glad you enjoyed them Erin. ~ MaryJane

19. Irene in TO

Toss the salted/rinsed/very-well-dried sticks with a tablespoon of flour with some garlic powder and pepper added. The egg will then stick better, and the excess egg can be allowed to drip off as you lift the sticks out. You will have a nicer thinner layer of egg if you beat the egg with a tablespoon of water or milk. This was standard cooking practise in the 1970′s. Cornstarch will also work, but you need to spice that first layer that sits right next to your veggies.

I always use a shallow soup plate for the final crumb layer, adding crumbs as required to keep the last layer thin, and to keep the crumbs dry.

20. jenniferkimgoodman

These sound great. Any ideas for making them gluten-free? Could I just use the flour substitute instead of panko? Or should I look for gluten free bread crumbs? (I haven’t found any I like.) Thanks!

Yes, definitely use GF bread crumbs – maybe if you season with herbs and add cheese, you’ll find they taste better? Good luck – PJH

21. chin

I know what you mean about zucchini growing like a weed.One year we grew zucchini in our garden,We didn’t count on them being bigger than baseball bats!I gave my brother a heart attack with one of them:}(he was getting a glass of water out of the fridge when i pulled one on him.)
    AWESOME! We’ve actually played baseball with zucchini bats and broken tomato baseballs. It wasn’t pretty, but we laughed like loons over it. ~ MaryJane

22. jenblacker

I made these a few weeks ago when I had an “appetizer night” for dinner. I LOVE them! If you want to laugh, I made a knock off of the Outback ranch dressing to dip these in instead of the onion dip. It was still great. This is a wonderful way to eat your vegetables, especially when zucchini is on sale and/or it’s growing wild in your garden.

23. Jen C

Tried these tonight- they came out amazing! Followed the recipe except for the panko crumbs- made my own crumbs with coarsely ground wheat bread. Thanks for sharing!

24. Heather

YUM!! I can’t wait to try these with zucchini that we got from our CSA. I have to make a few modifications because we are gluten-free, but I am so excited to try this. Looks awesomely delicious! :)
    That sounds great! We would love to hear about your GF modifications if you don’t mind sharing them with us. ~Amy

25. Caity

I don’t have that big of a family and I did see that these are good reheated but even then 2 cucumbers are too much. Would cutting the recipe in half affect the cooking time? I’m still learning to cook in terms of going off script on recipes but heard that the amount affects how long to cook. I would just wait till they turned a nice crisp brown but my oven doesn’t have a window. Has a light switch… but no light or window, lol. Thank you for any help you can offer :)

Caity, you can absolutely cut the recipe in half, and bake for the same amount of time. Baking time doesn’t change except when you halve something that bakes in a big mass – e.g., a cake,instead of individual cookies. Also, I assume you meant zucchini? I don’t think this recipe would work well with cukes, they’re too juicy. Good luck – PJH

26. Claire

I made these and they were a hit! Made two batches one gluten free for my sister. The onion sauce is AMAZING and I can’t wait to make it again- we put it on hot sandwiches the next day and it was great. I doubled the onion this recipe called for and added a bit of horseradish and used vegenaise instead of mayo. Can’t wait to have these again.

Claire, thanks for sharing your success here. Did you use GF bread crumbs for the coating, is that how you made them GF? PJH

27. Shantelle

I made these tonight and they were great, not soggy at all. I have one small complaint, I made the onion dip exactly as called for and it was way too sweet for me. I like a more savory dip, so next time I think I would take out the honey and probably add horseradish. Other than that it was great. Thanks for an easy recipe and love that it was baked not fried, even more healthy!
    Hi Shantelle,
    Of course, please do tweak the sauce to your taste. And thanks for reminding me that I’m almost out of horseradish! :) ~ MaryJane

28. Jenna

I just got done making these. I substituted the parmesan in the crust for fresh fine shredded mozzarella. The boyfriend is not a fan of parmesan. I thought the cheese would ooze, but counteracted the oozing by placing the baking sheet on the top shelf of the oven to make it crisp quicker. I lined the sheet with foil instead of parchment paper and sprayed it with PAM. Worked out just fine. Only recommendation is that the seasonings I used didn’t have very much flavor, even with the cheese in there. I just lightly sprinkled the sticks with some salt right out of the oven to help bring out more of the cheese and herbs flavoring. Other than that, boyfriend is happy and better yet, my kids like them too! Thanks for the recipe, will repeat for a Thanksgiving dish. =]

