Zwieback is dead. Long live zwieback!

If you’re a cinnamon toast aficionado, keep reading.

If you don’t love light, crunchy toast slathered with butter and topped with a shower of crunchy sugar and aromatic cinnamon—why ever not? Keep reading, I’ll convince you.

We all know cinnamon toast. Sliced bread, popped in the toaster, buttered, sugared. What I’m talking about here, though, is a different animal. Known by an array of names.

Zwieback. Korpu. Trenary Toast.

As Shakespeare might have said, had he thought to put down his bowl of breakfast cornflakes and pick up a pen, “A toast by any other name would taste as sweet.”

For those of us who remember Nabisco Zwieback Toasts—and our number is legion, I’d presume—you might notice that they’re no longer on the grocery store shelf. Sadly, they’ve gone to that Big Sam’s Club in the Sky, same place you’ll find Turkish Taffy, Burry Fudgetowns, Royal Lunch crackers, and Hostess Choco-Bliss.

Discontinued. Dropped. “No longer available,” as the marketing arm of their various parent companies will tell you.

But—what about the pie whose crust calls for Zwieback crumbs? The perfect coffee go-with?

And what about the baby?

Because that’s who Zwieback Toasts were originally marketed for: teething babies.  It was only after moms started enjoying the leftover crumbs that we adults began enjoying Zwieback, with its faint sweetness, haunting hint of nutmeg and cinnamon, and ethereally light texture.

Gone, all gone. But not forgotten. And now, recreated in a slightly different guise, but with the same delicious flavor and compelling texture.

Finnish Korpu, and Trenary Toast (a native of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula), are both thin-sliced bread, spread with cinnamon sugar and oven-dried to stay good for months. Rather than mimic Nabisco’s thicker Zwieback (which would take a lonnnnnnnng time to dry out in the oven), I decided to clone these, instead.

The result: Zwieback taste and texture, enhanced with cinnamon-sugar. What could be better?

Aside from banana Turkish Taffy, not much.

If you want to follow along with the recipe as you read, here it is: Zwieback.

img_6706.JPG

Here’s one of my favorite ready-made ingredients: our Cinnamon-Sugar Plus, a combination of superfine sugar and Vietnamese cinnamon. You can certainly make your own—with our Baker’s Special Sugar and Vietnamese cinnamon. But however you do it, I’m sure you’ll love this blend of lightly crunchy sugar and super-fragrant cinnamon.

img_6632.JPG

Let’s start with a basic rich yeast dough: King Arthur Flour, sugar, salt, and yeast; milk, eggs, and butter. And a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg.

img_6633.JPG

Knead till smooth. Notice that the dough is slightly sticky—see it clinging to the bottom of the bowl? That’s fine. Never try to make a sticky dough perfectly smooth; all you’re doing is impeding its ability to rise, and encouraging the final loaf to be dry.

img_6634.JPG

Put it in your favorite rising vessel. As always, mine is this 8-cup measure.

img_6648.JPG

Let rise. This isn’t an enthusiastic riser, due to the fat and sugar, but it’ll puff up.

img_6593.JPG

And notice that it’s lost its stickiness. As dough rises, the gluten continues to develop, and the flour continues to absorb moisture, changing a sticky dough into one that’s easily handled.

img_6655.JPG

Divide the dough in half, and shape it into two 12” logs. Space them on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet. A half-sheet pan is just the right size. Cover and let rise for about 90 minutes.

img_6656.JPG

Again, they won’t double, but will definitely get puffy.

img_6657.JPG

Place in a 350°F oven.

img_6662.JPG

Ah! There’s the rise. Bake for about 22 minutes. Just 22 minutes, really? Yup.

img_6603.JPG

The loaves will get nice and brown, like this. Their internal temperature will be about 190°F. Let the loaves cool overnight, uncovered, on a rack. Yes, uncovered. You want them to start drying out.

img_6614.JPG

Next day, use a ruler to measure out 1/2” slices. Picky, picky… Well, in this case it pays to be picky. If all your slices are pretty much the same thickness, they’ll all dry out at the same rate.

img_6611.JPG

1/2” seems to be the optimum thickness.

img_6701.JPG

Here’s one loaf, cut up and ready to dry in the oven.

