Vanilla-glazed mini scones: Step aside, Starbucks

As test kitchen bakers here at King Arthur Flour, we occasionally labor over recipes WAY too long. Despite the three-strike rule (three failed attempts, move on), Sue and Susan and MaryJane and Andrea and I all plead guilty to expending extra effort on a problem child.

“Just one more try. I KNOW 2 tablespoons of honey is going to make the difference.” And then it doesn’t. And you surreptitiously hide the evidence, and wonder if you can sneak in a “REALLY, I promise this is the last time I’ll do it” attempt, maybe early in the morning…

And then there are the (way too infrequent) grand-slam homeruns. The recipes that go from inspiration to fruition in a couple of hours’ worth of successful experimentation. These are our straight-A students; we preen and bask in their sweet glow.

Scone Nibbles fall into this happy category.

On a recent  trip to the “big city” supermarket (as opposed to our local coop store), I strolled through the in-store bakery to check out their offerings. As a recipe developer, it’s always good to see what’s out there at the grocery store; I figure they do the customer research, and they know what people like (read: will buy). So I often wander around the fresh-baked area, pencil and pad in hand, taking notes.

I moved from the artisan breads (the usual: ciabatta, sourdough) through the cookies (snickerdoodles, hermit bars), then into the pastries. Raspberry nut rugelach shared shelf space with blueberry pie and apple fritters. And… wait a sec, what are these? Tiny two-bite triangles, dipped in a sugary glaze. Are those flecks of vanilla-bean seed I see?

Indeed. Labeled “petite vanilla scones,” they were a rather plebeian name for a great concept, carried out to perfection.

Well, perhaps not utter perfection; they looked a bit bland to me.  “I can do better than that,” I thought, as any enthused baker would.

So I came back to work Monday, and set to work on mini scones. Partway through the project my boss, Karen stopped by.

“What are you making?” she asked. Karen’s a foodie, especially where chocolate is concerned. Whenever she walks through the kitchen, she keeps her eyes peeled for chocolate.

“Well, I saw these tiny little scones, dipped in vanilla glaze…” I began.

“I saw those too! At Starbucks. They were so cute!” I don’t know if I’ve ever seen Karen so excited about a non-chocolate treat. Her enthusiasm validated my desire to recreate these little gems.

img_9048.JPG

A little side trip… The week after I made these scones, I was in Boston at a conference. I stopped by a Starbucks in the hotel, and there they were: vanilla mini scones, 75¢.

img_9049.JPG

Can you see the flecks of vanilla bean? They really were cute, and tasty, too. And TINY: maybe a generous 2” end to end. A nice couple of bites with iced coffee.

Anyway, back to the kitchen. I made mini-scones with mini chocolate chips late in the afternoon; let them sit overnight, then glazed them in the morning.

Hallelujah—a straight-A student! Great scone recipe: check. Perfectly baked: check. Guessed exactly right on the glaze ingredients, and proportions: check. Figured out a fast, easy way to apply the glaze: check. Everyone loved ‘em: check, check, CHECK.

And to top it off, a suspected (and now proven) benefit: the glaze extends the shelf life of these scones from a few hours to a few days.  You can bake and glaze on Friday, then enjoy all weekend—which makes them the perfect hostess gift.

So, after that long-winded introduction, let’s cut to the chase. Scone Nibbles: When all you want is a couple of sweet bites.

img_8420.JPG

These sconelets start like any other scone recipe; in fact, the recipe I use here is for our Guaranteed Scones.  Whisk together King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add cold butter, cut in pats.

img_8421.JPG

Work the butter into the dry ingredients till the mixture is unevenly crumbly; a few bigger chunks of butter, left unmixed, are fine.

img_8426.JPG

Next, pick your chocolate. For miniature treats, I love our semisweet mini-chips.

img_8424.JPG

See how much smaller they are than standard chips? Mini-chips give a better look to tiny treats, and more chocolate in every (small) bite.

img_8422.JPG

Add the chips to the butter/flour mixture.

img_8427.JPG

Stir to combine.

img_8431.JPG

Next, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and milk.

img_8433.JPG

Add to the mixture in the bowl.

img_8435.JPG

Mix just to combine. Inevitably, there’ll be some flour left in the bottom of the bowl; use a plastic scraper or spatula to work it in.

img_8436.JPG

Transfer the dough to a well-floured work surface. I’m using our silicone mat here, simply because it makes cleanup so darned easy.