29. fi

Was a good recipe, although next time, i wont add quite as much honey, will up the amount of spicy and/or Dijon mustard, and definitely will add in some roasted garlic before blending in the food processor. (I also added in red pepper flakes to kick it up a bit)

30. Rachael @ Mrs-Adventure

Thank you SO MUCH for this AWESOME recipe. We just made it and ate every last bite. I can’t believe that anyone would need to change a thing my husband has already asked for round II tomorrow :o)

Great to stash away for next zucchini season too, Rachael – glad they were a hit! PJH

31. Justine

I’m 23 from Portland, OR and have recently been browsing recipes on Pinterest to keep me from eating out as much. I found this one a few days ago and decided to try it out. The sticks came out perfect and were a hit with the rest of my household. My 83 year old Grandmother especially liked the sweet onion sauce! Thank you so much for sharing!

32. Merrilee

I loved the flavor, but the coating was crispy and the zucchini was soggy. I salted them and drew out the moisture for an hour, then I patted them dry. I let them cook until browned, too. I don’t know what went wrong.

Merrilee, I think maybe it’s just managing your expectations (yes, the zucchini will remain soft); and next time, perhaps cutting the sticks smaller/thinner (which will allay the extent of that softness). Glad you liked the flavor – PJH

33. Gail C via Pinterest

Just made these — awesome! I oven-roast veggies a lot and always use non-stick foil. Not sure if it was because of that but zucchini browned and crisped all around; no turning required. My husband did the egg dip and quick drain, and I quickly covered over the wet zucchini with crumbs and pressed. We had great luck until the last 10% or so when the crumbs finally got a little too moist. TIME SAVING DIP: start with Braswell’s Balsamic Onion Jam, add the mustard and mayo (or greek yogurt or low/nonfat sour cream). I get mine at World Market/CostPlus.

Thanks for sharing your tips here, Gail – including the balsamic onion jam, which sounds sooooo tasty… :) PJH

34. Steph

We just made these today, got the recipe off Pinterest. I have to say, I like them a lot, but if I made them again, I would substitute horseradish instead of mustard. The mustard just didn’t taste like the outback steakhouse dip. I think horseradish would give it that edge.

Good thought, Steph – I’d like to try that, too. Thanks! PJH

35. eileen

WOw, these were really GOOD! Thanks for the one wet hand, one dry hand suggestion as that helped a lot. I added some horseradish to the sauce for a little kick and it was fantastic! Although next time, I’ll have to make a full recipe of it(I halved it bc there were only 2 of us) as it is fantastic and my husband about licked the bowl clean! Once the fries were gone, he was dipping avocado in it!

36. Michelle

Making these again today…they are a new family favorite! So, so delicious!! I have yet to try and re-heat them as we never seem to have any left :)

37. autumnrosep

The easiest thing to do whenever working with egg wash and some kind of coating is use a latex glove for one hand so that you can keep one clean and just throw away the “catcher’s mitt” of egg and crumb at the end! Saves nails and rings!

Excellent tip – thanks! PJH

38. Beebeefox

Myself and 2 of my boys have Celiac Disease… I wonder what else beside Panko we could use to coat the zucchini???

I wonder if you could make crumbs from GF bread, and toast them? Seems like that would work just fine… PJH

39. Steph from http://www.moderndaydonnareed.com

This looks fantastic and I’ve been so excited to try! I have the zucchini in the colander shedding water now – and hope to get them in the oven so they re ready as an after school snack!

40. CarolineVB

Is it okay to substitute the zucchini with cucumbers instead?

Caroline, I don’t think the cukes would have enough body; I’m afraid, with all their water content, they’d just shrivel away… Try it if you like, but I foresee a lot of limp blobs of soggy bread crumbs! ;) PJH

41. Rebecca

This turned out really good!!! I used almond flour instead of bread crumbs, and it was super tasty :) Too lazy to make the dip so I used hummus. Wonderful.