img_6620.JPG

At first I thought, ah, just like biscotti. Stand them on end, dry both sides at once.

img_6626.JPG

Problem: They were so finely balanced on their 1/2” width, any small movement in the kitchen—an adjoining oven door slamming, someone with heavy feet—caused them to tumble like dominoes.

img_6630.JPG

Plan B: Just lay them down. One loaf will fit one half-sheet pan perfectly. Minus the little end nubs.

img_6697.JPG

Notice how these are all the same thickness. Nag, nag…

img_6702.JPG

For the MEREST hint of cinnamon, dust with cinnamon sugar.

img_6703.JPG

Bake for an hour in a VERY low oven—about 225°F. The bread will start to dry out.

img_6707.JPG

Remove from the oven, and turn all the pieces over. For cinnamon toasts—remember Korpu and Trenary Toast?—sprinkle each piece with about 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar. Bake for another hour, until the toasts are very dry and crisp.

img_6742.JPG

And here they are—plain, and cinnamon.

img_6747.JPG

See all the holes? That’s what gives this toast its ethereally light, crunchy texture. Minus the cute kid on the box, I think we’ve got this clone nailed…

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Trenary Home Bakery, Trenary, MI: Cinnamon Trenary Toast, 32¢/ounce

Nabisco Zwieback Toast, 6-ounce package — formerly 60¢/ounce, but since it’s no longer made: priceless!

Bake at home: Zwieback, 8¢/ounce

comments

1. Halley

I’m always wondering what to use to cover my rising loaves… Just out of curiosity – what did you use to cover your loaves on a half sheet pan?

In our test kitchen we use old fashioned (and no longer available) plastic proofing covers. Some options I have found useful at home are: the chamber of the microwave, under the biggest stainless steel mixing bowl I have, under a brown paper bag, under a cardboard box. Even though I can’t see what is going on, all of these keep the dough in draft free environment and prevent a crust from forming. Frank from KAF.

At home, I use the cheap plastic cover from a deli party platter – it’s see-through, lightweight, and if you get the BIG rectangular party platter, the reclaimed cover will fit over your whole half-sheet pan. PJH

2. Kathy

YES! I LOVED zwieback as a kid, and not the Nabisco stuff; I recall a brand that came in a paper package, much like the Wasa crispbreads do today. THANK YOU for the recipe!

p.s. how about taking a swing at those crispbreads? ;-)

Wasa? Sounds do-able, Kathy – what I really like is those paper-thin Kavli crackers – which don’t seem do-able, so I’d best focus on the Wasa… PJH

3. Erin in PA

Just to add my two cents on the proofing loaves… I just went to the grocery store and found the deepest aluminum pans (I think they were called turkey roasters?) They are disposable, but I am keeping mine around – I like that they can even go into the oven as a cover if I am making a no-knead bread and want a shinier crust (but a longer loaf than the round ones my casserole pan makes). I hope that this helps!

4. Eric

Oh, you *WOULD* have to mention Choco-Bliss. This just proves my hypothesis that there are powerful psychoactive agents in the flour and RF devices in the catalog that make us share a brain wave, PJH. I LOVED Choco-Bliss.

Home Baking in Astoria, OR makes a phenomenal korpu. It was one of the most common snacks growing up there. Yum.

You’re right, Eric – perhaps we’re both residents of the bake-o-sphere? Choco-Bliss was obscene – Suzy-Q with attitude. AND, yes, I actually have read about Home Baking in Astoria, OR and their korpu… :) PJH

5. fer

Wanted to add a tip I came up with years ago. I keep a PLASTIC ruler in my kitchen drawer. It’s much easier to clean than a wooden one, can even be put in the dishwasher if you dry without heat. It comes in handy so often.

Yes, good point. I have a plastic one I use most of the time in the kitchen, but its markings aren’t as easy to see as the wooden one, so I use the old wooden one for blog photos… PJH

6. Jayme

CHOCO BLISS!! I used to live off those things as a kid! (my mom wasn’t much of a cook or a stickler when it came to junk food lol)

I love cinnamon. I love toast. I love cinnamon toast. I love crunchy and I love sweet. This recipe is for me.

I will be making this soon, thanks for the recipe!