img_8437.JPG

Throw some flour atop the sticky dough.

img_8440.JPG

Pat/roll it into an 8″ to 8 1/2″ square; it’ll be about 3/4″ thick.

img_8441.JPG

I was having a bit of trouble visualizing exactly how to cut these.  When in doubt, draw it out. Or, as carpenters say, measure twice, cut once. I drew a grid of 2″ squares, then “cut” them all in half diagonally. Ah… light dawns on Marblehead. NOW I get it.

img_8442.JPG

I used my favorite pizza wheel, this slick acrylic model, to cut the dough. Why do I like this particular wheel? Because it doesn’t scare me (no whirling metal blade next to my thumb); and it’s safe for silicone (within reason; obviously I don’t bear down as hard as I can and TRY to slice the mat.)

img_8444.JPG

After making these initial cuts, lift the scones and sprinkle more flour underneath. You want to make sure you’ll be able to get them off the mat and onto the pan, once they’re cut.  Hint: If you do this all on floured parchment instead of a silicone mat, you can simply drag the parchment onto a half-sheet pan, and separate the tiny scones once they’re cut, right on the parchment/pan.

img_8443.JPG

Now, cut each square in half, using a knife…

img_8445.JPG

…or pizza wheel.

img_8446.JPG

Like this. You will have made 32 scone triangles, about 2″ along their shorter sides.

img_8449.JPG

Here they are, arrayed on the pan.

img_8451.JPG

Place in the freezer for 30 minutes; no need to cover. This short freeze solidifies the butter, allowing scones to rise higher as they bake. Why? It takes longer for the butter to melt, so scones are able to rise and set  before the tiny sheets/chunks of butter supporting the flour/liquid matrix melt and collapse.

img_8456.JPG

Into a hot (425°F) oven they go.

img_8457.JPG

About 19 minutes is all it takes to bake up a batch of golden scones.

img_8458.JPG

Remove them from the oven, and let them cool right on the pan.

img_8460.JPG

Next step: making 64 tiny scones out of 32 medium scones. Cut each triangle in half.

img_8462.JPG

Like this. Don’t feel like fussing? Happy with slightly larger scones? No need to cut.

img_8463.JPG

You can see that I left some of these whole, and cut others. Just wanted to experiment with both sizes.

img_8473.JPG

Next, the glaze. Mix confectioners’ sugar and water; add vanilla, if you like.

img_8475.JPG

Stir till smooth.

img_8476.JPG

Get out your handy parchment and put a piece into a pan with sides. Pour about half the glaze into the pan.

img_8479.JPG

Set the scones in the glaze, moving them around a bit to distribute the glaze.

img_8480.JPG

Drizzle the remaining glaze on top.

img_8482.JPG

Use a pastry brush to cover each scone with a coating of glaze. This is easier than it might look; the glaze is very thin and spreads easily.

img_8483.JPG

Like this. They’re sitting in a glaze bath, with glaze all over their tops.

img_8484.JPG

Transfer the scones to a cooling rack to set and dry. As you do, run the sides through the glaze in the bottom of the pan, to ensure the entire scone is coated with glaze. Now, don’t be too crazy here; you don’t have to laboriously ensure that every side of each scone is completely coated with glaze. Just give ‘em a quick swipe through the glaze as you pick them up.

img_8488.JPG

LOVE that parchment— no pan to clean!

img_8515.JPG

Pour the coffee. Serve the sconelets. Go ahead, have more than one—they’re tiny!

Read, rate, and review (please!) our recipe for Scone Nibbles.

Buy vs. Bake

Buy: Starbucks Petite Vanilla Scones, 75¢ each

Bake at home: Scone Nibbles, 9¢ each

comments

1. floribunda

they look very yummy — I’m thinking about adding some cut-up dried cherries, too…

Ah yes, dried cherries are a perfect go-with – thanks for the inspiration! PJH

2. Bob

These look amazing. One general question about this and other recipes. When the recipe calls for “milk”, should it be whole milk? Is the fat in the milk implicitly part of the recipe? The recipe link calls for half&half or milk, so I’m assuming whole milk for this one, but I’ve wondered about other recipes as well – particularly since we usually only have skim in the house. Thanks!

Bob, unless a particular milk is specified, use any kind. The lower fat milk you use, the less tender your baked stuff will be, that’s all. Always a balancing act… PJH

3. Julia

Maybe dried blueberries or dried cranberries instead of mini choc chips?