42. Christie

I made these with almond flour too! It cuts out the grains and adds in some great fats! I used grapeseed vegenaise instead of mayo. Fabulous!

43. Cindy HS

I made these last night with Glutino GF breadcrumbs and they were do very delicious. I have made several baked zucchini recipes and this is by far the best. I agree that the smaller the slices, the crispier they become. Thanks!

44. Heather

I did this with summer squash too. It came out fantastic. Instead of mayo for the dip I threw in a wedge of cream cheese. Yum :)

YUM is right – that sounds delicious, Heather. Thanks for sharing – PJH

45. traci

My whole house got smokey when I made these. They tasted great, and I’d like to make them again, but how can I avoid the smoke alarm going off next time?

You may have some old oil or food pieces in your oven. When you turn the oven temperature up high, your kitchen can fill with smoke. I would try giving your oven a thorough cleaning and if you have an aghast fan turn it on.

46. Betzy

Found this recipe on pinterest and just finished eating too large a portion! Yum! I have a csa and we are getting tons of zucchini and summer squash, so I am always looking for new recipes. I love these! I was able to make these with things I already had in the house including onions from my csa. I did add a little crushed red pepper to the bread crumbs for a little kick. I am hoping I can convince my non vegetable eating boyfriend to eat them when he gets home. If this doesn’t work nothing will. And the dip! I can’t wait to try it in sandwiches. I wonder if it would work with greek yogurt, I would prefer that to mayo.

So glad you found this tasty recipe on Pinterest, Betzy – hope veggie-scorning BF finds them just as delicious as you do! As for the Greek-stype yogur t- it would definitely make a tangier dip, but if that’s OK, go for it. PJH

47. Kara

I want to make these tonight – quick question, can you make the dip ahead of time and put it in the fridge until supper? I’m talking like a couple hours in the fridge. Thanks! I’m excited to try these!

Kara, yes, the dip will stay good in the fridge for several days, at least. Enjoy! PJH

48. Kacey

Is the dip meant to be served warm, cold, room temperature? I am cooling it now, but we are ready to dive in so I guess we will be trying it at mostly room temp!

Any way you like it, Kacey; just be sure to keep it chilled if you don’t eat it right away. You can always rewarm or bring to room temperature before serving, but it needs to be stored in the fridge. PJH

49. Theresa

HOLY CRAP that dip is good! I’m a big fan of breaded zukes but that dip brought them to a whole new level!

Sure, does, Theresa – zucchini never had it that good, right? PJH

50. Patty

Has anyone tried to make these without flour or breadcrumbs?

You’ll need some type of coating, and there are some panko-style and other breadcrumbs that are gluten free out on the market! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

51. Lyn

These were great. My husband liked them and the sauce. I used mustard with horseradish because thats what I had on hand. Delish. I used my last zucchini from the garden and was tired of the other recipes. Baked, not fried, is good.

52. AmericanGirlinQuebec

I think I will have to try these this weekend. I tend to double batter my veggies, though, since my husband and I prefer a nice thick coating. I usually do a dip in egg beaten with milk, then dip in seasoned flour (flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc.), quick dip back in the egg mix, then into the bread crumbs. This works really well on marinated eggplant rounds, so I may be bad and double bread my zucchini sticks as well. Can’t wait to try your breadcrumb mix and the dip though, they sound out of this world!

53. Polah_gangsta

I made these last night for our monthly poker night. One of our guests is vegan though so I had to use something other than egg. Honestly, they turned out great, and I didn’t have to worry about getting my hands dirty! Instead of cheese I put nutritional yeast in the mixture. Once all the zucchini strops were drained and dried, I placed them in a large plastic ziplock. I added some olive oil on top then dumped the dry coating mixture in the bag. Shake, shake, shake and they were all coated! I poured them onto my pan, positioned them and baked. They were a hit even with the meat-eaters (read: my picky husband!)

Another recipe that passes the husband-seal-of-approval! Sounds like your substitutions worked well so it’s a keeper! Happy Baking! Irene @ KAF

54. Kathy

I made these tonight and even my 8yo daughter who hates veggies loved them. I did sprinkle in about 1/2 tsp of blackening seasoning with the breadcrumbs, just to boost the flavor a pinch. The dip was awesome and I can’t wait to try it on sandwiches!