…and lived to tell the tale, huh? WHO KNEW there were so many closet Choco-Bliss fans out there? Hmmm, sounds like a “clone blog” needs to happen… PJH

7. Karen

This sounds great will start a batch tonight for my grandsons and of course Grandma will have to sample to make sure they are just right. To cover my loaves I put them in XXL zip bag using either a high rack or glasses supporting the bag off the loafs.

Good idea, Karen – thanks for sharing. PJH

8. Fred Weideman

Thanks for the recipe. Zwieback is an ingredient in a wonderful marzipan coffee cake we make. Now we can continue to do it and enjoy it!

9. Laura

Turkish Taffy! Now that takes be back a half century! Chocolate and banana were my favorite flavors.

Vanilla, strawberry, banana, and chocolate. Remember putting it in the freezer then shattering it into a zillion pieces? :) PJH

10. Marion

Oh my gosh, I should never have read this blog – not this week, I’m trying to do South Beach (don’t even ask…)
    I LOVE cinnamon toast and crunchy bread :-(

Hang in there, Marion – the first three weeks will be over soon… I actually like South Beach, it makes sense and seems to work, but it’s tough if you like bread. Save this recipe for a month or so from now… Good luck! PJH

11. Christina

Nostalgia man…child of the 80′s checking in and I remember those divine toasts. A kid in my kindergarten class who listed those as his favorite cookie.

I actually bought Melba toast not too long ago thinking it was the same thing. Boy was I wrong. ;)

I’m definitely going to have to try a non-dairy version of these really soon. I know the flavor of the toast will be a bit flatter (at least imo) but until we get our youngest past the dairy intolerance we’re using alternatives. Regardless, in my house, these won’t last the weekend.

12. Donna

Please tell me what Choco-Bliss is/was! All these swoonings and moanings, and I have no idea what you are talking about! Also korpu. I seem to have missed out on something here.
    As for Zwieback, that I remember. I was given a copycat recipe for that nearly 30 years ago but haven’t made it in years and years. My mouth is watering now! Mine is made of a mildly sweet dough much like yours, but it is baked in 13/9 cake pans, cut lengthwise into three strips, then sliced and baked to dry them out as yours is. I’ll have to do it again, soon. Thanks for bringing that idea back!

Well, here’s a comment from another blog about Choco-Bliss. It’ll give you the idea:

“By now you might be wondering just what in God’s name a Choco-Bliss cake was. Its closest living relative is a Hostess “Suzy-Q,” but this thing was eighty times more indulgent. Let me break it down: there were two devil’s food cakes smacked together, with the upper cake being topped with chocolate cake icing. In-between the cakes was a light whipped chocolate, effecting transforming Choco-Bliss into the most disgustingly tasty treat … As you’d imagine, the cakes were insanely thick — taller than a Twinkie and nearly double the width.”

Also, for a laugh, here’s a link to a YouTube video showing a Choco-Bliss commercial from the ’80s
    – Boy, times have changed. PJH

13. Kim

Based on your recipe and descriptions of Zwieback toast, it sounds a lot like Jacobsen’s snack toast. I have some and they’re about 1/2 inch thick with cinnamon & sugar sprinkled on top. I’m guessing they might be a decent substitute for Zwieback. It comes in different flavors: Original, Cinnamon, Cinnamon Raisin, Blueberry, Raspberry and Honey Maple. I’ve only ever had cinnamon.

Maybe this is one of those “regional” items that is only available in certain areas of the country. (They’re a Minnesota company.) You’ll have to try it and let me know if it compares to Zwieback.

Must be regional, Kim – I’ve never seen it at our groceries here in NH/Vermont… Sounds yummy, though. PJH

14. Rosemarie Gilson

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! For months I have been looking in supermarkets in southern NH for Zweiback that I use for crust for my German Cheesecake made with cottage cheese. I had last made it about a year and a half ago. Now I know I am not crazy. My mother always made that cheesecake (and she’s been gone for over 45 years!). I will try this recipe soon. I’d love to have Fred’s recipe for marzipan coffee cake – I usually make my own marzipan.

15. Amy Dixon

When mixing up cinnamon sugar at home, what proportions do you recommend? (If I missed this info someplace else, my apology in advance).

Thanks!