Would it be simpler just to dip the whole mini-scone in the glaze? Or
    are they too crumbly? The glaze part looks like of messy (though maybe
    kids would love that finger-lickin’ job).

I tried dipping one by one. Messy and time consuming. Trust me, it’s faster to do it the way I showed. though sure, if you want to give your kids a finger-lickin’ job… PJH

4. HMB

I made scones with mini cinnamon chips last weekend … now I’ll have to make ‘em again this weekend — just make them smaller and glaze them!

5. Mike T.

Mmmmm…. looks great PJ! The glaze is definitely a good idea. I usually go for coarse sugar on the scones, but…. :)

Mike, the glaze keeps them amazingly fresh for days… it seals the moisture in. Give it a try- PJ

6. Candace

PJ, is there a page (or may I suggest one if there isn’t) anywhere on the KAF site that details the weights for, say, 1 cup of each of the flours? I know you’ve told us this numerous times but I can’t ever find where, when I need the info. Wish I was more tech savvy! Also maybe the protein content? Thanks – These sconelets look mouthwatering!

Candace, you’ll find the weight chart at the bottom right of the recipe home page; here’s a link to the chart. We do struggle with making things apparent enough; it’s a funny business, Web site design… As for protein content, each flour should have its protein listed in its product page online. Or if you have our catalogue, they should all be listed there. Thanks for letting me know about the weight chart – something else to add to our list of “this could be better.” PJH

7. joy

Wow, that chart is great. Is there any chance another column could be added with the weight in grams? I find grams so much easier to deal with than 16ths of a pound.

Great idea, Joy – I toggle my scale back and forth between grams and ounces all the time. I’ll propose it to the team, but I have to tell you there are a TON of projects ahead of it in line, so it won’t be anytime soon… Thanks for your input. PJH

8. Denise

Oh this looks fantastic!!! I had to make scones a couple of weeks ago for my son’s English class. They were having a poetry reading, making the classroom into a cafe. These would have been perfect for the occasion! It’s sometimes a pain but really quite an honor that whenever these types of things come up, my kids always volunteer me to make something!

I’ll just have to make these for ourselves or maybe the office. YUM!

9. tami

i have tried other choc. chip scone recipes in the past but I am happy to report this recipe is a keeper. easy to make, basic ingredients that you have in the pantry already, quick and easy! my son and i are enjoy one (or two) right now! thanks again for your great recipes and step by step photos.

10. Esther Shacham

Hi PJH
    I have a question not about the scones. SORRY
    I just bought the new cute MARYANN 8″ cake pan item # 5560. I wonder if you have recipes developed for this cake pan, or would you consider developing an interesting recipe for this pan.
    many thanks Esther

There is a recipe included with this pan for a Berry Shortcake, with a cake that has a cream filling. If you didn’t receive it with your pan, contact us and we will send or e-mail it to you! Irene at KAF

11. Sue

When I saw the opening photo I was thinking wow those have a ton of raisins in them! Now of course I realize they’re mini chocolate chips, and no doubt they’re wonderful!! I like the idea of cinnamon chips too.

12. Sue

If substituting cinnamon for the mini chocolate chips would you recommend the cinnamon chips or the cinnamon flavor bites? I haven’t used either product.

Sue, cinnamon chips are softer texture; cinnamon flav-r-bites have stronger flavor. You might try soaking the flav-r-bites in milk for 30 minutes before using in scones, to soften them up. They do well in liquid batters, like muffins or cake; but really need softening for use in drier doughs, like scones or cookies.

13. Deb

PJ, a few weeks ago I purchased the KAF mini scone pan and I haven’t used it yet. Will this recipe work OK in it? Do you you know if it would make 1 batch or 2 and, if you could refresh my memory, what changes in baking time and oven temperature do I make to compensate for the dark finish on the pan?
    Thanks!