For those who asked about cukes, you can do this with pickle chips, and make fried pickles, but I can’t imagine it would work well with fresh cukes.

55. Liz

These are really good! I didn’t have any trouble with coating them or anytihng! They’re so good, I used one large zucchini and ate the whole thing they were so good! I didn’t have the ingredients to make the sauce so I used prego chunky as marinara and just heated it in the microwave and it worked perfect! Great recipe! Will be making it again!

56. susanmca

These sounded really good, especially the dip, but because I don’t like mayonnaise or anything which contains it as a main ingredient, I was a little hesitant at first. When someone suggested using either sour cream or cream cheese, I went ahead and made it using the cream cheese; I also used sugar instead of the honey. Oh, yes, it is delicious! I did thin it down somewhat with milk because it came out very thick this way, but that did not affect the flavor. This would be good on many other things besides the zucchini sticks too.

In case anyone is interested, we also had some tzaziki on hand. My daughter liked that with the zucchini sticks even better than the onion dip. She is not a big fan of onions, but I can tell you that the tzaziki was really good on them too.

You’re right, tzatziki would be excellent with the zucchini. Glad you all enjoyed this – PJH

57. Jen

I made these this afternoon! They are super tasty! I have a garden full of zucchini; this will be a recipe I use again and again. Especially for apps when friends come over. I used 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream in my dip. It was good. Maybe next time I’ll try sour cream and greek yogurt. Over all my family gives this 2 thumbs up.

58. Jen P

Yum! Just served this at a large family get-together and nothing was left! Zucchini was delicious and pretty. I did a combination of mayo and plain Greek yogurt to save on calories, and it was fine. It was a bit sweet to me, but nobody else. This is a keeper!

59. Lidia Perez

I made it last night for my husband and me and it was SOOOO GOOOOD! Specially the sauce. I’m glad that I still have a lot of extra sauce and I’m coming back to the store later to buy some more zucchinies for tomorrow again. I wonder what else would be good to eat with the onion sauce. I just have to thank you! I’m Spanish, living in Spain, and my husband is military working currently here, so I’m trying to learn about the American cuisine. I’m keeping this recipe for sure!!
    I am so glad you enjoyed it! I have made this also and the kids really loved it. I would think this sauce would go well with raw vegetables, or as a sandwich spread, a dip for french fries…and the list goes on. Elisabeth

60. J.Kaye

These were really good – I made them last night for a healthier alternative football snack for my husband and I. I seasoned mine with McCormick’s Mediterranean seasoning, and added a little more garlic and dash of Italian seasoning. One thing to note (and I very well could’ve missed it in the recipe) these are best served practically straight from the oven. We set them out to cool, but waited too long, and the zucchini itself was a little cooler than intended. They still tasted great, though and the hubs loved them! I didn’t make the dip, we just ate the straight off the plate.

61. Mbtown

Just a quick tip for a flip all at once ( you will love me forever) take parchment paper an place on top of the zucchini , take another cookie sheet and place on top, hold the two cookie sheet TIGHTLY and flip on the bottom of the clean cookie sheet. You will know have them all flipped over on new parchment on the bottom of a clean cookie tray, carefully pull onto the original cookie sheet.

Ps has anyone tried the dip with Greek yogurt instead of mayo?

62. Kelly

I did this recipe today, and found that i didnt like it, the dip was good but my zucchini was not very well coated and i found that the batter had little flavor. im so sad because i had wanted to make these for so long.
    I’m sorry to hear about this. Give the hotline and call and we can help you troubleshoot. ~ MaryJane

63. Oicim Tooyy

Try taking the pistils out of the blossoms, stuffing them with cheese, breading them and deep frying. You may never let another one go all the way to “Z” again.