Whatever suits your taste, Amy – When I do it, I start with the amount of sugar I want, then add cinnamon till it looks right – very light, medium, or dark, according to your preference. Be bold! Experiment. PJH

16. JanH

Have you tried Holland Rusk? It is similar to zwieback, but better. And it makes a GREAT cheesecake crust. (Be sure to crush it with a rolling pin, NOT the food processor tho. It turns in to powder in the FP.)

17. Joan Swanson

Jacobsen’s was a Swedish bakery on the East Side of St. Paul, MN. I’m sure they made their cinnamon toast from day-old bread. We ate it as kids with peanut butter and dunked it in hot cocoa. That was a special breakfast treat. I fondly remember walking out of the bakery with a white paper bag full of cinnamon toast.

18. Kari

My only memories of zwieback are my younger cousins, when they were babies, with zwieback slobber all down thier fronts, on the couch, the car, etc. :)
    So I’m guessing from all the choco bliss comments we should be expecting a recipe here pretty soon? Or did I miss it already?

Kari, Choco-Bliss – I’m working on it, won’t be for awhile… But oh, the experiments promise to be LOTS of fun! PJH

19. Carole Robin

Thank you so much for the Zwieback recipe. I can’t wait to try it. I had been trying to locate Nabisco Zwieback at every supermarket in my area for the past year. I finally called Nabisco and they told me it had been discontinued .
    I use the Zwieback for a crust for an award winning cheesecake of my mother’s that I have been baking for over 30 years!

20. Bonnie

JanH, I have been looking for Holland Rusk for a while (I haven’t tried on-line yet), but I was told at three different supermarkets that it’s no longer available!
    I’m glad to know that someone has used it recently – I’ll get online later and try to find some. I used to love it as a kid at my grandmother’s house!
    I intend to make the Zwieback soon – I love cinnamon toast!

21. Keith

I’m wondering if anyone has tried this recipe yet? If so, can anyone tell me if this tastes exactly like the old Nabisco brand? The cheesecake recipe that my grandmother handed down to my mother, then myself (taken from a magazine back in the 50′s or 60′s I’m told) calls for them and I’ve tried using the gerber brand, as well as even making my own, and nothing came close to the flavor that the Nabisco brand gave us. Every once in a while I search the web hoping to see if anyone has tried and successfully replicated the exact flavor that the Nabisco brand had. I’m hoping this is it!

Keith, I’ve made the zwieback – really! You can see the pictures. And Andrea, one of my fellow test bakers, is a huge Nabisco Zwieback fan. She guided me as to the correct taste – and told me she thinks that it comes pretty darned close. You’ll have to try it yourself to see, as everyone’s taste-memory is different. Have at it – PJH

22. Angelina

PJ, I made it!!! They are very easy to make. Too bad I haven’t tried the original ones, otherwise I could have answered Keith. I like the crunch and the cinnamon taste. I purposely left some plain pieces and they taste just as good. The formula I took from Professional Baking is 100% : 3 % (Sugar: cinnamon, i.e. 125g sugar : 4g of cinnamon powder.)
    I am wondering if I could use the asiago sundried tomato bread recipe and have them turned out as toasts like this Zweiback?????

I think so, Angelina, so long as the little flecks of tomato don’t blacken and become bitter – give it a try let us know how it goes. PJH

23. elaine

Hi, I am very fond of baking bread,I just learnt it recently.I tried your Toast. it turned out beautiful.My husband loves it.Thanks alot for sharing your recipe.

24. Abbey

How long do these keep? I’m thinking of making these for a friend to use for her teething baby (probably sans cinnamon sugar). Do they keep well if they’re airtight, or could they be frozen?

These are great, Abbey, as they keep indefinitely at room temperature (in a closed jar, plastic bag, etc.) – so long as they’re thoroughly dried. So I don’t recommend freezing, as you don’t need to – they’re VERY stable just at room temp. Hope the baby enjoys them (sans the extra sugar) – PJH

25. Sylvia

I notice there’s 4 cups of flour in this recipe which leads me to a question, can this then be mixed in the bread machine??? So looking forward to trying this recipe.

