1) Beat all the ingredients (except the cornmeal or semolina) at high speed for 1 minute, until the dough is fairly smooth.
2) Let the dough rise in a greased, covered bowl for about 60 minutes, until puffy.
3) Place 12 greased 3 3/4" English muffin rings on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle cornmeal or semolina into each ring. Don't have English muffin rings? See "tips," at left.
4) Divide the dough into 12 pieces, shape into balls, and place each into a ring, flattening it somewhat. Sprinkle the top of each with cornmeal or semolina.
5) Top the entire pan of muffins with a greased baking sheet; this will prevent them from doming as they rise. Let the muffins rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until they're puffy. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 400°F.
6) Bake the muffins (still with the baking sheet on top) for 10 minutes. Flip the pans over, and bake 5 minutes more. Remove the top pan, and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the muffins are a light golden brown, and the interior of one registers about 200°F on a digital thermometer.
7) Remove the muffins from the oven. Remove the muffin rings, and transfer the muffins to a rack to cool.
Yield: 12 muffins.