64. Laura

Just made these for my boyfriend’s parents and they were a huge hit. The dip was an even bigger hit! I used less a LOT less mayo and light mayo, also used more mustard than it called for (Kroger’s spicy brown). But other than that, I followed the directions exactly and they were perfect! Great recipe

65. EMG

I look forward to trying these! I wanted to make them ahead of time for Christmas Eve appetizer, then repeat when the guests arrive. Any suggestions?? Have you ever made them a few hours before serving?
    Thanks

I’d say it’s OK to make them ahead, but then reheat briefly (10 minutes or so) just before serving, to refresh them. Should work just fine – PJH

66. Rose L

I just found this recipe and because nearly everyone loves it, I am going to give it a try next season. I am wondering if I can prepare the Z to the salt, drain, rinse and dry stage then freeze them in air tight baggies so I can make this dish throughout the winter? I tend to shred and freeze Z. for making breads and cookies through the winter but it doesn’t have any salt in it. Any ideas? Thanks
    Hi Rose – I am just not sure if the zucchini will hold up once it is defrosted because of taking on moisture. Give it a try! Elisabeth

67. Aurora Appel

i came across this recipe by StumbleUpon. i absolutely love zucchini, and my husband especially loves fried zucchini chips, so i thought this would be amazing. however, it came out totally bland. i used salt to sweat out the excess water of the zucchini. i used the same amount of panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, but doubled the italian seasoning. i bit into one fresh out of the oven and it was a complete disappointment! a total waste of zucchini i could have had several other uses for. good thing i didn’t go out of my way to make the dip for it, however i’m sure that would have been the only saving grace to this recipe.

Sorry this didn’t turn out for you! It could certainly be free to interpretation next time (more salt and cheese?). Best, Kim@KAF

68. Sam - New Zealand

Hi there, I came across your recipe and my kids love these! Its a great way to get zucchini into them! I have also used par-cooked cauliflower florets with the same mixture, and that works wonderfully too!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the recipe! This is a fantastic one to help kids ease into eating their veggies.-Jon :)

69. Hannah

What if you bake them on a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet? Then you wouldn’t have to turn them… Just a thought. Maybe I’ll give it a try when I make them!

That sounds like a pretty good idea! Please let us know how it works for you.-Jon

70. Elizabeth

Do you think the dip would taste fine with yellow onion? I don’t have sweet onions and no time to run to the store =/ Oh and it says 1 med onion 1/2 pound.. i dont think one onion would be half of a pound?

Yes, Elizabeth, yellow onions would be fine. Sweet onions are generally larger than yellow onions, and a typical medium-sized sweet onion weighs about 8 ounces; while a typical medium-sized yellow onion weighs 5-6 ounces. Also, “medium” is an inexact term… so hard to nail weight right to the ounce. Hope you try the recipe, anyway, and enjoy it – PJH

71. Anne

I love these. Another dip idea: mayo mixed with sriracha

Love that spicy chili sauce – great idea, Anne, thanks! PJH

72. Corina

These were delish! Thanks for a great recipe. We love zucchini and actually eat it all the time, but this was a great new way to munch on it! I didn’t make the sauce but I will definitely make it next time. YUM!

Glad to hear these were a hit, Corina – and definitely try the sauce sometime, it’s a nice complement. PJH

73. kathy

Thanks for the recipe. They’re in the oven now. Third time making these. I make them for my 16mth old. He loves ‘em! First time I used the GF breading but the one I used had too many spices in it which made it to spicy for him but they were very good. So I now use just Italian breading. One of these days I’ll make these for a crowd of adults and make the dip as well it looks tasty.

74. B & B

Use plain yogurt or a buttermilk, mayo mixture (Keep on the thick side) to coat .
    Then place Zucchini in a shallow sqr. bowl filled with seasoned Panko. Just shake the bowl until sticks are covered all over (Yes, you may need to twist or turn), place on Parchment paper lined backing sheet. Bake as you have instructed. Best Crispy results. Plus the Panko actually stays adhered to Zucchini.
    Also best to cut Zucchini sticks uniformly to the size around of a finger. They don’t need to be baked until they’re mush. Bake at a higher degree for 15 Min. and then lay a loose cover of aluminum foil to trap the heat until ready to plate.
    Ideally, they should have some crunch aside from the Panko crust.
    This is what I have found the most successful.