Absolutely, Sylvia. The bread machine can actually knead up to 6 cups of flour- it just can’t bake that much, as it’ll overflow. In fact, best to take it out (6 cups flour) and put it in a bowl to rise. I’m assuming a bread machine with a 2-lb. capacity… PJH

26. Lisa

While you’re on the choco-bliss crusade, can I ask for a Brown Edge Cookie clone? Remember those? My Swedish grandmother used to keep a box in her pantry and my fondest treat was getting two to sit and eat with her while watching TV when I visited. I’m thinking there is some potato flour and maybe baker’s ammonia in those cookies somewhere?

And I think Devil Dogs are close to Choco-bliss aren’t they? Sadly, I live in South Dakota now and Devil Dogs are nowhere to be found!

27. Liane Weber

My four month old is almost ready to eat solids, this will be a great thing for him to try a few months down the line, once he gets the hang of rice cereal. My toddler will gobble these up, though – he loves any bread I make (usually your recipes!)

28. Mitch

Questions for King Arthur moderator please.

First let me say great write-up and terrific photos, which is what my questions relate to.

Although the recipe calls for 4-cups flour and 1-cup milk, not to mention the other ingredients, the dough only comes up to the 3-cup marker on the measuring cup. Can that be? Also, after it has risen, the dome of the dough comes up to about the 5-cup marker but the amount of dough the person is holding in the following photo seems massive by comparison.

An explanation/clarification on these two points would be most appreciated.

Hi Mitch – Once you add liquid to flour it becomes very compacted, which is why the ending volume doesn’t seem to equate with the beginning. And the amount of dough I’m holding looks massive because it’s close to the camera lens – no other reason. Go forth with confidence… PJH

29. Lydia

I’ve been looking for zwieback toast (for the baby) for awhile now. They just dissolved in the baby’s mouth and the flavor was subtle and lovely. The big plus was that the baby did not choke on them like she did with the biter biscuits. Way too scary! Your recipe reads easily do-able and I’m looking forward to serving them to the newest members of the family.

30. Fay

Went to make my Mother’s recipe for cheesecake for my boyfriend…Mom always made this receipe for my Dad for his birthday! He passed more than 38 years ago, just a hint at how old the recipe must be. Her recipe calls for Zwiebach toast crumbs. I searched three different stores not knowing it was disconntinued! I ended up using Stella Dora Almond Cookies (looks like biscotti) and it was perfect! Just the right flavor – the crumbs were a bit more coarse than Zwieback but perfectly acceptable. I had forgotten how good this cheesecake recipe was!

31. A.M. Donovan

THANK YOU! I have a wonderful German Cheesecake recipe that I make almost every Christmas, and the crust calls for Zwieback crumbs.
    With them being discontinued I thought it would have to go the same route as my recipe for Shark Fin soup. (Yes, that is a real recipe). And, graham crackers (which some people have suggested as a suitable substitute) do NOT taste the same.
    Thank you for saving one of our favorite Christmas recipes.

We aim to please… Thanks for sharing – PJH

32. irene

On the zwieback toast box it also lists mace as one of the spices in addition to cinnamon and nutmeg. Did you eliminate this on purpose or does it taste too much like nutmeg(I haven’t tasted it so I can’t say) and would you adjust how much you put in the recipe if you do add it or just keep all the spices equal. I too am very disappointed that zwieback is off the market I have a wonderful recipe for walnut torte which I made a while back and that was the last I was ever able to find. I too bought the stella dora almond biscuits to try but have not made the recipe yet.

Hi Irene – I leave the mace out of recipes since hardly anyone stocks it in their pantry. And yes, since it’s part of the nutmeg plant, it does taste very similar. If you add it, cut back on the nutmeg by an equal amount; I think that should work. PJH

33. Nancy

Thank you, thank you, thank you! We have looked all over, trying to find our beloved Zwieback. I finally contacted Gerber who sadly informed me that it had been discontinued. My mother has made an absolutely wonderful cheesecake for many decades (she’s almost 90 now) that used crushed Zwieback for the crust. When I couldn’t find it anywhere, I had to resort to an oreo cookie crust, and it wasn’t the same. I just may have to try this out for Christmas. Our cheesecake recipe deserves it!