Hi Deb – I assume this will work in the mini scone pan – fill the wells about 2/3 full? Is there a recipe that comes with the pan? If so, compare the amount of flour in the recipe with the amount in the Scone Nibbles; that will give you a good clue. The Scone Nibbles is a “standard” scone recipe, so I’d assume it will fit the pan; can’t guarantee, you might need to bake half the batch at a time. You might want to lower the oven temp. by 25°; take them out when they’re brown and a cake tester inserted in the center of one of the center scones comes out clean. PJH

14. Tera

Is there any particular reason why you didn’t do a diagonal cut the opposite direction prior to baking (making them ‘mini’ before popping into the oven) Cutting the scones after they are baked leaves a tender as well as a crisp side – the better to soak up the glaze! Molly@KAF

Yeah, Tera – they got too small and sticky to handle. I tried doing that, but by that time I’d been fussing so long the dough had gotten warm, and making that extra cut, they became misshapen when I picked them up. Much easier to cut after they were baked. PJH

15. Kimberly D

I was wondering after you cut the scones into the final tiny triangle if you could freeze them? I know you said the glaze keeps them fresh for days but with just me and my dad who I take care of. I still wouldn’t want that many at once. My idea is wondering if you could freeze them and than just take out how many you want to bake at a time.

Absolutely, Kimberly – good idea. PJH

16. myrna sossner

Oh, how I giggled when I saw your grid of squares and diagonal cutting line. It looks like a pattern for making half square triangles … the basis for many quilting blocks.

17. Donna Jo

Because I like the orange/chocolate combination, I made these with the Fiori di Sicilia flavoring in both the scone and glaze instead of vanilla. I liked it, but I think next time I will use just a little grated orange zest in the scones and just use the flavoring in the glaze.
    Anyway, I loved the little nibbles and will use them for some of my tea parties.

18. ellen

I almost always make mini scones. if I make full size ones, they end up getting broken into smaller pieces by people who claim that a big scone is just too much. It also makes a single batch easily serve a large crowd. I’m tired of taking out my silicon mat and then cleaning it up afterwards, so now I usually just use my small cookie scoop.

I am also glad to see the link to the weights chart. Is there any chance KAF could print this as a two sided page (or maybe two double sided pages) and laminate it? I’d gladly pay for something like this so I don’t have to keep pulling out cookbooks to look something up. I could print it out myself, but I know I’ll spill on it and need to keep reprinting it.

Ellen, I’ll pass this along to our merch. team. Good suggestion! Thanks- PJH

19. skeptic7

I recently bought Two-bite scones in a grocery store. Perfect for a car trip, its easier to handle and drive with a scone in one hand than a larger scone would be. I like the idea of a glaze to extend the life span of the scone.
    I’ve made scone shapes by forming small circles then cutting into fourths. This might be easier than getting out a rolling pin. I think I’ll try a whole wheat variant of this and report back to you. I could bake a more liquid dough in a large muffin tin and then cut in fourths; or do a drop scone shape and cut into wedges. I find whole wheat scone things require more liquid than white flour scones and so can’t be handled as easily. How much does a two-bite scone weigh?

Sorry, not sure how much it weighs. and it would vary a bit, depending on how careful you were in cutting. And how much “add in” you added. I’d guesstimate a scant 1 ounce? PJH

20. Alvara

Hi, here’s a note for Ellen above. I printed out the charts and put them in plastic sheet protectors for a looseleaf binder. They are clear and she won’t have to worry about spilling on them. You can buy a whole box of them at Staples or any other office supply store. If there’s a will, there’s a way.

21. skeptic7

I made whole wheat scones but with currents and finely diced candied orange peel instead of chocolate chips. I divided the dough into 12 balls and dropped them on a parchment covered baking sheet, then flatten the balls slightly and cut them into fourths. The dough was very sticky and soft as I had used 2/3 cup liquid. However after freezing the dough was easier to handle and I was able to seperate the wedges. I baked them at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes until brown on the bottom. Tasty. I glazed them following the directions and then found the scones slightly too sweet. The glaze is very pretty especially after it has hardened. I’m not sure that its worth while glazing them to preserve freshness. Mine aren’t anywhere near as pretty as the ones on the web. Do you have a recipe for honey glaze or maple syrup glaze?

No specific recipe, but try mixing confectioners’ sugar with hnoey or maple syrup instead of milk or water – should work just fine. PJH

22. Lara James

Those are the perfect thing to whip up with company coming at short notice. You have got to love working there. I can see it in all you do! Yay for you and another great recipe. Thanks! :) lara

23. Mary Ellen

These scones are amazing. They are perfect for nibbling (but I nibbled a lot of them) and while the glaze might keep them for several days they did not last a day at my house. Will definitely make them frequently. Thanks for another favorite from King Arthur Flour. Mrs. Humphrey’s scones are also a long time favorite with my family and friends.