Great tips – I’m definitely going to try shaking them in a bowl, which sounds a lot faster/easier. And baking at a higher temperature. Sounds like you’ve done this many times – thanks for sharing your experience with all of us! PJH

75. Maggie N

Hi. I just found this on Pinterest and was excited to try it. I did change it up a bit. I coated my Zucchini sticks with a little garlic infused oil and Gluten Free Parmesan Bread crumbs in a large zip lock and shook till they looked coated. Laid them out and baked. As for the dip — I left out the mayo because I don’t like mayo and the MSG it has. YUMMMMM…. I don’t think it needs the mayo at all. WELL DONE!!!!! Thanks for sharing. A new fav added to my menu.

76. Rebekah Dodson

Absolutely amazing! I added some garlic salt and tobacco sauce to my dip for a little kick and WOW!!! So good. I’ll be making this again for sure!

77. Arlene

These were GREAT! and that dip! My husband put it on his backed potato!
    Thanks for an awesome recipe!

Glad you like both parts to the recipe! That sauce would be fantastic on a baked potato–awesome idea (for the awesome recipe!) :) Kim@KAF

78. Amy

Is this recipe able to be frozen? Would you bread them and freeze individually or bake first, then freeze? They are awesome it would be great to have year round.
    Unfortunately zucchini becomes very soggy after freezing. The good news is that zucchini is becoming easier to find in the grocery store for more months of the year. ~ MJ

79. KT

okay, I never leave reviews but this was the BEST recipe I have ever made. I cannot thank you (and pinterest!) enough. For the dipping sauce I used chipotle mustard and I used splenda instead of honey. I made double the batch of zucchini and added some chicken to make tenders. Both were super delicious with the sauce. I already put some aside for tomorrow’s work lunch :)

Thanks for the tips about substitutions – always good to hear what works. Enjoy your lunch! :) PJH

80. Bonnie

I also was not a fan of using mayo to make the dip, so I substituted it with silkened tofu and it was incredible! I added a little extra honey and mustard and a little lemon juice. Since a lot of us are healthier eaters, this reduced the fat content by a lot.

81. Julie

Sorry I am new to the wonderful world of cooking so this may be a stupid question. I have apple cider vinager in my house now, would that work? Or is cider vinger totally different?

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Julie,
      Apple cider vinegar and cider vinegar are basically the same thing, so what you have will be just fine. Enjoy! ~ MJ

82. Sandi

Cannot believe how much the entire family from age 6 to 52 loved both the sticks and dip. We had plenty of dip left over to use as a sandwich spread the next day. Flavor was perfect just enough sweet and spice.

Sandi, so glad to hear these were a hit. Now you have something good to do with all that zucchini, right? Enjoy – PJH

83. Tamara

For easy breading put all dry ingredients on a piece of paper and when you put a zucchini stick covered in eggs on the heap, just lift ends of the paper so the stick rolls on the crumbs. Then it’s safe to take the breaded stick by hand and your fingers remain dry. Bonus: less dishes to wash ; )

84. kim

seriously can’t stop thinking of these….I’ve made them a dozen times and I can’t stop!!! Amazingly yummy–thanks for the recipe!

Gordon, almost makes you want to see zucchini taking over your garden again, doesn’t it, so you can have an endless supply. Glad you’re enjoying these; it’s actually one of our most popular recipes, so you’re not alone. Cheers – PJH

85. Nora Brown

I did yellow crookneck squash instead of zucchini and did it on a pizza stone. No turning required. LOVE! Will do this again.

86. Corrinna

Yum! I ran out and bought the ingredients and I am making these tonight. I can’t wait to try the dip! It looks to die for!

87. Antoinette

After bookmarking this a few months ago I made it tonight and so glad I did! My family loved it! They were shocked that it was baked and not fried. I will totally make them again. My sauce came out pink though- I’m not sure why but it was amazing and enough left over for a salad or sandwich! Totally recommend this to anyone. YUM!

88. Reynten

I added Sriracha to the sweet onion dip and it made it a thousand times better. Especially if you don’t like a strong mayo taste. It covers it right up and gives the sauce a little kick!

89. kat

Made these last night, they were fantastic! I wasn’t going to make the dip, but sooo glad l did. The dip complements the zucchini sticks.

90. Kathy Jo

I made these for my family last night. We all loved them. Thanks for the dry hand/wet hand suggestion. It worked great. We served with Ranch because I was too lazy to make the dip but I’ll have to try it soon. Thank you for the wonderful recipe. It’s a keeper!!