34. Keith

PJH,
    I have to admit I was very skeptical about being able to reproduce the exact flavor and texture of Nabisco’s Zwieback with the recipe on your site, and decided to try it this year to see if it tasted close enough to even bother trying to make the Cheesecake that I used it for. There’s 30 minutes left of drying in the oven but I couldn’t wait and snagged one just to see, and they taste 99% the same!! I couldn’t believe it! I can’t quite tell what’s different, though I suspect it has something to do with the powdery coating that was on the Nabisco product. I’m not sure if it was some form of sweetener (it didn’t taste like sugar) or perhaps just a preservative, but it did have a flavor that I’m not detecting in this recipe. In any event, it is so close to the old Nabisco product I don’t think anyone would be able to tell once it’s mixed with the other ingredients for the crust. Thank you so much for posting this, I’ll reply once the cheesecake is done to let you all know how it went.
    -Keith

Keith, thanks for brightening my day – I love it when we’re able to re-create something store-bought, some taste from our childhood that’s been lost – and is now found, in our own kitchens. I hope your cheesecake is everything you remember. Cheers! PJH

35. Kevin

EASY SUBSTITUTE FOR ZWIEBACK CRACKERS IN CHEESECAKE CRUST: Purchase a loaf of store-bought cinnamon bread (without raisins) and follow the slow toasting instructions in the recipe on this site, i.e., place bread slices on an ungreased cookie sheet or on parchment covered cooksheet at 200 degrees for 1 hour; turn over and bake another hour. 4 slices yield approximately 4 oz. of crumbs.

My crust recipe calls for 4 oz. zweiback crumbs, 1/2 cups walnuts finely ground, 6 T. unsalted butter melted and an optional 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Mix and press over bottom and up sides of lightly buttered 8-9 in. springform pan. Chill before filling. I make it without the sugar, and the toast crumbs worked as well as the zwieback — if not identical in taste.

36. carolyn horton

Thanks to all the posters here–we hunted and hunted for Zwieback for our cheesecake crust–in vain, of course–finally investigating on the internet, and discovering the very sad news. We’ve thought of every possible substitute (we thought) then found all of your postings, and some new and wonderful ideas. The Zwieback recipe sounds great–am only concerned about amount produced, and whether it would “keep” from cheesecake to cheesecake. Ideas about this?

Carolyn, this keeps very well for weeks. Not sure how often you make cheesecake; you could certainly just enjoy any excess zwieback “as is,” without making it into crust. Or it would freeze well, too, so long as you wrapped it tightly. Hope this helps – PJH

37. Kay

I’m glad I’m not the only one searching for Nabisco zwieback toast ! The last few boxes I found were in Oregon and Washington state (had relatives searching too) The spices listed on the box are cinnamon, nutmeg and mace. We have been using it for 3 generations to make our Thanksgiving and Christmas stuffing. Christmas of 2008 was our last batch of the real stuff! I made an executive decision this year to boycott ANY stuffing. But this recipe is worth a try !! Thanks !!

38. Shirley Gallagher

I, too, was looking for Nabisco Zweiback toast for my cheesecake crust in
    4 stores recently, to no avail. I am SO glad to have your recipe–at least, I know I’ll still be able to make my favorite crumb crust now. Thanks for the suggestions on making the Zweiback toast with the various breads and purchased products. I WAS able to find several brands of cinnamon rusk toast in my local grocery store, but they didn’t have the same flavor as the Nabisco Zweiback–maybe if I add a little nutmeg and mace to the crumbs I’ll achieve a match! Thanks again for all your tips.

39. Carolyn Horton

Desperate to make my cheesecake with zwieback crust, decided to try this recipe. I was satisfied with the substitution, the cheesecake satisfied my husband (whose birthday cake it was!). My comments: my home made zwieback was harder than the commercial version, so I ground it to crumbs in the blender, which resulted in a finer crumb than rolling it with a rolling pin as I usually did. This finer crumb resulted in a thicker crust than usual–more than I wanted. Solution: next time cut down crumb amount. I found that I needed more butter in the crust than the usual 3 tbsp. to “bind” it together.

40. Lynn J

I was looking for zwieback toast for an old family recipe and the grocery store told me it wasnt made any more. So I went to my local meijer’s and found a product that looked similar called Origional Holland Toast. In small print on the bottom of the label it says 13 rusks, zwieback, tostadas, biscottes, tostas, kredve, skorpor, kavinger, ketszersult, 13 rezin

I dont know what all this means but I’m hoping it’s a very similar product. I found it in the cookie cracker ailse in a section with imported products.