24. Erik

Okay, so how about a recipe for those ‘petite vanilla bean scones’ you saw – I know which ones you’re talking about, I’d love to be able to make them myself. Could this recipe be modified to make those instead?

Sure, Erik, just leave out the chips – and there you have it, petite vanilla scones. PJH

25. Pat

Yummy !!! I love all of the different scone recipes. I have always been a muffin lover, but scones have won my heart over.
    I made these with the cinnamon chips then added maple flavoring to the sugar glaze…..wow!!!
    I bought one of the mini scone pans and love it.
    My question is about the freezing part, I have never thought of doing this. Can this also be done for the large scones?

Love maple – gotta try that. Absolutely, freeze the bigger ones, too; you’ll have to bake a bit longer… PJH

26. peg

can i substitute raisins for chips?

Currants would be better (smaller, for the mini scones), but sure, go for it – PJH

27. sarita

these looks delish! i just bought a clear mini paint can – not knowing what i would do with it – but now i do!! probably 10 of these would fit in the can! put some chocolate brown ribbon on the handle- and there’s a gift! maybe add a gift card for a coffee house..thanks for this recipe.

Great idea, Sarita! I think I’ll “borrow” it this holiday season… :) PJH

28. Audrey

Once again another fine KAF recipe!! I just finished these a little while ago. The recipe was easy to follow and it turned out just like you showed in the pictures. They are soooo goood!!! Thank you!

29. Amy

Wow – I can’t wait to try these! now can you come up with the recipe for the Starbuck’s pumpkin scone? then I would never have to go there!

Amy, try our Curried Ginger Pumpkin Scones – leave out the curry and ginger for aplain pumpkin scone. Let me know how they compare, OK? PJH

30. Chelsey

How did you store the scones? Assuming they are not all eaten immediately :-)
    Great photos also. Can’t wait to try. Thanks.

In a plastic bag on the counter. As I mentioned, they were still fine 4 days later, when the last of them finally disappeared. They stayed MUCH fresher than unglazed scones. PJH

31. bowreality

Sounds lovely. I was looking for a recipe for the Starbucks mini scones. Any idea on how to do the French Toast glaze they have on their regular sized scones? I love the minis but the French Toast glaze is waaay better I think.

Well, I’ve never had one of those scones. I’m not sure how they do that. Frank @ KAF.

Typically, “French toast” taste is a combination of vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon, with nutmeg a bit more predominant than normal. Give it a try – PJH

32. Kari

Made these today for a birthday/hostess gift for tomorrow. Used Trader Joes dark chocolate bars chopped up, and orange jest and juice in the dough and orange vanilla glaze on the outside. They turned out so well. Not sure I would want to go through all the cutting down and dipping on a regular basis (with three males in the house, baked goods don’t have a chance to go stale!) But they look so elegant.
    Is there any reason they can’t be cut to their ultimate petite size before baking? i was afraid they’d burn so didn’t try. :)

Kari, I tried cutting them to their tiny size before baking, but all that working/cutting had made the dough too soft, and they just got smear-y and misshapen. Maybe, if you only work with half the dough at a time and chill it? Give it a try… And yes, you’ll have to cut back on the bake time. PJH

33. Susan Tarman

OK PJ, so, as I was reading your blog, I love when you were checking out the in-store bakery that you were also taking notes. What really struck me as funny was your thought after scoping the “bland” vanilla scone, You quickly thought “I can do better than that!” and do… I However, (although I do not yet have your level of culinary and baking expertise) always say, “Oh, I can do that” when I see foods that I like. So, I just finished the above recipe for my kiddos to have in the morning. A sweet surprise before church! They will love them especially with the glaze. In our “test” kitchen, I am always trying new things. Which is why some of my scones were “more brown” than others because I did not cut in similar sizes. But my family will eat those too! Thank you so much for providing encouragement and lots of recipes. I love this place!!!