I’m betting it’s pretty much the same, Lynn – perhaps without the hint of spice, maybe less sweet, but certainly the right txture. Hope it works in your recipe – PJH

41. dano

I tried the recipe for zwieiback exactly as written with 4cups of flower…the dough was so dense it never became smooth, soft, and sticky…it was like a cookie dough ( impossible to knead.) The dough never rose much either time, and when twice baked was as hard as a rock BUT VERY TASTY. What did I do wrong…Most other recipes,I’ve seen, for bread have only 3 cups of flour for the same amount of yeast and fluid…HELP How do you measure your flour?See how we recommend here. This will be a very stiff dough and the twice baked will be quite hard,which is why they were used as teething biscuits for babies. Mary@KAF

42. Mary Lou Coughlin

Hey, Keith, I’ll bet if you add a little mace to the recipe (cutting down on the nutmeg as PJH suggests, I’ll bet the flavor will be more faithful to the original Zwieback! I intend to try this recipe for my 7 month old grandbaby (who will drool and make a mess and LOVE it!)
    mlc

43. Sarah

It’s not Nabisco, but you can find Brandt Zwieback imported from Germany. Maybe it is new in stores? We found it in Big Y near Springfield, MA. It’s not long and skinny like the Nabisco Zwieback, but mini toast shaped. My 9 month old enjoyed it and it would be great for making crusts.

44. Lorna in west Texas

I have been looking for a good Zwieback recipe for a long time & I can’t wait to try this one. When I was a little girl in Pittsburgh there was a small bakery at the corner of our street called Jennie’s which was owned by a Polish couple. She ran the store & her husband did all the baking. (I don’t think in all the years we lived there I ever seen him. lol) On Saturdays they made & sold THE BEST Zwieback I have ever had. I remember my mother asking how it was made. Jennie told us they used unsold bread from the end of the week but her husband wouldn’t tell exactly what he did with the bread. lol I guess he took his secret to the grave with him but the memory of his wonderful tasting Zwieback has never & will never leave me. I’m hoping your recipe bring back even a little of that childhood taste & aroma I remember so well.

Lorna, I hope these come close – food memories are hard to match, but when they do – SO satisfying! PJH

45. Carol V

Dear PJH

Banana Turkish Taffy and many other wonderful goods and goodies from the past are at the Vermont Country Store. Enjoy!

46. Kimberly

Hello

I just made these Zwieback loaves today and they smell fabulous! However, my loaves spread out, kind of flattish, in the second rise and during baking instead of tall and tight like your beautiful photos. Could you diagnose my problem? I have not sliced them yet, but I must say it is difficult to wait until tomorrow morning when I plan to slice and toast. Now that I think about it, I may have let them go a little long, by maybe an hour, in the second rise. I have 2 teething babies and it’s tough to keep anything but them on a real schedule, hoping the zwieback will improve my quality of life! Looks like I may have to try again soon as I love these tutorials on you blog, wish I had more time to sit and learn. Thanks for your help,

Kimberly, I’m thinking perhaps your liquid/flour ratio was a touch towards the liquid side. Or, if you weren’t keeping an eye on them during that second rise (understandable!), they may have risen and fallen. At any rate, I’m betting those babies will still enjoy “gumming” them… And don’t worry, you’ll have time to sit and learn. In about 6 years. Maybe. But don’t wish your life away – children grow up all too quickly, even if right now it feels like an eternity. :) PJH

47. Martha Gardner

Thank you for this! I can hardly wait to make the recipe for Zwieback cinnamon toast. I buy the Jacobsen’s toast here in Florida, it’s made in Plymouth, MN, but I have been wanting my own recipe. I remember being able to buy Zwieback growing up in Minnesota years ago, seemed it was a local bread company, I wanna say Zinmaster, and yes in the paper wrapping? I’ve been skimming down through the posts and didn’t notice anyone mention this – but when I was little (40 years ago), my mom made me “milk toast” in the morning with Zwieback. She’d butter and sugar the toasts, lay them in a bowl and then pour hot milk over it. It was wonderful and I still do that once in awhile, but no one I know has ever heard of it! Comfort food! Sounds like a great way to start the day! It’s on my list to try, thanks! Tara@KAF

48. PatriciaSeasons

Thank you, thank you.
    I needed zweiback for crumbs for a cheese cake and not only couldn’t I find it in this very well equipped store, I couldn’t even find anyone who knew what it was.Tweny years ago that would not have happened. I used biscotti. OK, but not exactly what I wanted in flavor.