Hi Susan – There’s never a failure in baking – somone (if only the birds!) will enjoy whqtever you make. We each have our own test kitchens – mine just happens to where I spend most of my time – talk about a good job.. Glad your kids enjoyed the scones – and keep on testing! PJH

34. Deborah Morris

I would like to make these with extra light olive oil instead of the butter. I now always make your “Fastest, Easiest, Tastiest, No-Roll Pie Crust Ever.” I cut it out of one of your fall catalogues from several years back. Everyone who has tasted it just loves this crust! I make the second single crust into the streusel topping for the pies. I have tried a recipe substituting the butter with the olive oil in a scone recipe, but I can’t remember which recipe I used!!! Do I have to change the proportions of the liquids in the recipe when I use the extra-light olive oil? It seems like I should have to, although I do not think I did when I tried this the first time. If so, how would I do that in this recipe or any of your scone recipes?
    Would I use the same amount of olive oil as butter called for, and then lessen the other liquids? If so, by how much? Thank you for your help. I enjoy your recipes on-line and in The Baking Sheet”. ‘

Hi, Deborah – I’d try using 1/3 cup olive oil, and mixing it into the dry ingredients thoroughly. Then I’d add the egg and vanilla, and as much milk as you need to bring the dough together. I’ve never made scones with olive oil. I’d assume they’d be much more sandy/crumbly, rather than kind of chunky/flaky, since the fat is totally dispersed throughout the dough, rather than left in shards. Interesting – let us know how they turn out, OK? PJH

35. bowreality

Outstanding scones! I made them last Wednesday and they were gone in no time. I used buttermilk instead of milk which works fine. I cut them but froze them for 30 minutes on the cutting board to moved them to the cookie sheet after. Very easy to handle and you can cut them small right before baking. The glaze is a absolute must. I also tried your suggestion for the french toast glaze but LOVED the vanilla one. To me real vanilla is the key.
    Thanks so much for a great recipe!!

36. Wendy

Made these as a housewarming gift for a new neighbor — so delicious and easy to make. I put some in the freezer after baking to see how they would fare (wrapped each one individually in plastic wrap, then put them all in a re-sealable freezer bag); I’m happy to report that they were just as tasty after freezing and thawing as before!

37. Patty Velasco

Great photos and explanations! I can´t wait to make them! Your recipes are always No. 1! Thanks for so very great photos and clear explanations!

38. Deangela

I knocked off (ie found a recipe online) for a vanilla scone to make into mini scones and I used the smallest biscuit cutter from the square biscuit cutter set. There are several sizes and you can pick the size that suits you. just dip the cutter in flour before each cut. They look like little tea cakes if you want something a little “fancier” looking.

39. Nancie

Having never made scones before, I have to say they are very easy to make. I made a few minor changes, I substituted 3/4 C. flour for 3/4 C Semolina flour (my latest obsession!) and it really added quite a nice texture to them. The outside still has a slight crunch even under the glaze. I also added 1 cup chopped walnuts. When I made the glaze I added about 1 Tbsp of honey, I find that it helps keep glazes soft and not crackly and flaky.
    I made this recipe for a potluck birthday celebration at work today. They are the rave of the office this morning. These would be just fabulous for a Holiday brunch. No doubt, I will make these again!

40. Kathryn Henry

This recipe is terrific. I tried the original and loved it and as I am always experimenting I then tried cranberry/orange and then raspberry/white chocolate and then peach with cinnamon bits. I love the way this recipe is so adaptable. I have also tried with the glaze and without the glaze and the glaze just takes the scones over the top and it truly does help retain the moisture of the scone. Another hit for the test kitchen.

I’m going to have to “borrow” some of your experiments, Kathryn… :) PJH

41. Pingback: Scones and baby showers… « Fishes and Loaves

42. MelanieFaith

I just got hooked into scones and am loving the substitutions and experiments here! I used greek yogurt in place of milk/cream and it made super fluffy scones. I also used the cheese grater method for breaking up the butter and it made the ‘crumbing process’ go really fast. Tonight was plain vanilla, tomorrow lemon zest and vanilla glaze for the husband to take to in to work.

Melanie, scones are so simple and such fun to play around with, aren’t they? LIke biscotti or muffins, you can easily come up with lots of flavor combinations, between the scone itself and any topping. It’s fun to play with the science, too – the yogurt yields a fluffier scone because the acid reacts with the baking powder or baking soda. Plus it tenderizes the gluten, yielding a slightly more crumbly/tender scone. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm here! PJH

43. JoAnn

If you want to have a full cover glaze…Just use a fork made for chocolate dipping. This will give you an easy way to cover the whole mini-scone.

44. Lori

Wow. These are SO good. The only thing I did differently was to use half the amount of glaze (because I ran out of confectioners sugar) and I omitted the chocolate chips. I will definitely make these again. Thanks!

So glad to hear you’re enjoying these, Lori – it’s a good recipe to have “up your sleeve,” eh? PJH