I think you’ll find the flavor of these mimics the flavor of Nabisco’s pretty well, Patricia. Enjoy – PJH

49. maryasheville

Is there any reason you can’t make a savory zwieback (maybe it would be called a rusk then)? I’m thinking roasted garlic paste, sage, thyme, maybe a little cayenne, etc. I think this recipe without the cinnamon and with a bit less sugar might work (unless less sugar would affect the texture).
    It sounds like a creative plan to me, and yes, reducing the sugar a little would be fine. ~Amy

50. oh thank you!

As one of the babies whose teething included zweiback and later cheesecake discoveries included zweiback, I thank you from the bottomof my heart! Plenty of tasty cheesecakes out there but it just isn’t like Mom’s if the crust isn’t zweiback. Yay! Can’t wait to try your solution.

Glad we could help with your cheesecake – it was a shame when all the zwieback manufacturers quit offering it, huh? PJH

51. Edie Patterson

I printed this recipe out way too long ago-finally made the zwieback over Christmas as a present for our daughter. She grew up on Zweiback-it was our go-to snack for traveling and any time we needed a tummy settler. This recipe nailed it! Thank you from all of us!

Edie, so glad to hear you all enjoyed this “venerable” snack – it’s nice to renew old friendships, isn’t it? :) PJH

52. Carol Ann Burden

I absolutely love the flavour of these biscuits, the same as the Nabisco “Toast Bickies” I used to love as a child. As an adult in Canada, I used to make runs to the States to squirrel away as many boxes as I could find and was gutted when they discontinued production.
    I have a problem though, my 1/2 inch slices are as hard as a rock now that they are dried. Could this be that the dough was not sticky enough at the beginning or could I have dried them for too long? I will break my teeth so must start again … help, please!!

It sounds like they were dried out a bit too long. Definitely keep an eye on them as they are drying and make sure that they don’t become too hard.-Jon

53. Vickie

Thanks for this post. I tried this for my eight month old son. The result? He loved it! And so did my other kids. I blogged about it on my blog “fivelittlefrenches.com” :)

54. TJF

Well, this is my second try at making this recipe…I NEED the Zweibach for an old family cheesecake recipe. Last year, I tried this recipe for the first time, and other than the toasts coming out a bit too ‘ruck hard’, perhaps from over drying, they worked great and the cheesecake crust was 90% just like the original. This yea,r I tried it again, and I must say was disappointed, so I need some pointers. First off, I could not get the dough to rise much at all, leading to a much denser bread than I remember…then, and related, because it was much denser, the slices never fully dried, leaving the middles slightly spongy still, rendering the middles not usable for the crust. So, my question is, how do I get this to rise adequately? I tried not to kneed too much, and after mixing the dough, formed a loose ball, and left it in the mixing bowl covered, but not completely air tight. I knew I was in trouble when the dough only rose maybe 10-20% tops. then, after forming the loaves, covered with a dish towel, and the same 10% or so. I am assuming if it rises properly, the drying issue would take care of itself. Any thoughts?
    Thanks for posting this recipe, and I am committed to getting tit right, because too many family members love the cheesecake! :-)

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi there,
      Typically if the dough isn’t rising, it’s either a yeast issue or a dry dough issue. Test your yeast to make sure it is nice and active and bubbly. If it isn’t nice and strong, we’d say it’s time to replace it.

If the yeast is working just fine, make sure your dough is not too dry. Dry dough will prevent nice air bubbles from forming and lifting the dough.

Hope this helps. ~ MJ

55. Marsha

I use Zwieback for a filling in our almond pastries that we have made for 25 years. Lately I have been baking the zwies with a recipe I found online. Last year, though I did find ONE box at a Big Y in Manchester, CT. They had no more and seemed surprised that I found it on the shelf. the brand was Brandt Zwieback. Rusk. I just saw them online at Amazon and a store in Mass. called Wegmans in case you don’t feel like baking these.